just started the hobby(i could use some help)

cameraman

Jun 10, 2008
central mn
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
Hello everyone, i just started the hobby yesterday. Ive always wanted to get into the hobby of metal detecting and treasure hunting, and yesterday i found a brand new bounty hunter landstar for 20 bucks at a garage sale! Its almost never been used and works perfectly,i went on the bounty hunter website and read the manual at least 3 times and today i decided to go out and try it. I searched a total of about 2 hours in 2 local parks and found nothing except a few cans and some scrap metal. Can anyone tell me all of the basics of metal detecting and the best way to pick out and saerch an area and actually find something?

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
For a start, revue the threads on this site.
Kind of like going into the library and asking them to teach you to read.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Test Garden

Cameraman, you need a test garden.

Make a small one at home, or do it on the spur of the moment when you go out to search somewhere.

Start with a penny, a nickel, a dime, and perhaps a pull tab... and if you can borrow a typical ladies ring to put in a baggie... bury them 4" in the dirt, or sand is easier, in a playground...

Adjust your machine so you can recover those targets. (and perhaps reject the Ptab!)

That will get you started.

Each time I turn on my detector I toss out a nickel and beep it, to verify my machine.
It's easy enough to do.
For all practical intents and purposes, a nickel is same as a ring.

If you do not dig pulltabs you will miss out on most rings/jewelry.

BTW, WE like pictures!

HH
Recovers Many Pull Tab Relics

djabend

Dec 12, 2006
Cicero, NY
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300 Sunray DX-1 probe/ XLT Sunray XL-1 probe
Good advice rmptr,
cameraman,
Do you have a yard? Start there. Plus not all parks are detector friendly. Try a tot lot (a woodchip or shredded tire playground for kids)
When you get a signal, wave the coil briskly in and around the center to try to get an idea of its size. (that is if you do not have an all metal pinpoint mode)
After that, slowly raise the coil of the ground above it to see when you lose the signal. If you have a large signal, that goes off even when you raise the coil
a few inches you more then likely do not have a coin. More hunting at different sites will help you to learn your detector and become more comfortable with it.
Keep asking questions as they come up, we are happy to answer them.
HH,
Donny

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
cameraman said:
Hello everyone, i just started the hobby yesterday. Ive always wanted to get into the hobby of metal detecting and treasure hunting, and yesterday i found a brand new bounty hunter landstar for 20 bucks at a garage sale! Its almost never been used and works perfectly,i went on the bounty hunter website and read the manual at least 3 times and today i decided to go out and try it. I searched a total of about 2 hours in 2 local parks and found nothing except a few cans and some scrap metal. Can anyone tell me all of the basics of metal detecting and the best way to pick out and saerch an area and actually find something?

air test your machine by waving a few different coins, rings, pulltabs, etc in front of the coil and see what the machine sounds like. then go out and try it in your yard. swing slowly keeping the coil even with the groung and overlap all of your swings. learn how to properly dig a plug. that is the #1 priority. a properly dug plug will not kill the grass and you wont be able to see where you have dug. very very important. otherwise people will complain and there will be no detecting for anyone. here is a video to watch. keep reading this site. you will learn a ton of stuff! good luck with your new hobby! :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTDKXethwnk

OP
OP
C

cameraman

Jun 10, 2008
central mn
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
Thanx for all of the tips guys! I do have a yard and i have a feild that would be perfect to make a test garden in, and thanx for the tips about pinpointing that was an area of detecting that i had a hard time understanding.

OP
OP
C

cameraman

Jun 10, 2008
central mn
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
oh, and thanx for tips about making a plug i didnt see it until i was done writing my other message. I would never have thought about that.

OP
OP
C

cameraman

Jun 10, 2008
central mn
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
no the detector works fine, it was just cheap because it was a woman whos son moved out and didnt know what to do with the detector or how much it was worth.

radarwill

Feb 8, 2008
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
cameraman said:
no the detector works fine, it was just cheap because it was a woman whos son moved out and didnt know what to do with the detector or how much it was worth.

I'd say $20 for a used Bounty Hunter is fair.
Good luck!

JOe L

Aug 24, 2007
Colonie, NY , That's around Albany
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
radarwill said:
cameraman said:

I'd say $20 for a used Bounty Huinter is fair.
Good luck!

I agree, good luck and keep us posted....

OP
OP
C

cameraman

Jun 10, 2008
central mn
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
Hey guys, I just compared a map of the downtown part of the city i live in with a map of the same exact area from 1872 and i found a park from 1872 is still there now so i think this weekend ill head over there and see what i can find. I'll post my findings after i get back.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
cameraman said:
Hey guys, I just compared a map of the downtown part of the city i live in with a map of the same exact area from 1872 and i found a park from 1872 is still there now so i think this weekend ill head over there and see what i can find. I'll post my findings after i get back.

a word of advice. first make sure there are no laws against detecting city parks. ( in my city, city parks are a no no but county parks are ok) and perfect your plug technique before going to the park. all it takes is one complaint, and believe me, some people are just looking for a reason to complain! good luck with the new machine. i hope you find some good stuff! :wink:

OP
OP
C

cameraman

Jun 10, 2008
central mn
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
k ill do that, plus i probably want to get used to the detector b4 i go to the park anyways once i do get to the park tho il post my findings. Thanx for the advice!

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your field would be a good place to start, the old stuff gets plowed up each year and its easy digging :)

HH
-GC

flyinguy

Apr 27, 2008
central new york
Detector(s) used
2 compass coin pros
cameraman said:
so where's the photos of the tin cans and junk, camera man? i'll send pic. of my junk soon as they dump the dump truck. welcome!

OP
OP
C

cameraman

Jun 10, 2008
central mn
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
oh sorry, i didn't know i was supposed to take pics the stuff i found i just threw out but next time i will.

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
Never mind those that said that $20 for a LAND STAR is "fair," it's unbelievable! Go to eBay and you'll see that they sell from approx. $250 to close to $400! You made an outstanding purchase.

Call BOUNTY HUNTER and request the Instructional Video for the LAND STAR. It'll help you understand and operate your machine although it's not really an instructional video, but it's a good starting visual point.

To pinpoint masterfully with your LAND STAR you don't need to perform any X movements; that's wasted energy. When you are in hunting in DISC and you get a signal and it sounds good (consistent sound after a few coil movements back 'n' forth), switch to ALL METALS and find the target again. Once more, press ALL METALS and find the target again. Eventually, after doing this a couple of times (or 3 times, or even 4 times), you'll find that the signal diminishes in strength from strong the first time to barely a sound. When you get to that "barely a sound" stop and right under the center of your coil you'll find the item, good or bad.

The steps above really happen in seconds once you have it down pat.

So to summarize it, turn your machine on, ground balance it, switch to DISC, hunt, find in ALL METALS and decrease the signal, dig, enjoy!

Silver Fox

OP
OP
C

cameraman

Jun 10, 2008
central mn
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
Thanx for the awesome tips! I didnt know there was an instructional vid ill have to order that. Oh and by the way i went out after seeing your tips about pinpointing with a landstar and it really helped, thank you!!

OP
OP
C

cameraman

Jun 10, 2008
central mn
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
i do have a questoin tho i found a strange peice of metal i think its copper but i dont know how to upload images how do I?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread