Just Venting

rotty23

Nov 9, 2005
Greer SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab quattro and AT Pro
That reclaimed wood can be worth a lot of money....I used to watch a show where this company would buy old buildings like that and dismantle them and sell the wood or rebuild the building someplace else...500 bucks ain't sh**...that would be a insult..don't let them rip you off....sue them...that's a historic building

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
The shed is almost cut in half (ok, maybe not that bad), they said that the tree cut in half when they were cutting it, and swerved into the shed. I still really wanted to keep it, loving the cool look to it, but everyone else wants to accept his offer of tearing it down for free. I guess I will have to face reality and handle the lose. He is also offering $500 if we decided not to take it down (which seems like a small amount, but it would cost $2000 to remove the shed). I was polite to him while talking, and then left to go on a hike on some nice trails nearby, where I found a cellar hole and a ton of stone walls. Photos coming soon.

they couldnt get the tree cut without causing damage, leave the building alone
tell them to get out now, and pay for the damages
thats what the crane is for, close work to buildings and the good trees
maybe you got lucky,they may have knocked the house down with the crane
get em out and deal with their ins.co.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After viewing the substantial damage to your shed I'd get them OFF MY property and begin the process of finding a more experienced and competent outfit to do your work. If they are insured tell them to get a claim filed ASAP. You seem to be an easy going and very nice man. It was probably difficult for you to even post this for us to see. Well, I hope you don't back down to getting what you paid for which is NOT a giant gaping wound in your shed. It doesn't matter to me if it's full of mice, badgers, or polar bears. I used to be in this business as a younger man. Once we were cutting a large oak tree and when it buckled it snapped off a dead branch that landed on a small utility shed. The owners, my buddies, had to pay for the damages and repairs. Accountability or they shouldn't be in business to begin with. My two cents.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
a little camo duct tape and that thing will be fine

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It doesn't matter what shape the shed was in prior to them dropping the tree on it, they dropped a tree on it-plain and simple. Insurance avoidance that's why they're throwing $$$ at you. I'd be saying replacement of a historical building and let them decide where it should be settled from there.
There's nothing wrong with that leaner, as long as the tree is healthy and one of the important things is that you have deep soils for the tap roots. I've got 50 pine within rock throwing distance from the house, many lean a lot more than that. Lost an oak tree 5 3/4' through and about 500+ yrs old. It was on the parks side of the boundary line, $4K to come in with a 70 ft bucket truck to cut it down. The limb that fell on my side was 22" through.
Yup I'd be calling the Zimble & Zimble & Sue law firm :)

VaNana

Aug 23, 2014
Northern Va
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Garrett 350 Garrett pinpointers
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would not accept the money or let them take it. The wood alone is worth much more than that! Last night a car crashed into my 140 year old spring house. I told the insurance company that since it is a historic building I wanted it back the way it was. And that means hiring someone who knows how to do the work historically correct. They told me to get a couple estimates. I hope the company that was removing your trees has insurance.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I assume YOU have homeowners insurance? Call them and give the adjustor the tree companies info. Your insurance will fix the shed and subrogate costs to the tree guys insurance. Make one phone call and get back to hunting your property!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sheesh... that "hole" is worse than I imagined...
Your first picture did not depict that massive crush.

In the first picture I thought I saw a "hole" in the roof. :/

This is a large loss...

Sorry but for me... $500 would not cut it.
Not close.

To build / replace that shed it would be at LEAST 10 times that in materials and time.

Last edited:

walnuttree

Jul 23, 2015
Southern NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, Whites Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hiring a reputable guy or company to trim or remove trees seems to be difficult for even well off homeowners. Many seem to hire the first hack that gives them a good price. No one asks to see proof of insurance. These hacks can even be companies with multiple trucks and equipment. Some of these hacks even use tree spikes to climb a tree that just needs trimming, thus opening wounds that can let in diseases. A legit company will usually have to schedule you in, as they are reputable and in demand. Demand to see proof of insurance. They may even be paying their guys off the books. Tree removal is no joke especially next to structures.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks bad but it is very fixable. It looks worse than it is!

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Their offer is an obscene lowball. DO NOT TAKE MONEY OR OFFER TO TEAR DOWN SHED. They are responsible for their mistakes and negligence. Hope you take the proper route and get compensated fairly through proper repair or money.( value of building as a whole if not repairable)

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with everyone else. They took the job, should have coverage for damages and someone blew their abilities completely on this one. The repairs would have been yours on the rot later but no need for them to speed it along! $500.00, drop in the bucket and reclaimed wood is big business in in redoing houses nowadays. Don't let them get near your house! Check other companies, check for insurance and see what their history is and if anyone around has worked with them, get an idea of any problems or not. Don't settle in this case, I am sure they were not doing this job out of the goodness of their hearts or for chump-change so remember that they have to be responsible and if it were any other job, they would be canned or go to court. Good Luck and let us know if your new locations from your walk turn up anything. Got to have some good out of this!

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
It's gone now, personally I would have gone to court and repaired it, but my family deserved some say in the matter. I don't want to look out the window to watch, it is sad to see it go. I hope to get new a shed built, that looks like a colonial blacksmith shop, with storage on one side, and stalls for animals on the other. Maybe I can somehow have them pay for the costs of that new shed. Anyways, thanks for the advice and support. Rest in peace shed.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with others that advised to stand your ground, stating that your' property and buildings on it are historical and that a $500 cash offer or tear down the shed for free, is a slap in the face. Advise the Tree Removing Company that they are to cease and desist all further tree removal and that you are obtaining a layer or going to see yours, if you already have a good one. They will likely have their Insurance Company take care of it and with the settlement, you can have the shed torn down and rebuilt using some of the salvaged wood and other items from it and the same wood from the area. You would then have a new but still historical building on the property as some of the old wood, hinges, nails, windows, latches and door knobs were used in the rebuild.

That is a beautiful home and barn you have!

Good luck!

Frank

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with others that advised to stand your ground, stating that your' property and buildings on it are historical and that a $500 cash offer or tear down the shed for free, is a slap in the face. Advise the Tree Removing Company that they are to cease and desist all further tree removal and that you are obtaining a layer or going to see yours, if you already have a good one. They will likely have their Insurance Company take care of it and with the settlement, you can have the shed torn down and rebuilt using some of the salvaged wood and other items from it and the same wood from the area. You would then have a new but still historical building on the property as some of the old wood, hinges, nails, windows, latches and door knobs were used in the rebuild.

That is a beautiful home and barn you have!

Good luck!

Frank

I grabbed all the hinges, door rollers, windows, and other hardware at least. Going to use those on the new structure for sure.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Too bad you gave up but it's spilled milk now. You have homeowner's insurance, the tree-cutter (darned well better) have liability insurance.

I would have filed a claim with my insurance agent and let Nationwide's lawyers go after the tree cutter.

I have felled a lot of trees - several beside my home (at two homes). I will climb and hand-saw as necessary to remove weight, then rig lines to "try" and control the fall. A leaning tree of 20,000 pounds isn't going to be much impressed with a 1/2" Nylon line tied off against the direction gravity is calling it but it does help on the straighter trunked "undecided" trees. And sometimes trees are not balanced the way you think and they appear to be. I had one fall "uphill" opposite the way it was leaning and went 180° of my "plan". Happily it was between the garage and a neighbor's house and went in an equally clear spot instead of to either side. Lesson learned (35 years ago).

But that is why the cutter has insurance. Always check BEFORE they start cutting or go to the next quote.

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I grabbed all the hinges, door rollers, windows, and other hardware at least. Going to use those on the new structure for sure.

I am sorry, I skipped through a lot of posts and made the post without knowing that it is a done matter! I am wondering if your Insurance Company can still do something.

Frank

P.ALLEN

Jun 8, 2017
A2 Michigan
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre, Ace 250, CMS magnetics, Garrett pinpointer, Fiskars trenching spade.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
is the property on the NRHP? If so you may get govt. funded restoration $$'s. Or..or..they (tree removal folks) may be on the hook for full vintage restoration if that is the case.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread