sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yo Sandchip, May I ask how this one came to be in your possession? It is a very nice bottle! I’m a fan of southern bitters/meds and this is an excellent example.
About 5-7years ago I dug a shallow pit that was around 3 feet deep, 3 feet wide and roughly 8 ft long( sounds more like a grave). Anyway, only a broken plate, cup, and a broken sauce came out of it. I knew it was old, and my guess was it was pre-civil war, which was very exciting. At the bottom I found a broken Vicksburg bottle. When I gathered all the shards together and figured out what it was, I was heart broken. Here is an example of the open pontil bottle I dug and below is a great article by Ferdinand Myers about the bottle. View attachment 1734978
https://www.peachridgeglass.com/2015/06/oliver-o-woodmans-sarsaparilla-vicksburg-mississippi/

I bought mine from another collector who at one time had probably the best collection of Southern bottles ever assembled. I really wish that a book had been published picturing his collection before he started letting go. I've never seen a man who could sniff out rare, even unheard of pieces like him. I ended up selling it a few years later. A few years ago, it came up for sale again, and yadda yadda yadda, here we are.

That Woodman's is another I've always admired and wanted, but timing and finances never seemed to jive. At least you've dug one. Even broke, I'd be proud as hell of it. I still don't have a Mississippi pontil, or Tennesse, or NC, or...

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m haunted by this broken bottle. I’m sure you know how that feels

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are some more that I collected over the years. The smallest one turned sideways is a Three in One oil that I found at a construction site . The one on the right on the same picture is a John F Patton City Drug Store York PA . The middle one was a surface find .I have been back to that area several times this year looking for the actual dump site .But have not found it yet .. The other picture is two bottles that are from Maryland .They are some of my better finds even though they are a little beat up around the tops. 001.JPG 004.JPG

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20190722_114312.jpg
20190722_114237.jpg
Got an old whiskey yesterday in port st. Ignace Michigan. Lake levels are over the top high.....much of the banks are falling away in large chunks of sod. This intact big boy was laying in the gravel like someone dropped it yesterday. Made me pretty happy after a long day of finding not much with the detector !!

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Glass half Fool, I really like your City Steam, Hanover York County, PA beers with the rare Universal Seal & Stopper Co. expanded blob tops ! Did you dig both those, and are they embossed on the base with the Universal Seal company info?

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Glass half Fool, I really like your City Steam, Hanover York County, PA beers with the rare Universal Seal & Stopper Co. expanded blob tops ! Did you dig both those, and are they embossed on the base with the Universal Seal company info?
They where found about 100 yards apart and about 35 years The one with the most tint was laying on the surface and the other one was close to two feet deep.I have two Hutch bottles that have the same logo. They where both given to me .And I also have several stoppers that are stamped with Harry F Kuhn on top View attachment 011.jpg 013.JPG The two that I showed in my earlier post do not have any thing embossed with the Universal Seal & Stopper Co

Last edited:

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1735433
View attachment 1735434
Got an old whiskey yesterday in port st. Ignace Michigan. Lake levels are over the top high.....much of the banks are falling away in large chunks of sod. This intact big boy was laying in the gravel like someone dropped it yesterday. Made me pretty happy after a long day of finding not much with the detector !!
That is a really nice one Great find

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I always thought it'd be cool to dig a warranted flask, or a "registered" full pint or quart flask like this. For whatever reason I don't think I've even seen a single shard of these kinds of flasks. I've seen them in flea markets but never while digging. A warranted would be a bucketlister for me, as silly as that might sound haha

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I am ever able to relocate the place I found that flask I will be throwing out my bucket list . I was helping a local land owner do a major wildlife habitat planting . We had about 48 hours to complete the work because we where renting equipment that needed to be returned Mon morning .We worked about 7 hours Fri afternoon and where back at it before 7 the next day About mid morning I planted over a low spot that had numerous ground hog holes scattered in the area . On my next trip through that spot I saw that the drill I was planting with had broken some glass in the area . At lunch I had a quick bite to eat and went to check out the broken glass . I found that flask and a couple other bottles just by digging with my shoe or gloved hand . But we needed to keep moving so I only had a few minutes .I think the area was a cellar hole that was later used as a dump .My plan was to return to get a better look at what was there . A few years went by and the property was sold .Last summer I spoke to the new owner and he said dig if I can find it .But the grass is six feet tall and I do not remember the exact location . If that flask was near the surface I am likely to find some really old things as I get down a few feet .If I am able to hit the right spot I doubt I will need to post old pictures for a little while . I can only hope

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yeah, you've gotta go back when the grass is down again. Finding whole bottles like that on the surface is a pretty darn good sign, who knows what else is there...

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The thing is the area does not get mowed and the grass lays over and actually makes it harder to see the ground . I have been walking the area that is at least close with my metal detector in the hopes that there is metal mixed with the glass . No luck yet but if I find it you might hear my yelling all the way to Southern Ontario

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DSC_0054.jpg

Nice flask I bought yesterday. I passed an English 1860's stoneware master ink bottle, for this.

If anybody would like to trade for this or something, let me know! It's what I do.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sandchip

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For a few minutes each morning, the sun shines behind the bottles but not on them. I snapped a picture, but as usual, it's never the same as real life. It came out a little too bright. It's a lot more subdued, almost serene, if that makes any sense. Later on, guys.

sunlight (2).jpg

Chitlin

Dec 7, 2007
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been forever since I've found any cool anything...

Always loved bottles and this was my favourite subforum of t-net... back when I had the time.

I'll post some pics to see if I remember how to..... all prolly posted before.

Attachments

• tooths2.jpg
    tooths2.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1094 (450x600).jpg
    IMG_1094 (450x600).jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0496 (800x600).jpg
    IMG_0496 (800x600).jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0406 (800x600).jpg
    IMG_0406 (800x600).jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0398 (600x800).jpg
    IMG_0398 (600x800).jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0263 (800x600).jpg
    IMG_0263 (800x600).jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 46

kenstein

Sep 28, 2012
N.E. Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 , Pro pointer, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's one I posted before. I dug this while metal detecting with my grandaughter. IMGP4350.JPG

OP
OP
sandchip

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the A.P. Smith, Chitlin. Great bottle.

Far from knowing anything about poisons, but I've never seen that particular one, Kenstein. Very nice find made even better finding it with your granddaughter.

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DSC_0056.jpgw.jpg

I finally got around to gluing the Hosters bottle back together.

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you can compile me a list of Paterson bottles, jugs etc. I'll keep my eye out. I have seen two jugs, and three bottles from Paterson over the years.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread