Just had to do it

NaturalJWL

Jul 19, 2007
NC
I picked up 10 rolls of halfs at my regular bank this morning, a bunch of hand rolled (might have been yours). Some were dated some not, nice mix of different old wrappers. Out of those rolls I got
1 - 68d. I had been saving some older mixed wrappers also.
Well remember that bank with the silver picking tellers, lol. Yep, I had too. Besides the ones already dated 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974, ect. I marked a few other wrappers, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69. Not full dates, just numbers. You know, I think it was the first time they never asked if I had an account there, which I do.
The last time I got any rolls there several months ago, this one teller in particular yelled across the bank, "You know I haven't gone through those yet!"
That was the one who waited one me today. She was grinning ear to ear and putting those rolls in her drawer. Hey what else you going to do with a bank where you know your not getting any silver. All in a days work. Have fun with your hobby.

Upvote 0

bula

Mar 13, 2008
southern utah
Detector(s) used
White MXT
OP
OP
N

NaturalJWL

Jul 19, 2007
NC
This teller now works for a different bank where I do most of my business and is a very pleasant lady to deal with. And yes, I have got a few 40's from her as well as some other oddities (red seal 2's ) and one s mint Ike. It's nothing to get upset about if they collect also, not all are in it for greed, some it is just good fun.

How many books have you filled, or how many grand kids have you set something aside for >?

Everyone has their own reasons for their hobbies.

Mostly, it's just FUN!

Have FUN with your hobby!

Smremm

Sep 11, 2009
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab
The teller was being greedy and violating the rules of the workplace.

This <So stop whining like a little girl. > is being rude. Wow. :o

gotgot

Dec 29, 2008
cdickrun64 said:
How was she rude? By yellin that she hadn't searched the rolls yet? Big deal...like I said.. You would do the same if you were in her position, as would most of us here.

Wow are you serious? So you are used to going into places of business, not just banks, where employees shout, curse, run in a panic to prevent another customer from being served, etc? If I was a different customer who witnessed that transaction, I would have been disgusted with that teller's behavior.

I mean lets be real - that teller was rude and offensive, and while the "appropriate" way to handle it would be a letter to the branch and district managers, that would get her fired, and I think most of us would think that is too much. So, having a little fun with her, I think was the best medicine for her to take.

But this thread reminds me why I only hunt bags and boxes, I will never ask a teller for loose coin/"do you have any large dollars" etc. Too easy to cross the wrong person and have acrimony at pick up banks. All my acrimony is at the dump banks :)

JD-GA

Feb 2, 2010
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Not all banks have policies against employees culling silver. In fact i have only found a couple that i know cant do it out of 100s i have searched. HOWEVER, if anyone is going to yell across a work place bringing unwanted and unneccesary attention to a client then they deserve what is coming to them. Everyone knows i will take up for a teller faster than anyone but let it be known I did ask a teller this year if she wanted me to go back to the car and get my corncob plucker for her to yank that thing out of her @$$.

I got no problem returning some rudeness, just do it with a smile. ;D

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Rich Hartford said:
I agree with you. I've run into similiar situations and worse on numerous occasions. That's why I quit road trips a couple of months ago. I even heard a teller at a bank loudly call a customer a MF.
Of course I've run into tellers who were up front about their coin collecting, and enthusiastically conversed with me about the hobby. These tellers were friendly and I can't say I blame them for discreetly culling silver at work. In their situation I'd certainly do the same.
I had this old maid type of miserable teller who hated to see me come in and dump coins. She was giving me the 3rd degree as to where I got all the halves from. I told her that my great grandmother recently passed away and left me these old dirty halves. Upon hearing that, her eyes lit up, and she started salivating. It was obvious she was a serious silver hunter. Heck,that wanton look on her mug made me wonder if she was getting horny. When she changed the bag she stayed in the back room of the bank a long time,obviously looking for treasure. I'm laughing to myself thinking, how could this nosy-rosey believe that my great-grandmother just passed away? My great-grandmother was born in 1866,144 years ago.What a dope :laughing7:.
She was POed when she had to change the next bag, saying"these coins aren't old"! I quickly grabbed a bicentennial from the hopper and showed it to her,"Oh yeah,take a look at this one, 34 years old"! If looks could kill...
HH
Rich

Rich~ That is too funny!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread