Knights' Gold . . . 5,000 Gold Coins . . . Largest KGC Treasure Ever Discovered

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ECS: If that is true, then how could you predict the actions of someone you've never met?

And you ignore the body of evidence - happily, the massacre of wounded and other POW's (Black or white) wasn't the norm. This atrocity stands out not only because it was very, very wrong but also because it was so unusual.

Of course, there were other instances of Confederate troops shooting captured Union soldiers who happened to be Black. But it didn't take place every time.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
It was an comment on human nature when one can say they would never such and such and react totally different under adverse conditions, not a prediction, Old Bookaroo.
Do you take everything written on these threads personal, or do you just have an axe to grind?

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
ECS:

And you ignore the body of evidence - happily, the massacre of wounded and other POW's (Black or white) wasn't the norm. This atrocity stands out not only because it was very, very wrong but also because it was so unusual.

Of course, there were other instances of Confederate troops shooting captured Union soldiers who happened to be Black. But it didn't take place every time...
Fort Pillow ring a bell? That was not in Florida.
Happy now?

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ECS: One of us is confused by the meaning of the word "you."

For some reason you keep trying to twist and spin and make it personal.

Why?

That's a question only you can answer.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ECS:

That your "logic" is circular. And your recitation of historical events is not error-free.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
If you say so, Old Bookaroo, if you say so.
Reckon all these posts of yours has been a demonstration of that objective approached to history that you mentioned on another thread.

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
YEP!
Are you now finished with highjacking Phillyjack's threads with you platitude judgements of others posts concerning historical events?

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ECS:

"The Confederate States of America was acknowledged as an country independent from the United States by several nations, including the United States under Lincoln."

Post #134.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
ECS:

"The Confederate States of America was acknowledged as an country independent from the United States by several nations, including the United States under Lincoln."

Post #134.

...and you dispute this statement?
Please explain if the CSA was not acknowledged as a separate country from the US, that England and France gave monetary loans and/or conducted trade. Mexico giving all those silver dollars for the Cause. and why the Union had to invade the Confederate States to bring them back into the Union, and having them go through "READMITTANCE".
While you are at it, explain the real purpose of "RECONSTRUCTION" and the attitude of "punishment" expressed by those of the Radical Republican Congress.
So far most of your comments on this and other threads carry all the weight of revisionism based on slanted and prejudiced personal beliefs, and they reveal a lack on true understanding of the subject matter being discussed on these threads.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ECS:

You ask me to explain in order to prove your point. Since your statement is factually incorrect I can't.

Who is trying to revise history?

Recognition of the Confederacy - 1861-1865
Introduction

One of the most important victories won by the United States during the Civil War was not ever fought on a battlefield. Rather, it was a series of diplomatic victories that ensured that the Confederacy would fail to achieve diplomatic recognition by even a single foreign government. Although this success can be attributed to the skill of Northern diplomats, the anti-slavery sentiments of the European populace, and European diversion to crises in Poland and Denmark, the most important factor stills rises from the battlefields on American soil. The Confederate states were incapable of winning enough consecutive victories to convince European governments that they could sustain independence.

https://history.state.gov/milestones...65/confederacy

All you need to do is post links to the diplomatic recognition by England and France. Such events, of course, would have next resulted in a declaration of war, so I think you're going to struggle to find the evidence.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
If you say so, Old Bookaroo, but it is curious on WHY you go out of the way to disprove other TN members posts.
If it wasn't for similar posts disputing Franklin, L.L., and others, I would begin to think it was a personal thing with you.
Care to explain?

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Can we keep the FOCUS on the BOOK, please... there IS a Civil War Forum, elsewhere... on TN, THANKS!

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ECS:

I'm interested in facts. Details matter if someone is presenting information they contend is accurate. Details matter a great deal if someone is writing an account very different from the version that is generally accepted.

Let me give you an example. I was working on a series of articles about shipwrecks. Some were written to prove sunken treasure yarns were myths (Brother Jonathan, Yankee Blade, Rio de Janeiro). BTW - I was probably the first writer in "treasure magazines" to include a bibliography. I know I was the first to document the facts about the Brother Jonathan and the US Army payroll that went down with her. Other articles were about losses I found interesting.

I began to research the story of Chicago's "Christmas Tree Ship." I'd read the story in several books - including one by Dwight Boyer. So I go to the Chicago Public Library and request the microfilm and begin to read issues of the Chicago Tribune for December in the year in which he said she was lost.

Nothing.

So I start on December of the next year. I can't remember now, but it was either one or two years later than the book said that the Rouse Simmons was lost that I located the contemporary accounts of the tragedy. And almost every writer couldn't spell the name of her master and owner correctly.

Why would I believe anything that writer wrote about the wreck if he can't get those simple details correct?

You brought up franklin. He (or she? I don't know) posted errors about the blockade of the South during the Civil War. I pointed them out. If I post something that is wrong (and I have) I appreciate the mistake being identified. I find it helpful. I care about being correct.

For some reason you continue to revert to the theory it's "personal." Why? I have no idea. Apparently that's the way you view the world.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Relevance appears to depend on whose ox is being bored.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread