Knights' Gold . . . 5,000 Gold Coins . . . Largest KGC Treasure Ever Discovered

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ECS:

Who took more - the Confederate government or the Union army?

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Sorry - I thought it was clear.

The citizens of the Southern states.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
You realize that they believed that had a Constitutional right to succeed under the 10th Amendment?

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ECS: That has nothing to do with the Confederate government confiscating food and other supplies from the citizens of the Southern states - paying for it with worthless paper money. Severe hunger if not actual starvation was the rule in South during the Civil War. And that situation was exacerbated by poor fiscal policy, the impounding of provisions, and a severe lack of adequate bulk transportation.

I have no interest in trying to litigate succession. Over 620,000 Americans died to settle that issue. I just finished listening to a fascinating Great Courses series of lectures on Abraham Lincoln and his rhetoric. I agree with his views on the matter.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
...and that, Old Bookaroo, is your way of justifying Sherman's looting and scorched earth policy in Georgia and South Carolina conducted against civilians, mostly old men, women, and children?
As for Florida, with the exception of the battles at Olustee and Natural Bridge, where the Union actually faced Confederate military and were soundly beaten, the Union conducted war against the civilian populace .
On several sites, I have provided links to diaries that give accounts of Union atrocities in Florida, where they considered the "rebels" fair game.
After the South succeeded, did they go to War with the Union North that they left behind, or, did the Union invade first declaring the articles of war?

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ECS: I'm not trying to justify anything. Since every major battle of the Civil War was fought in or near a major city, it was obviously very difficult for civilians. This was, indeed, the first modern war. There were a great many atrocities committed by both sides. The Confederate army shot prisoners of war. As did the Union. It was ugly in Missouri and Kentucky as well as in Florida.

The War began when President Lincoln ordered Fort Sumter resupplied and The Star of the West (from memory - I didn't look it up) was fired upon. Again - this is not a topic I'm very interested in. The War is over. The legal issues settled. The moral issues, if you will, await people being willing to reconcile. We can be like Switzerland or we can be like Yugoslavia and the Balkans.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Old Bookaroo, all I have been stating is this, the Civil War in Florida was far different than the Civil War fought "near a major city", it was directed at the civilian populace with blockades, raids, looting, burning, and occupation.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/treasure-legends/443381-csa-treasure-s-treasury-4.html

In the majority of books about the Civil War, Florida's mention most times is one paragraph or a footnote at best, probably because on how the Union conducted war in that state.
The above link contains an abundance of information on what happened and where some treasure and relics from that time can still be found in Florida.

PS: I have noticed that you have read some of these posts.
I hope you found it informative.
One must take into account that these civilians became a part of a "new country", whether they wanted to or not, but still had to go on with making a living the best way they could., which, was supplying their "country's " army with supplies, goods, foodstuff, and even spider webs for bandages. These people were not military but were invaded by the opposing country's army for their efforts of trying to survive during the times.
A lot of mythology has grown out of this war, much of it reenacted for entertainment, not accuracy, but to promote the accepted clichés.

Last edited:

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ECS: Most of the books written about the Civil War (and I believe there has been at least one published every day since April of 1865) are military histories - the guns and bugles theory of history. Florida is probably more like New Mexico than Virginia.

Interesting you mention the salt works being destroyed. They made soft targets because they were always located next to the ocean - and blockade runners used them as aids to navigation.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Last edited:

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
It appears the Official Record covered Florida during the Civil War:

The War of the Rebellion: a Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies
Author: United States. War Dept.
Title: The War of the Rebellion: a Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies
Other Title: Official records of the Union and Confederate armies
Publisher: Govt. Print. Off.
Place of Publication: Washington

Series I: Contains the formal reports, both Union and Confederate, of the first seizures of United States property in the Southern States, and of all military operations in the field, with the correspondence, orders, and returns relating specially thereto, and, as proposed is to be accompanied by an Atlas. In this series the reports will be arranged according to the campaigns and several theaters of operations (in the chronological order of the events), and the Union reports of any event will, as a rule, be immediately followed by the Confederate accounts. The correspondence, etc., not embraced in the "reports" proper will follow (first Union and next Confederate) in chronological order.

Volume I. 1880. (Vol. 1, Chap. 1-8)
Chapter IV - Operations in Florida. Jan. 6-Aug. 31, 1861.

Volume VI. 1882. (Vol. 6, Chap. 15-16)

Chapter XV - Operations on the coasts of South Carolina, Georgia, and Middle and East Florida. Aug 21, 1861-Apr 11, 1862.
Chapter XVI - Operations in West Florida, Southern alabama, Southern Mississippi, and Louisiana. Sep 1, 1861-May 12, 1862.

Volume XIV. 1885. (Vol. 14, Chap. 26)
Chapter XXVI - Operations on the coasts of South Carolina, Georgia, and Middle and East Florida. Apr 12, 1862-Jun 11, 1863.

Volume XV. 1886. (Vol. 15, Chap. 27)
Chapter XXVII - Operations in West Florida, Southern Alabama, Southern Mississippi (embracing all operations against Vicksburg, May 18-Jul 27, 1862); and Louisiana, May 12, 1862-May 14, 1863; and operations in Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona, Sep 20,1862-May 14, 1863.

Volume XXVI - in Two Parts. 1889. (Vol. 26, Chap. 38)
Chapter XXXVIII - Operations in West Florida, Southern Alabama, Southern Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, and New Mexico. May 14-December 31, 1863.
Part I - Reports, Union Correspondence, etc.
Part II - Confederate Correspondence, etc.

Volume XXVIII - in Two Parts. 1890. (Vol. 28, Chap. 40)
Chapter XL - Operations on the coasts of South Carolina and Georgia, an din Middle and East Florida. June 12-December 31, 1863.
Part I - Reports
Part II - Correspondence, etc.

Volume XXXV - in Two Parts. 1891. (Vol. 35, Chap. 47)
Chapter XLVII - Operations in South Carolina and Florida, and on the Georgia Coast. January 1-November 13, 1864.
Part I - Reports, Union and Confederate Correspondence, etc.
Part II - Union and Confederate Correspondence, etc.

Volume XLIV. 1893. (Vol. 44, Chap. 56)
Chapter LVI - Operations in South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida. November 14-December 31, 1864.

Volume XLVII - in Three Parts. 1895. (Vol. 47, Chap. 59)
Chapter LIX - Operations in North Carolina (from February 1), South Carolina, Southern Georgia, and East Florida. January 1-June 30, 1865.
Part I - Reports
Part II - Union and Confederate Correspondence
Part III - Union and Confederate Correspondence

Volume LII - in Two Parts. 1898. (Vol. 52, Chap. 64) SUPPLEMENT
Chapter LXIV - Operations in Southwestern Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama, West Florida, and Northern Georgia. January 1, 1861-June 30, 1865.
SUPPLEMENT Embracing Documents Found or Received Too Late for Insertion in Volumes 1, 4, 6, 7, 10, 15, 16, 17, 20, 23, 24, 26, 30, 31, 32, 38, 39, 45, and 49. [Note: The number in brackets at the lower left hand of each document indicates the volume to which it properly belongs.]
Part I - Reports, Union Correspondence, etc.
Part II - Confederate Correspondence, etc.

Volume LIII. 1898. (Vol. 53, Chap. 65) SUPPLEMENT
Chapter LXV - Operations in South Carolina, Southern Georgia, Middle and East Florida, and Western North Carolina. January 1, 1861-June 30, 1865.

SUPPLEMENT Embracing Documents Found or Received Too Late for Insertion in Volumes 1, 6, 14, 28, 35, 44, and 47. [Note: The number in brackets at the lower left hand of each document indicates the volume to which it properly belongs.]
Reports and Correspondence.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
...and CSA Sec of State Judah P Benjamin's cousin, David Levy Yulee's Margarite Plantation and sugar mill at Homosassa that raided, looted and burned by the Union navy.
What is interesting, US Gen Joshua Chamberlain bought that property after the war, and today it is Homosassa State Park.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
It appears the Official Record covered Florida during the Civil War...
The book by CSA Capt J J Dickinson, Florida's swamp fox is a better account as well as the diary of Jasper Dykes who rode with Dickinson. Both are online and linked on other threads, and are a much truer account that the sterile "official" reports that you posted.
The Union account of the March 10, 1865 raid on the Marshall Plantation and Holley's Farm and Grist Mill in Marion county is quite different from Dickinson's and Dykes's account, who chased them back through the forest to St Augustine and recovered the looted goods.
Sometimes the "official" account is written for the benefit of the writer.

Last edited:

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ECS:

Your post on the other thread referenced the Battle of Olustee and the unburied Union soldiers killed there.

"A regrettable episode in the aftermath of the battle was the apparent mistreatment of Union black soldiers by the Confederates. Contemporary sources, many from the Confederate side, indicate that a number of black soldiers were killed on the battlefield by roaming bands of southern troops following the close of the fighting."

"Mistreatment?" That's a remarkable term for shooting (or beating to death) the wounded and POWs.

http://battleofolustee.org/battle.html

There's also: http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/02/20/confusion-and-courage-at-olustee/?_r=0

Well documented.

As is: http://www.thiscruelwar.com/likely-massacre-of-black-pows-following-the-battle-of-olustee/

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
On post# 48 on the thread referred, I did not whitewash the afterward events, nor did I justify those horrendous activities.
One must take into account that many of the Confederates at the battle has families that were mistreated, disposed, looted, or had their homesteads burned while they were away fighting the war.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Well, Gen. R. E. Lee LOVED the Great Salt Peter Cave of "West Virginia"... AND! It was "Land-Locked"

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can go to any County Clerk's Office in Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina or any Southern State and you can find land that was confiscated by the Union after the Civil War ended. The soldiers from the North that fought for the South lost their lands for back taxes because they could not go back home and pay the taxes. I know one in particular that worked for the US Treasury before the War and worked for the CSA Treasury during the War. He lost his farms in Fairfax Virginia for a miserable twenty some odd dollars. The airport in Hawaii is now named for the crook that stole all the Confederate Officer's land in the North. General Robert E. Lee's land handed down from George Washington was lost to a Yankee General that wanted to make an example of Lee's farm while he was away at war--------Now we have the Arlington National Cemetery on all of his land. All wrongs during the war can not be righted and I fear that we are on the brink of the same thing happening again in the next couple years or so. Only God Knows.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ECS: What does "take into account" mean? Let the white wounded live and kill the Black POWs?

History tells us that is what happened. Sources from the South and the North.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
You do seem to want to argue this point. Most of the occupying Union force in Florida were the Union Colored Infantry, so please explain the attitude of Florida's Confederates and civilians towards these troops.
I am just posting what occurred, their action are inferred due to the treatment of the Northern aggressors.
It is very easy to make judgements on the motivations of those who lived the events 150 years ago.
"Keeping score in time of war, takes a Superman"- Country Joe & the Fish

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread