Kneeling Waiters

S

stefen

Several high end Steak / Lobster restaurants we patronized recently, the waiters kneeled at the table to take our order...Cristina and I both found this to be rather odd and extremely uncomfortable...

Its a subserviant (submissive) stance which is a big turn-off...

The second time it happened, we both said either stand to take our order or inform the manager we want to talk to him...he stood...

The second turn-off is a waiter or waitress giving us a salutation of "Hey Guys" or "Hey guys, what are we having". My immediate response is to point at Cristina and ask the waitress if she looks like a guy?...or when you say "we" does that mean you're joining us for lunch?

Are these new trends to come across in the familiar attitude?

When I patronize a high end restaurant for its quality food and atmosphere, I'm not there to become a buddy with the staff...to me, this lowers the standards of that restaurant to that of a fast food joint...

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Are you talking about places like Red Lobster and Outback steak house? If so, yeah they do that on purpose. Supposedly It makes for a friendlier dining enviornment. I am sure they spent a lot of money on a study so they could impliment it into their SOP. Personally I don't mind it but I like to joke around with waiters and waitresses.

Charlie

OP
OP
S

stefen

Years back, my partner and I worked a trade show in Vegas and a dwarf entertainer occupied the adjacent booth space...

We watched his duplicating body actions as he was talking to a rather tall women.

She bent over to talk to him and he bent over also...then she put her hands on her knees and he mimiced her...finally she kneeled down on the floor and he did the same...

I have thought about doing this to the next waiter that kneels down...

What's next...full prostration?

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't sound like you were at a 'high end restaurant', stefen. I could see them kneeling down if it was a loud atmosphere so they could hear better, but it shouldn't be that loud in one of the better establishments. That sort of service would fit in better in the type of places I patronize, where everybody has a nickname, and I prefer the barmaid calls me baby and tells me she loves me when I tip. (Drives Maria up the wall, too!) And don't forget, tip in accordance with how good the service was.

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only times that happened to us were once when it was exermely noisy and when he have kneeled he and we could make eye contact and hear better. The next was when we had the grankids and when we looked at the kids and said what would you like the waiter came to the kids level and made eye contact with them it really made them feel good like they were getting to choose not just the grown ups. So it was good on those.

OP
OP
S

stefen

RGINN said:
Don't sound like you were at a 'high end restaurant', stefen. I could see them kneeling down if it was a loud atmosphere so they could hear better, but it shouldn't be that loud in one of the better establishments. That sort of service would fit in better in the type of places I patronize, where everybody has a nickname, and I prefer the barmaid calls me baby and tells me she loves me when I tip. (Drives Maria up the wall, too!) And don't forget, tip in accordance with how good the service was.

Lets see, I described that we were at a high end Steak / Lobster restaurants and you said it doesn't sound like we were....did I miss something here?

I know I speak with an accent...but my description was in plain english :icon_scratch:

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stephen, maybe they were genuflecting. You know; giving thanks that they actually had some paying customers. :dontknow:

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The place we had that happened were Applebees, a family type place and a Red Lobster, and once at a Olive Garden!

Forgot last month Rib Crib! he got down to Jacobs level Jacob was in a wheel chair! But the waiter said something about being busy and Jacob had not made his mind up so he knelt kinda and his boss couldnt see him and then he waited.

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
stefen said:
RGINN said:

Lets see, I described that we were at a high end Steak / Lobster restaurants and you said it doesn't sound like we were....did I miss something here?

I know I speak with an accent...but my description was in plain english :icon_scratch:

Stefen, while I cannot imagine the turmoil this must put you through.....please could you use a capital E for English old chap?

You used capitals for everything else, even a Crustation :D

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wondering if the waiter was over 6 ft. tall,if so he was probably doing this so his back won't hurt,I'm 6'4" and I often do this so my back doesn't hurt. :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
S

stefen

Shortstack said:
stephen, maybe they were genuflecting. You know; giving thanks that they actually had some paying customers. :dontknow:

When I enter a restaurant and see the waiters wearing knee pads...I'm out of there...don't have time for a Monica Luwinski approach to fine dining...

shaun7 ...I can't beleive that you have the nads to correct my use of the English language and yet you used lower case letters for your name... :laughing9:

Produce Guy...I'm 6' tall when I walked in and when I left...didn't have a back problem...gastric problem maybe
:laughing7:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, after describing the service you received, how would you still give them the label of a 'high end restaurant'? I got the accent reference. I speak 'english' (no need to capitalize it) and about 4 other languages when I need to. If customers as a whole believe the service is poor, the establishment has no valid claim to being 'high end'. Go to a burger joint, where perhaps your expectations won't be so high.

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
stefen said:
Shortstack said:

When I enter a restaurant and see the waiters wearing knee pads...I'm out of there...don't have time for a Monica Luwinski approach to fine dining...

shaun7 ...I can't beleive that you have the nads to correct my use of the English language and yet you used lower case letters for your name... :laughing9:

Produce Guy...I'm 6' tall when I walked in and when I left...didn't have a back problem...gastric problem maybe
:laughing7:

Ha......do you think I'm silly enough to use my real name ??? :D

OP
OP
S

stefen

That or some village is missing its idiot socially challenged personage :hello

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
stefen said:

I'm sorry Stefen, I've obviously upset you! Which I never meant to do :-\

allan

Oct 7, 2008
Vega Baja
One general rule of thumb I use is to never ,ever make the people that will be handling my food mad.if I feel the service isnt up to my standards I leave and never go back. simple and no fear of infections or ingestion of unknowns :icon_scratch:

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
you should never kneel or bend over to take an order
never try to make people comfortable, they came to eat, not make friends
always address patrons as Miss, Mrs, Ms or Mr regardless of age

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:
stefen said:

You have also spelt his name wrong :laughing7: it's a small case s :laughing7: perhaps he wanted a Waiter like this :dontknow: :laughing7:

SS

Attachments

• jlo0164l.jpg
    jlo0164l.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 316

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
Silver Searcher said:
shaun7 said:
stefen said:

You have also spelt his name wrong :laughing7: it's a small case s :laughing7: perhaps he wanted a Waiter like this :dontknow: :laughing7:

SS

I noticed that too :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread