Last Weeks Old House Finds - Keepers

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Hello all!

Well, winter has set in here and the ground is froze. We managed to miss the big snowstorm that went through the midwest yesterday and got mostly rain and a bit of snow. While the weather was nice the past two weeks, I managed to get out three times for short hunts on the way home from work. An hour here and there at a couple former home sites, now open lots with the low grass that I have been eyeing all summer. One site, I found a lot of really old stuff and the other two, the finds were sparce. I am glad I got out because I dug up some interesting finds. I got a ton of junk and very few good finds, but what I did find made it worth it. Plus, I was just glad to be getting in some hunting before the cold set in.

Nov 28 finds.jpg

I found one piece of gold. It's an old pin with the initial "J" on it and it is hallmarked on the pin stem but it hard to read. I think it says 14K. A dug some clad and several keeper coins, mostly old. Three Mercury dimes total. At the old site a 1917S that is very worn. At one of the other sites, two Mercs in the same hole, a 1943S and 1944 and close to them a 1946 wheat penny. At the old site 6 more wheats, 1910, 1914, 1917, 1919, 1922D, and 1925.

Keepers1.jpg

I also got some interesting relics. An old cast iron Indian toy came from about 5 inches down. It's a little broken but in fairly decent shape. I also found a couple religious items. First a St. Christopher medal/buckle. Then a really cool thing that I think may be a sterling bible cover, but I am not sure. Any help would be appreciated. It says " In Hoc Signo Vinces" and also "Catholic Action Youth Rome". It isn't hallmarked but it came from 4 inches deep and has very little tarnish. I feel fortunate that I didn't stick my digging knife through it as I thought it was another can by the signal stregth. I got two tokens. One is aluminum, the size of a half dollar and has a bullet hole through the center. It says "Red Goose Preminum Money $1.00" on the front and "For Boys and Girls, Half the fun of having Feet" on the back. I think it is a shoe token and I also think I have seen others like it posted on the site recently. The other token is the size of a dime and may be copper. It is well worn but it is dated 1950 and says "Play Penny" on the frnt and "Falsa Pecuni" on the back. There is other things on it too, but it is too worn to read/see. Finally, I found a really cool looking old button. I have no idea of the use for it or the age, so any help would be appreciated on this also. It is in good shape and looks very old, made of solid brass I think? It's heavy. The front has a flower looking thing on it. On the back, it says "Rich - Gold Colour".

Cover.jpg
Button front.jpg Button Back.jpg

So this may be may last "Todays Finds" post of the season as I doo think that winter is here to stay. But you never know I guess. So I will be reading and enjoying all your posts from the warm weather areas to get my Treasure Hunting fix until spring thaw allows us to hunt again. Thanks for reading and happy hunting! (I hate winter!)

Smiles!
BDoo

Upvote 0

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
WTG Bobby!
Digging old relicy goodies like that is fun stuff plus you still managed to pull gold.
I made an effort to get to a site yesterday after class but by the time I got there the sun was already down.I had about 20 minutes before total darkness.It was 31 degrees and raining.Yuk.
I managed three wheats and my first actual flat button.Nothing near so profound as your finds but still a success.Congrats on the great finds...Joe

OP
OP
Boobydoo

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
gypsyheart said:
Beatiful finds bobby...Love that little pin with the "J" and the Indian. Hope you getto hunt a few more times....Thanks for sharing your great pics.

Thanks Gypsy!! The gold pin looks pretty old I guess. You don't see those around any more. I'll take it!!

Smiles!
BDoo

OP
OP
Boobydoo

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Postalrevnant said:
Bobby,

Great Great finds. IT is good to show us that you are not only a woodchip king, but you can take down the old sites with ease as well.

I am really gonna enjoy the old site digs when you do them. As much as you pull out of the playgrounds, will be fun seeing the old relics and things you pull out of the old homes.

Postalrevnant

Hi Doug!! Thank you for the friendly reply buddy.
I have a list of old sites to detect also, but the schoolyards have been so good to me this year, and it's such easy digging and detecting, it's sometimes hard for me to get out of the chips. Two out of my three best finds this year were not at schoolyards (the $2-1/2 Gold coin with 14Kt chain and a sweet 10 diamond 14Kt mens wedding band I found this spring). Happy hunting dude!

Smiles!
BDoo

OP
OP
Boobydoo

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Bavaria Mike said:
Nice relics and coins Bdoo, congrats!!! Looks like a good variety to make a great hunt. You could write down on the calender the last hunt of the season and compare it with next year like I did last year. My last hunt of the season was January 22, 2006. Hit double silver this evening and an older coin, working on a post. HH and I hope you get out again, Mike

Hi Mike! Thanks for stopping in.
I hope we have a mild winter and some possible thaws. Back in 1983, it was 70 degrees in February so I guess it's possible. Good luck to you too my friend.

Smiles!
BDoo

OP
OP
Boobydoo

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
TreasureTales said:
Very interesting things. A nice variety.

The Indian I would say is from the 1940s or 1950s, just before plastic items started getting popular.
The Red Goose shoes token was either shot by a good marksman or was possibly nailed up at one time????
The button has the word "colour" which could indicate it was British or Canadian. Since you're in Michigan, I'd guess it's a Canadian button.
The gold pin with the initial was what? A tie pin or a lapel pin? VERY NICE!

Probably not telling you anything you don't already know.

Thanks for the info and reply. I doo appreciate it TT!
I would guess that you are right about the pin, could have been either back in those days. Too bad the indian's bow is missing, but I like that find a lot too. Take care and good luck!

Smiles!
BDoo

OP
OP
Boobydoo

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS said:
BDoo,

very nice group of artifacts.

Love that old St Christopher. Think it
is an "auto pin". Had one just like it.
Had it pinned to the upholstery above
the rear view mirror of my old Ford truck.

Very nice.

have a good un.........

Hi Sherm, thanks buddy!
That makes sense. On the back, there are two missing little fold down tabs that probably are used to attach it as you said. Dang winter huh...lol. Well, time to doo some reserch getting ready for next spring.

Smiles!
BDoo

OP
OP
Boobydoo

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Many thanks to everyone else also for your valuable input and friendly replies. It is appreciated. Thanks for reading and good luck to you all!

Smiles!
BDoo

mxtswinger

Jul 27, 2006
Northeast KY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT's Goldscan 5 PI
That's a Reeeely nice haul there. I love those old doodads as much as the coins. Let's hope we get some of that global warming this winter to keep the soil thawed. WTG!

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Nice trio of mercs there Booby. :) Gold too. ;D

Might be a long winter - suppose to be cold this week. :P Time to start counting clad I guess.

Bob

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
I'm learning more about buttons as I try to research every one that I find. They made a lot of what they call "flower buttons" in the mid 1800's. Perhaps yours is a civilian flower button. I found some similar to yours. That is a great button in super condition. Congrats.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs, love the indian~

HH

The Bulgarian

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
South Florida east coast.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
In the water Aquasound ,back up Aquasound,Fisher cz20,Minelab Excalibur 15 inch wot coil .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have nice staff.My favorite is the Indian.Very cool hunt.

bogeymcq

Dec 3, 2006
Southern Maryland
Detector(s) used
Presently mental, not metal
:o

Oh my goodness gracious! What truly incredible collection of finds you have there! I get a kick out of the variety all together. . perfect! & congrats on the great great finds!

"In Hoc Signo Vinces" = "in ( by ) this sign you shall conquer" . . perhaps?
If so I think that is a great great thought! :)

Bogart ;)

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck, that is excellent for an hour here and there. WTG!! With my luck I would have punched a hole clean through the "bible cover".

LeJeuene

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread