Kennedyfan is back …*with the find of a lifetime!

kennedyfan

Jul 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
Bank Tellers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kennedyfan is back …*with the find of a lifetime! {Now with News Article!}

My fingers are shaking as I type this… I can't believe what I just got.

Here's the story: I was taking a forced hiatus for a couple of months since I lost my ability to dump. I'm finally working on getting a business account so I can start dumping again.

So I went to my main bank a couple of days ago, and found a mix of about 10 40%ers and 90%ers from a few CWRs. Not bad! With my toes back in the water, I was ready to jump in...

So then today I really started CRH again, by visiting the half-a-dozen nearby banks.

I'm really glad I did. Because out of a single $200 purchase of CWR halves from the bank closest to my home, $150 of them were SOLID 90% ROLLS.

The final count: I was actually short a couple, so it's 199 Franklins, and 99 1964 Kennedys.

This is freakin' awesome.

Nearly $2500 worth of silver (even at today's pathetic prices)!

The Ag is out there!

300 halves.jpg

Any idea what the half-scribbled chinese character is on the rolls on the double rolls? I checked on Google and it's not "silver" :-)

chinese.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Junoreactor

Apr 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I called up my Chinese friend and she believes that the character is the Traditional Chinese character for 'old'. Since it is Traditional, the owner was either Cantonese (Hong Kong) or Taiwanese. California has a lot of Cantonese people living there, so that would make sense. She said the older generation would definitely save something like that because they recognize the value in such things, unlike today's generation that seems like they have an allergy to coins.

EastKyMiner

Apr 16, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, White's XLT, Garrett GTA 500,Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats!!!!..love it... That's what we like to see.:occasion14:

HH...EastKyMiner

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely awesome.. Congrats on the amazing haul and thanks for posting..

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Originally Posted by bpt233506
Where do the ones full of silver typically come from? Old people who don't know what they have?

No! The person who collected them knew what they were or he or she would not of collected them.
They most likely were cashed in at the bank by their children who had no idea what they had given away.
Or were stolen, again by someone who were clueless as to their worth.

Junoreactor's explanation appears is spot on! The older generation (all races) saved those coins as they recognized their value in such things, only to be lost/squandered by their heirs - most likely while they were carring for the elder.

Last edited:

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Lol. A dirt fisher finds a rusty belt buckle & makes banner, but 300 90%ers won't.

Congrat-u-friggin-lations on an EPIC score!!!

You have to vote banner before it becomes banner. Most CRHers refuse to vote banner to not draw attention.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Originally Posted by bpt233506
Where do the ones full of silver typically come from? Old people who don't know what they have?

No! The person who collected them knew what they were or he or she would not of collected them.
They most likely were cashed in at the bank by their children who had no idea what they had given away.
Or were stolen, again by someone who were clueless as to their worth.

Junoreactor's explanation appears is spot on! The older generation (all races) saved those coins as they recognized their value in such things, only to be lost/squandered by their heirs - most likely while they were carring for the elder.

Even more amazing both the person cashing them in and the tellers have to overlook the value. over 2k passes them right by and they don't even notice

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
Even more amazing both the person cashing them in and the tellers have to overlook the value. over 2k passes them right by and they don't even notice

Some tellers just don't care. Had a teller hand over a Mercury dime the other day. She knew 100% what it was and even tried to educate me. I just nodded my head the entire time.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some tellers just don't care. Had a teller hand over a Mercury dime the other day. She knew 100% what it was and even tried to educate me. I just nodded my head the entire time.

you're exactly right, but I don't think it was the case this time. The tellers here that knowingly hand over silver do it because a single dime is worth $2. Those same tellers would not knowingly hand over 2.5 worth of silver coins! kind of a different circumstance

OP
OP
kennedyfan

kennedyfan

Jul 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
Bank Tellers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Part of it was of course that they were in rolls, so it would have taken a teller with some time and curiosity to open up the rolls. And of course to recognize that they were something special. I'm sure there are some tellers who do this, though. We call them cherry pickin' tellers!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread