Lates relic finds including a first

Relic Rick

Greenie
Oct 22, 2003
Fenton Mo
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
At a Civil War field camp I have been hunting for a while, I have been finding a few pinfire cartridges, pinfires are some of the earliest self-primed cartridges made. While hunting, I kept thinking that I sure would like to find an unfired cartridge. Well, near the end of a tiring day, I got a really good reading, and out popped my first unfired pinfire cartridge. I have other unfired cartridges that I have found in the past including a Spencer and a Burnside, this will display nicely with the others. Unfired cartridges do not hold up as well as dropped lead bullets due to the corrosive black powder, but I like them just the same. I also found 10 other bullets, 2 fired pinfire cartridges, another part of a spur (this is 3 from this area) an iron buckle, and some misc. brass items. Plan on going back tomorrow. I am starting to learn to go slow, and overlap my rows as well as sweeps, Did I say go slow? Just today, I found good readings in an area that I have gone over 2 or 3 times before. I am starting to get confidence again in my Explorer. A couple bad hunts during the summer had me 2nd guessing its ability. Happy hunting, and good luck!

Attachments

• DSC04840.JPG
    DSC04840.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 344
  • DSC04850.JPG
    DSC04850.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 339
Upvote 0

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow ! You hit paydirt. I have always wanted to fins a spur. Congrats. Nice mustang also. :)

DiggingFl

Oct 4, 2006
North FL.
Detector(s) used
Minelab explorer XS and X-Terra 50
Nice relics Rick. Your dead on about slowing down with the explorer. Go as slow as you can and then slow down. I have to force myself to do it all the time after a good find. HH WTG

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Excellent find's Rick.....When it come's to relic's,you can't beat the CW...Congrat's and HH!!

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! Looks like a productive site you have there! :)

DiggingFl said:
Nice relics Rick. Your dead on about slowing down with the explorer. Go as slow as you can and then slow down. I have to force myself to do it all the time after a good find. HH WTG

Walk slowly and overlap... but don't SWEEP your coil too slowly. It must be swung at a certain speed in order to pick up the deep targets. If you swing too slowly it won't sound off on them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread