Large cents DO exist in Ohio, 15 mins from home...who knew?

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep; got the first snow of the year the day after Thanksgiving. Was I going to spend my morning fighting traffic and crowds for deals? Psh. Slept in and made it out to the local woods that we've hit for years. Mirage led me to a spot farther in that he recently found some modern silver and wheats in. Realizing he worked the area pretty good, I started wandering out deeper in. I poked around here and there for maybe half an hour or more when I got a moderately interesting signal--not real high and silver sounding, but enough to think that it could be a coin. Yes, that turned out to be the 1836 large cent. I'm surprised at first of all finding it here after so long, and secondly that it gave such a lazy signal. It was 6 or 7 inches down which obviously had some effect on the signal but still. Got kinda lucky with this coin, it's probably a stray, to some degree at least....there's a lot of woods that still are unsearched so I'm betting another coin of this age shows up at some point later down the road. Practically all of our hunting in this place was nowhere near this area.

A few days prior, I hit the local park for a couple hours. Finding a wheat penny doesn't even happen on every hunt here anymore. I found 4 that day (2 in the same hole) and the silver dime. Finding a stinkin silver roosevelt in this park feels like winning some kind of small-scale lottery, for real lol. So that was neat.
Here's those finds.
dfxI-1.jpg

dfxH-1.jpg

Here's the pics from the large cent hunt in the woods. Came across whatever this thing is...
dfxA-1.jpg

LC found here
dfxC-1.jpg

FROG, not a toad I think
dfxF-1.jpg

LC
dfxB-1.jpg

Oh, and the silver quarter and clad and stuff came from a field that me and Mirage discovered driving around. Well, most of it was near a sidewalk along the field, but I wanna hit the field and stuff some more.
zC-3.jpg

zA-4.jpg

zB-4.jpg

No idea about these things...
zD-2.jpg

Mirage found the spoon handle (pewter probably), and I'm not sure what the long thing in the top of the pic is; it was very deep and looks pretty old. Mom suggested it could be something for the kitchen.
zE-1.jpg

Anyway take care yall!

Upvote 0

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your one of few :D first Large Cents, and more will be in your future! I agree with Buckles, that the immediate area surrounding the spot needs to be looked at further, especially if any areas appear to have groupings of iron hits. I learned over the years that quite a few of my "stray" coin finds were actually indicators of a nearby homestead that I did not recognize at the time, but years later, knowing what I know now, on return trips to areas like that in the woods, I have found many of those stray coins were in fact associated with a close by homestead or work area..........

Don

GlassyEyed

Oct 15, 2009
Miami, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Tesoro Tiger Shark & Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds...been looking for something like that myself. I work in Cleveland, but live South of here. My findings consist of a few rings and nothing but clad. No silver or olders coins yet.

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Don in SJ said:
Congrats on your first Large Cent, and more will be in your future! I agree with Buckles, that the immediate area surrounding the spot needs to be looked at further, especially if any areas appear to have groupings of iron hits. I learned over the years that quite a few of my "stray" coin finds were actually indicators of a nearby homestead that I did not recognize at the time, but years later, knowing what I know now, on return trips to areas like that in the woods, I have found many of those stray coins were in fact associated with a close by homestead or work area..........

Don

Don, I'd say that, about 90% of the time, a stray copper always leads to a vanished home finding for us. Since Nate dug that pewter spoon handle nearby, that is enough to prove an early dwelling sat there or very close to the period relics.

Nate, get back in there with your dad and a few buddies, and listen for the nulling of the threshold and the occasional iron blip. Once you find it, you guys will be finding flat buttons and other house site relics. I'm looking forward to your next post from there!

Kyle

OP
OP
Nate in Ohio

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nana40 said:
8) Way to go, Nate! Maybe I should have skipped the early morn shopping spree and went hunting instead! :P :D I know you were thrilled to have found that LC! :icon_pirat:
Terrific finds!! Nana :)
Thanks Nana! Some of my friends got some great deals on TVs, etc. Good for them; I can get by and figure stuff out without going through that craziness ;D

changin-tymes said:
yo nate, nice coin.... wanted you to know - I have found a LC in Parma in a vacant yard, and one in Brecksville at the metropark, no kidding - I was shocked both times. the one in brecksville was in a wooded area, slope, where water errosion over this slight grade had been going on for years and years - the LC was laying on top of the ground exposed, i saw it before my detector beeped!.. anywayz, remember we are in the 'western Reseve' and thus the population density from Cleveland east to Pa was denser than even Pa, c1840. be cool, lemme know if you want to hunt Hiram / Mantua sometime. bob/ct
Interesting....thanks, I'll keep it in mind.

Don in SJ said:
Congrats on your one of few :D first Large Cents, and more will be in your future! I agree with Buckles, that the immediate area surrounding the spot needs to be looked at further, especially if any areas appear to have groupings of iron hits. I learned over the years that quite a few of my "stray" coin finds were actually indicators of a nearby homestead that I did not recognize at the time, but years later, knowing what I know now, on return trips to areas like that in the woods, I have found many of those stray coins were in fact associated with a close by homestead or work area..........
Don
Thanks Don I appreciate the advice. We'll be going over the areas thoroughly over time, for sure. It's nice having it close to home and being able to take our time with the place and enjoy it.

This actually makes my 4th LC.

Kyle rest assured we'll cover it. 8) Got plenty of time to do so.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find there congrats.

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
Nice finds, congrats on the LC :hello2:

That intake manifold appears to be from a 289 2V small block V8 Ford. If it was a 4V it would be worth grabbing :laughing7:

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
nice find buddy!! check the e in cent !! i saw a pic of one somewere and the e was modified into a u im pretty sure they were used in brothels. im not joking! the real stuff. willy

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
KylePA said:
Don in SJ said:
Congrats on your first Large Cent, and more will be in your future! I agree with Buckles, that the immediate area surrounding the spot needs to be looked at further, especially if any areas appear to have groupings of iron hits. I learned over the years that quite a few of my "stray" coin finds were actually indicators of a nearby homestead that I did not recognize at the time, but years later, knowing what I know now, on return trips to areas like that in the woods, I have found many of those stray coins were in fact associated with a close by homestead or work area..........

Don

Don, I'd say that, about 90% of the time, a stray copper always leads to a vanished home finding for us. Since Nate dug that pewter spoon handle nearby, that is enough to prove an early dwelling sat there or very close to the period relics.

Nate, get back in there with your dad and a few buddies, and listen for the nulling of the threshold and the occasional iron blip. Once you find it, you guys will be finding flat buttons and other house site relics. I'm looking forward to your next post from there!

Kyle

I have historic records of every home that was ever settled in this area. I even know the names of almost ever person from each of these settlements also. The earliest was a mill built in the late 1820's. I have talked to someone who has found LC's closer to the mill as I have found a flat button but Nate's LC was found a considerable distance from the mill. The other settlements more directly in the area did not exist until late 1870's. We have been hunting this area for at least 3 years but as evidenced still need to hit it more.

Bob

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Mirage said:
KylePA said:
Don in SJ said:

Don

Kyle

I have historic records of every home that was ever settled in this area. I even know the names of almost ever person from each of these settlements also. The earliest was a mill built in the late 1820's. I have talked to someone who has found LC's closer to the mill as I have found a flat button but Nate's LC was found a considerable distance from the mill. The other settlements more directly in the area did not exist until late 1870's. We have been hunting this area for at least 3 years but as evidenced still need to hit it more.

Bob

Bob, it is a major plus when you can put a name behind an early dwelling, which you are able to do here. That makes the connection between relics recovered and history of the site easier to understand. Nothing is more enjoyable than holding a relic and knowing who may have lost it many, many years ago.

I hope you guys nail the location of many vanished dwellings in that area. I'm rooting for you!

Kyle

Mrs Bloom

Nov 3, 2007
SW Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
Congrats! Reading about the different finds in Ohio almost makes me want to move back to the Cleve. burbs. Then I remember it gets cold there--lol!!
I've been reading up on the history of Cleveland and the surrounding areas off and on for the past few years and the history and stories are amazing! Wish I had had an appreciation for it years ago. I still have family up there I haven't seen in years. I can hear the conversation now.....Hi, how are you, would you excuse me while I go md your yard??? We can chit chat while I hunt! :laughing7:

The Buzzard King

Mar 29, 2005
N.E.P.A.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-5, Fisher 1280-X
Nice finds! Congrats!
Silver and a LC? Plus a few wheats?
That constitutes a great hunt any day! :thumbsup:
ANYTHING'S better than clad!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread