Large cents DO exist in Ohio, 15 mins from home...who knew?

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep; got the first snow of the year the day after Thanksgiving. Was I going to spend my morning fighting traffic and crowds for deals? Psh. Slept in and made it out to the local woods that we've hit for years. Mirage led me to a spot farther in that he recently found some modern silver and wheats in. Realizing he worked the area pretty good, I started wandering out deeper in. I poked around here and there for maybe half an hour or more when I got a moderately interesting signal--not real high and silver sounding, but enough to think that it could be a coin. Yes, that turned out to be the 1836 large cent. I'm surprised at first of all finding it here after so long, and secondly that it gave such a lazy signal. It was 6 or 7 inches down which obviously had some effect on the signal but still. Got kinda lucky with this coin, it's probably a stray, to some degree at least....there's a lot of woods that still are unsearched so I'm betting another coin of this age shows up at some point later down the road. Practically all of our hunting in this place was nowhere near this area.

A few days prior, I hit the local park for a couple hours. Finding a wheat penny doesn't even happen on every hunt here anymore. I found 4 that day (2 in the same hole) and the silver dime. Finding a stinkin silver roosevelt in this park feels like winning some kind of small-scale lottery, for real lol. So that was neat.
Here's those finds.
dfxI-1.jpg

dfxH-1.jpg

Here's the pics from the large cent hunt in the woods. Came across whatever this thing is...
dfxA-1.jpg

LC found here
dfxC-1.jpg

FROG, not a toad I think
dfxF-1.jpg

LC
dfxB-1.jpg

Oh, and the silver quarter and clad and stuff came from a field that me and Mirage discovered driving around. Well, most of it was near a sidewalk along the field, but I wanna hit the field and stuff some more.
zC-3.jpg

zA-4.jpg

zB-4.jpg

No idea about these things...
zD-2.jpg

Mirage found the spoon handle (pewter probably), and I'm not sure what the long thing in the top of the pic is; it was very deep and looks pretty old. Mom suggested it could be something for the kitchen.
zE-1.jpg

Anyway take care yall!

Upvote 0

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt Nate! Love those LCs. I was shocked when I found one in an Ohio field by old farm equip. If you see any, check by it.

PS: Love the little poisonous tree frogs...lol One day you are fine, then-bam! You have no desire to detect anymore.

SKD

OP
OP
Nate in Ohio

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SoreKneesDayton said:
Great hunt Nate! Love those LCs. I was shocked when I found one in an Ohio field by old farm equip. If you see any, check by it.

PS: Love the little poisonous tree frogs...lol One day you are fine, then-bam! You have no desire to detect anymore.

SKD

Poisonous? lol, it better not be. Ain't no poisonous tree frogs around in N.E. Ohio are there? This ain't a rainforest, haha.
Thanks romeo and memorial magnet.

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nate in Ohio said:
SoreKneesDayton said:

SKD

Poisonous? lol, it better not be. Ain't no poisonous tree frogs around in N.E. Ohio are there? This ain't a rainforest, haha.
Close your eyes and repeat after me "I am loosing my desire". Come on let the frog speak..say it again Nate..lol And keep that dang SNOW in northern Ohio! WE don't need no stinking snow in Dayton.

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
the thingy is an intake manifold . the two holes were where the carburetor was bolted on.
global warming = poisonous treefrogs. you do have your will made out right ?

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nate,
Congrats on the LC buddy! :icon_thumleft: I wish I could find one of those. Oh yeah, I finally did. Now I can stop saying that. ;D You beat me by 14 years. :wink:
As far as that frog, if you give it a big sloppy kiss, it will turn into this beauty. Try it!!! :tongue3:
If you & your Dad get snowed in this winter and need to get out to detect, please feel free to head on down. Bob can sleep with Sud's. ;D
-Doug-

Attachments

• Frog.jpg
    Frog.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 1,234

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
Your mystery item leaning up against the tree is an intake manifold for a 4 cylinder engine. Congrats on the LG Cent, it should clean up really nice for you. :hello2: :hello2:

HH

Desertfox

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice digs, Bob. Wonder how that garter thingy ended up in the woods :dontknow: Nice digs. Silver and especially the Largie. I like that intake manifold with a 2 barrell setup on it

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Yup, large cents, as well as Colonial coins, do exist in Ohio, Nate. You have to find the early sites and you'll be finding them more often! I can't wait for the day when you do! :hello2:

If there is one largie, there very well could be another one there. :headbang: Hit it again, Nate, and at every angle! Great job, buddy!

Kyle

OP
OP
Nate in Ohio

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SoreKneesDayton said:
Nate in Ohio said:
SoreKneesDayton said:

SKD

Close your eyes and repeat after me "I am loosing my desire". Come on let the frog speak..say it again Nate..lol And keep that dang SNOW in northern Ohio! WE don't need no stinking snow in Dayton.

ha, i get the "poisonous" thing now. i must not be allergic. ::) I'll try to keep it away...you know, if we didn't have that slight snowfall, it would have been a record for not having any snow in November around here. It's been a nice fall.

wwwtimmcp said:
the thingy is an intake manifold . the two holes were where the carburetor was bolted on.
global warming = poisonous treefrogs. you do have your will made out right ?
desertfox said:
Your mystery item leaning up against the tree is an intake manifold for a 4 cylinder engine. Congrats on the LG Cent, it should clean up really nice for you. :hello2: :hello2:

HH

Desertfox
Thanks for the ID guys. I figured it was something sorta like that. I think I'm gonna basically leave the LC as it is; makes it a little easier to see the detail as opposed to a gray disc with no contrast.

ModernMiner said:
Nate,
Congrats on the LC buddy! :icon_thumleft: I wish I could find one of those. Oh yeah, I finally did. Now I can stop saying that. ;D You beat me by 14 years. :wink:
As far as that frog, if you give it a big sloppy kiss, it will turn into this beauty. Try it!!! :tongue3:
If you & your Dad get snowed in this winter and need to get out to detect, please feel free to head on down. Bob can sleep with Sud's. ;D
-Doug-
Haha, too bad I let him go in the woods. :tongue3: Thanks, that'd be a fun trip to do over break.

crazyjarhead said:
Nice digs, Bob. Wonder how that garter thingy ended up in the woods :dontknow: Nice digs. Silver and especially the Largie. I like that intake manifold with a 2 barrell setup on it

Thanks, although I'm not Bob ;D
KylePA said:
Yup, large cents, as well as Colonial coins, do exist in Ohio, Nate. You have to find the early sites and you'll be finding them more often! I can't wait for the day when you do! :hello2:

If there is one largie, there very well could be another one there. :headbang: Hit it again, Nate, and at every angle! Great job, buddy!

Kyle
Thanks dude. Now's about when we hit these kind of old sites in the woods with the brush dying down. Found a spot today with 2 wells. Lots of iron and pretty dense growth yet. But yea I'm sure there's more there somewhere at this other place!

BandB1

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2008
SE Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the LC! :thumbsup:

Much nicer than the one I found.

That manifold kinda looks like a junk art sculpture, like of a cat maybe, cool pic.

Good luck,
HH.

scott565

Apr 20, 2009
Nice going on the LC. I found one myself today (1831, too crusty for a pic right now) near Alliance, OH. A little cold and windy, but finding the oldest coin ever made the going a little easier. :)

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you guys might be on the fringe of a new site--or perhaps at the edge of overlapping sites in those woods. That coin is so much older than what you guys normally find there, that I find it hard to believe that it was a stray coin that circulated that long. The pewter spoon handle is the same age as the coin, and that seals the deal for me. That is a nice condition Matron Head LC in terms of wear--and it would not look that nice unless it was lost before the 1860s or 70s.

Great find!

-Buckles

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions