Large cents DO exist in Ohio, 15 mins from home...who knew?

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep; got the first snow of the year the day after Thanksgiving. Was I going to spend my morning fighting traffic and crowds for deals? Psh. Slept in and made it out to the local woods that we've hit for years. Mirage led me to a spot farther in that he recently found some modern silver and wheats in. Realizing he worked the area pretty good, I started wandering out deeper in. I poked around here and there for maybe half an hour or more when I got a moderately interesting signal--not real high and silver sounding, but enough to think that it could be a coin. Yes, that turned out to be the 1836 large cent. I'm surprised at first of all finding it here after so long, and secondly that it gave such a lazy signal. It was 6 or 7 inches down which obviously had some effect on the signal but still. Got kinda lucky with this coin, it's probably a stray, to some degree at least....there's a lot of woods that still are unsearched so I'm betting another coin of this age shows up at some point later down the road. Practically all of our hunting in this place was nowhere near this area.

A few days prior, I hit the local park for a couple hours. Finding a wheat penny doesn't even happen on every hunt here anymore. I found 4 that day (2 in the same hole) and the silver dime. Finding a stinkin silver roosevelt in this park feels like winning some kind of small-scale lottery, for real lol. So that was neat.
Here's those finds.
dfxI-1.jpg

dfxH-1.jpg

Here's the pics from the large cent hunt in the woods. Came across whatever this thing is...
dfxA-1.jpg

LC found here
dfxC-1.jpg

FROG, not a toad I think
dfxF-1.jpg

LC
dfxB-1.jpg

Oh, and the silver quarter and clad and stuff came from a field that me and Mirage discovered driving around. Well, most of it was near a sidewalk along the field, but I wanna hit the field and stuff some more.
zC-3.jpg

zA-4.jpg

zB-4.jpg

No idea about these things...
zD-2.jpg

Mirage found the spoon handle (pewter probably), and I'm not sure what the long thing in the top of the pic is; it was very deep and looks pretty old. Mom suggested it could be something for the kitchen.
zE-1.jpg

Anyway take care yall!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Nate in Ohio

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks garthbfan and BandB1.
scott565 said:
Nice going on the LC. I found one myself today (1831, too crusty for a pic right now) near Alliance, OH. A little cold and windy, but finding the oldest coin ever made the going a little easier. :)
Congrats on your first! It sure feels good to find one of those especially for the first time.

melnibe said:
Looks you may have a button or pin from Norwich Military Academy in Norwich, Vermont.
http://www.norwich.edu/
Huh, that's interesting. Thanks for solving that mystery.

BuckleBoy said:
I think you guys might be on the fringe of a new site--or perhaps at the edge of overlapping sites in those woods. That coin is so much older than what you guys normally find there, that I find it hard to believe that it was a stray coin that circulated that long. The pewter spoon handle is the same age as the coin, and that seals the deal for me. That is a nice condition Matron Head LC in terms of wear--and it would not look that nice unless it was lost before the 1860s or 70s.
Great find!
-Buckles
I think you're right. And by "stray" coin, I meant that it could've been lost some distance away from the area of main activity at the time (like a farmer plowing a field and randomly losing a coin in the middle of it) which like you say looks like maybe it was around 1835-1865 or something judging by wear. And yea with the spoon, my "stray" concept probably isn't the case. But yea who knows, we'll be checking this place out more; thanks Buckles!

Ricky1601 aka pull tab king said:
nice finds, and the fired bullet looks like it is from a modern handgun. anyway thanks for sharing and also nice pictures. hh
Thanks Ricky...I didn't understand what the pointy things were for, but when I think about it, I think I figured it out. :-\

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nate in Ohio said:
I think you're right. And by "stray" coin, I meant that it could've been lost some distance away from the area of main activity at the time (like a farmer plowing a field and randomly losing a coin in the middle of it) which like you say looks like maybe it was around 1835-1865 or something judging by wear. And yea with the spoon, my "stray" concept probably isn't the case. But yea who knows, we'll be checking this place out more; thanks Buckles!

You will likely make some more great finds in an area close by where that LC was dug. Just find the sweet spot of the new site and you'll have it made.

That LC and pewter spoon stood out like a gold coin in the middle of a pile of clad. Nice work! :thumbsup:

wagbert

Mar 29, 2008
Howdy Nate!
You are showing how it's done! Yes, that is a fantastic Large Cent to have been found in Ohio. Froggy is cute. The intake my be worth something to somebody. They can sandblast cast iron to look like new.
I would agree with the poster who pointed out you guys may be on the fringe of an undetected site.
All the good stuff seems to be deep anymore. Around here anyway. I'm about 35 miles away. There was a good guess on your button, but that may have been made here in Ohio too. (?)
Oh, to be young and tough again. What's a little snow?
Thanks for sharing,
Phil

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
Way to go Nate. :thumbsup:

Now go do your research and go find some even OLDER coins! I'm sure that with enough work at the library, securing permission and some time in the field a few Draped busts, KG's, Vermonts, NJ's, Novas, GW half cents, etc etc will be just jumping outta the ground atcha.

Don't you know that Ohio is no different than PA or ANY of the states East of us for that matter? Forget what you know to be true and trust your instincts. :laughing7:

olekyground

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Hardyville, KY
Detector(s) used
garrett A.T. gold

Other detectors: fisher F2/ Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done!! GREAT 1800s Coin!! GREAT DIGS

teddy

Nov 7, 2009
Nice :thumbsup:

To find more LC's hunt where you dig old toys. After the LC's became obsolete they often were given to children.

teddy

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the LC Nate! I hope Mirage is doing well. HH, Mike

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
Danimal said:

Now go do your research and go find some even OLDER coins! I'm sure that with enough work at the library, securing permission and some time in the field a few Draped busts, KG's, Vermonts, NJ's, Novas, GW half cents, etc etc will be just jumping outta the ground atcha.

Don't you know that Ohio is no different than PA or ANY of the states East of us for that matter? Forget what you know to be true and trust your instincts. :laughing7:
I couldn't have said it better myself

OP
OP
Nate in Ohio

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wagbert said:
Howdy Nate!
You are showing how it's done! Yes, that is a fantastic Large Cent to have been found in Ohio. Froggy is cute. The intake my be worth something to somebody. They can sandblast cast iron to look like new.
I would agree with the poster who pointed out you guys may be on the fringe of an undetected site.
All the good stuff seems to be deep anymore. Around here anyway. I'm about 35 miles away. There was a good guess on your button, but that may have been made here in Ohio too. (?)
Oh, to be young and tough again. What's a little snow?
Thanks for sharing,
Phil
Thanks! Yea it depends where you're at I guess...you can certainly dig shallow old coins in places where no one has swung a coil, but it makes it easier to miss them, the deeper they are, of course. I really don't dig coins real deep too often because in most places, we hunt in undisturbed ground, and there's either a coin within 5-6 inches or no coin at all. The LC at 6-7" was a lil deeper than usual.

Colonial Copper Zeus said:
Great job finding the largie Nate. You just know there is more somewhere close.
Chris
Thanks Chris, I'm sure there's more at this site. There's a lot of woods and the targets are few in many areas, so it'll take some time to feel like we've covered everything well. 8)

Bavaria Mike said:
Congrats on the LC Nate! I hope Mirage is doing well. HH, Mike
Thanks! He was recently working on getting a post together I believe. :icon_scratch:

Danimal said:

lol, oh geez...

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
8) Way to go, Nate! Maybe I should have skipped the early morn shopping spree and went hunting instead! :P :D I know you were thrilled to have found that LC! :icon_pirat:

Terrific finds!! Nana :)

changin-tymes

Feb 6, 2007
n.e. Ohio, mantua
Detector(s) used
Fishin with a Fisher
yo nate, nice coin.... wanted you to know - I have found a LC in Parma in a vacant yard, and one in Brecksville at the metropark, no kidding - I was shocked both times. the one in brecksville was in a wooded area, slope, where water errosion over this slight grade had been going on for years and years - the LC was laying on top of the ground exposed, i saw it before my detector beeped!.. anywayz, remember we are in the 'western Reseve' and thus the population density from Cleveland east to Pa was denser than even Pa, c1840. be cool, lemme know if you want to hunt Hiram / Mantua sometime. bob/ct

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread