Rate the viability of my old detector

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a White's Coinmaster 4900/D

I bought it in 1986 and used it maybe a dozen times. Original first batteries are still in it (not a good idea I know). Once in a great while I'll test it on a piece of metal and it still buzzes. I never found more than pocket change and trash on my few excursions and easily got discouraged, especially when I'd be scanning the grass in a local park and someone would drive by and shout "Eureka!" at me. I have a low tolerance for this kind of ridicule.

Anyway, if I got new batteries could it still be a decent machine or is it too much of a dinosaur? I paid about a third of what a nice modern model would cost today. The visual ID readouts on the newer ones are what's really attractive to me about getting a new one. Living in the desert southwest means I don't have 400+ years of inhabitation like the eastern US but there are still things to look for. Someone told me my machine would still be good for meteorite hunting.

Any suggestions?

Upvote 0

Nicksan

Nov 17, 2005
So. Cal.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Stock and 6" coils
Whites M6 & MXT, Super 12 & 6x8 Detech coils
Miccus Bluetooth headphones & Ratphones
Lesche
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would say its still a good machine and usefull. The VDI is good on newer machines but ya know what, I dig almost everything and I would think most people also do, having a visual indication is not as practical as it might seem.

slow sweeper

Jan 7, 2005
Oregon
Using a detector equipped with a VID can be helpful. But not necessary. Some people rely TOO much on the VDI and miss some good targets. A good target that is deep or is masked by trash will not provide a very accurate VID.
One big plus of a new detector is the weight. You'll be able to swing a new detector quite a bit longer than an older, heavier one.
Also I believe the discrimination, sensitivity, depth, and ground tracking features have improved some since the mid '80's. By how much I'm not sure.
As far as price is concerned you can buy a decent new detector for under $300.00. But stick with one of the "brand" name detectors.

Willy

I did some testing on some real hot ground near Bowie AZ. between a Sov., 4900D, Gold Bug, Gold Stinger, and the 4900D was the deepest. This is probably due to 2 things: high mineralization & the 4 filter design of the Whites. It's also a great detector for covering a lot of ground. ..Willy.

OP
OP
I

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies! Looks like its detecting days aren't over.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread