Kid budget

jkng

Sep 14, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Any ideas on how a 11 year old gets $500 for a box of halves? Or any ways I can earn money?

ForumRunner_20121003_200342.png

^ All I can get

Upvote 0

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
There once was a saying that I used to say
Back in the day when I met Dre
I used to sit and goof on the phone with my friend proof
That if I went gold, I'd go right through the roof
He said what If I went platinum, I'd just laugh at him
That's not happening, that I can't fathom
Eighty something million records worldwide later,
I'm living in a house full of assets

Needs more profanity and angsty-teenager-iness to it.

CurlysGold

Sep 23, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sell some finds to build your bankroll. Once you get some cash, you can search more = more silver.

This is the best advice to keep your bankroll growing.

Find a LCS and see if there's anything in particular that they are looking for.

Depending on the condition clad can be worth quite a bit. Kennedy Half Dollar (1964 to Date)

Bring your parents with you to the shop so the owner won't think he can cheat you or "lose" a coin.

Happy hunting!

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The three rolls in the picture look good (they look like CWRs) - just keeping picking up a few like that at a time. You'll probably do better than $500 boxes of MWRs, percentage-wise, and won't tie up as much cash.

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Borrow cash. $500 can get you a long way in crh'ing as far as ROI. I got my start borrowing $5k at 10% interest from my parents... Doubled my money in a year, and within a few more years, had a pretty substantial stockpile to search with. Obviously, with $500, you'll get better returns as long as you're in a decent area, and you should be able to double your money in 6 months if you do 3-4 boxes a week.

Virgil

Sep 25, 2012
Georgia (And that's as specific as it's gonna get!
Detector(s) used
Eyes and hands, mainly. Sometimes I whip out the ol' sniffer...
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd suggest a varied approach, honestly - whatever works best for you. Personally, I'm a 28 year-old working bum, so I take my crappy paycheck and CRH with it until I have to put it into bills and such. I'm finagling with my girlfriend to borrow another $500 that I'll basically use like Em does, swapping out for halves and refilling from my own coffers when needed. Personally, I really want my CRH fund to be $500-$1k, as opposed to $0-$500. Anyways, just figure out what works best for you, bud, and be careful not to overextend yourself cash-wise. Happy hunting!

OP
OP
jkng

jkng

Sep 14, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
I hope my parents lend me 500$. Gonna ask!

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope my parents lend me 500$. Gonna ask!

Offer them 10% annualized interest. You'll still make way more than 10%, and it's a better return than they'd get from random stocks, having it sit in their bank account, or CD's, or any other real form of savings. Win/Win situation.

OP
OP
jkng

jkng

Sep 14, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
bigscores said:
Offer them 10% annualized interest. You'll still make way more than 10%, and it's a better return than they'd get from random stocks, having it sit in their bank account, or CD's, or any other real form of savings. Win/Win situation.

Wouldn't 10% be 50$? And don't people find like 1 40% in a box these days? Hmmm...

Senor

Sep 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wouldn't 10% be 50$? And don't people find like 1 40% in a box these days? Hmmm...

The 10% is over 1 year. How many boxes could you cycle through with $500 in one year for a cost of $50.

Eminem

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Motor City
Detector(s) used
Not sure
Primary Interest:
Other

Im sure you can prob find more than 10 40%ers in a year. 10 40%ers will cover the 50 dollar cost. Although the year is almost over so idk

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All depends on the terms. I would ask them if you could accrue the interest and pay when you sell. Accrue means to track the interest monthly, i.e. $500 * 5%/ 12 months = $5 a month. Also, if you hit a big score, try to pay down the $500 or pay all accrued interest to date. Paying interest monthly by selling keepers could keep you parents trusting you and interested. For the interest accrual, ask if you can pay interest whenever you have enough to sell, not pay on a yearly or mothly basis. Say for the first 3 months you don't sell. Then you would keep notes that you owe Pops $15 interest and will pay when you sell.

Hope this helps! HH

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I borrowed the $5k, I sold 40%ers to cover costs (Including paying down the capital and interest, as well as reimbursing for gas), and held onto the 90%.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Forget college, kid. One in two grads can't find jobs. The ones that do still move back in with mom and pop. My suggestion is plan to go to mining school. Mining grads are earning more than Harvard grads today. Or, get a union job. Mine puts my engineering degree to shame.

Someone here mentioned odd jobs. Maybe you could find out if any neighbors have yard work, etc, you could earn cash that way. That's what us kids used to do. Paid 10 cents each, to rake a 3-acre yard.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jkng

jkng

Sep 14, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the advice everyone. And about the kid job thing: I live in an apartment so there's not much I can do.

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any ideas on how a 11 year old gets $500 for a box of halves? Or any ways I can earn money?

View attachment 683431

^ All I can get

K, I know the answer to this one. Ask Grandma!!!! and put on the puppy dog look. tell her she wont loose the money it is a loan and she can (help )go through the box too as she will prob know what silver looks like. Good luck dont let some of these folks get to you. I wish my kids were as happy to look for silver as you guys( they are not) :( . Keep it up stay in school and happy hunting.

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
yeah, forget college. I have a associates and been looking for a job using it for 16 years. In those 16 years I have been working as a cashier. You can make more in silver doing that then anything else. That's where I have gotten 99% of my silver. Go around your neighborhood if you have good neighbors and ask them for extra things to do for money. If they ask, tell them you are saving up to go to the coin shop since you like coins. Ramp up the cute and innocent factor. No one has to know you are into CRH. If you are in a state that has bottle returns, go walking or biking and do that. Or better yet, go through the garbages at the stores and get the ones that people throw away that don't have refunds. Crush them and take them to a scrapper. If people give you grief about it. Tell them you are recycling and making more room in their garbages for other stuff.

Hope that helps,
Smiles and hugs,
Garoulady

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forget college, kid. One in two grads can't find jobs. The ones that do still move back in with mom and pop. My suggestion is plan to go to mining school. Mining grads are earning more than Harvard grads today. Or, get a union job. Mine puts my engineering degree to shame.

Someone here mentioned odd jobs. Maybe you could find out if any neighbors have yard work, etc, you could earn cash that way. That's what us kids used to do. Paid 10 cents each, to rake a 3-acre yard.

This, this, for the love of god, this. My best friend and I have the same job. He got it with no degree and only a HS diploma. I have a Bachelors. He just bought a brand new car, I'm paying $500/month in student loans.

Don't listen to all those teachers and guidance counselors and all those other idiots telling you to go to college. It's not necessary... bust your ass and you'll get anywhere you want to be, and your employer will pay for you to get educated if they think it's necessary.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread