Leftovers Homestead finds

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On Monday I came upon an unexpected new site on the crest of a hill, but after hunting nearly two hours at the immediate area surrounding the depression I came to the conclusion, that since I was not finding, thimbles, buttons, coins, any relics, that the place was hit hard years ago.

So, before leaving the site for the day I made one more pass near the depression where the structure stood and got a button at over 8 inches down, with a hunk of iron with it. I wanted to make a quick perimeter walk to see how big of an area surrounding the homestead had iron hits and just before quitting for the day, in the now wooded section that used to be field in the early 1800s I did manage a beautiful geometric designed button.

Yesterday I returned to the site and concentrated the surrounding area and was rewarded with two more buttons a broken piece of what was a beautiful Shoe Buckle, a decorative little plate of some sort, and what appears to be a binocular type lens and holder for it and finally after almost giving up I did get a 1812 Large Cent. All of the finds were in the 8+ inch range.

I do plan on more trips to the site, even though probably not much left to find, but it is a somewhat big homestead for iron hits....

Don

Attachments

• Site245depression.jpg
    Site245depression.jpg
    341.4 KB · Views: 875
  • LargeCentSite245.jpg
    LargeCentSite245.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 860
  • BinocularLens.jpg
    BinocularLens.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 859
  • designplate.jpg
    designplate.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 865
  • Site245Finds.jpg
    Site245Finds.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 861
  • Site245Buttons.jpg
    Site245Buttons.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 869
  • Site245a.JPG
    Site245a.JPG
    342.4 KB · Views: 860
  • LargeCentObvdirty.jpg
    LargeCentObvdirty.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 857
  • LargeCentRevdirty.jpg
    LargeCentRevdirty.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 856
  • 1812ClassicheadSite245.jpg
    1812ClassicheadSite245.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 872
  • Partial Shoe Buckle.jpg
    Partial Shoe Buckle.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 817
Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Better luck next time :wink:

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice going Don. Nothing like that 'final pass" to produce the goods! :wink: (I wonder if there'd have been a second or third "final" pass if it hadn't popped up. :D

Those classic heads are sure hard to find in shape like your's is in. Something about the copper being too pure I think, which corroded them faster. You found one of those gismo plates we can't identify also. I'll bet it measures an inch from center hole to center hole?

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
There have been a lot of Classic Head cents found this year. I found four largies, but no Classic Head half cents so far this year.

It is always nice when a copper pops out of a hole. It makes the day so much better.

Good luck on the return trips, Don. There should be more there at the 5-10 inch range.

Kyle

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow what some great finds. I would be camping out ot that site. HH......

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds! Those Classic Heads are tough to come by, and I don't recall ever seeing any dug in that condition. Your soil is so kind to copper!

I notice in almost all of your posts, your homesteads are nothing more than depressions in the ground. I don't recall seeing bricks or Jersey sandstone, which is typical of the older homesteads in my area. Are these depressions all that remains of wood structures which had no foundations?

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don, what might not have been a great hunt you managed to turn into a success through perseverance. Bravo! That is a very nice Classic Head LC. I have only found one in 17 years that looked as good (fifth photo in the link below):

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,117293.0.html

Congratulations on your excellent finds, my friend.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A good day always is filled with a copper coin :icon_thumleft: Too bad the shoe buckle frame wasn't complete. You are having a great year, Don. :icon_thumleft:

Kirk

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neil in West Jersey said:
Nice finds! Those Classic Heads are tough to come by, and I don't recall ever seeing any dug in that condition. Your soil is so kind to copper!

I notice in almost all of your posts, your homesteads are nothing more than depressions in the ground. I don't recall seeing bricks or Jersey sandstone, which is typical of the older homesteads in my area. Are these depressions all that remains of wood structures which had no foundations?

It seems that in this immediate area, there is either just an depression in the ground, or none whatsoever. However, Jersey stone and brick hunks can be found while digging, so perhaps due to the shortage of any easy access rocks in the area, others most likely salvaged any building materials from any abandoned site. Also, a lot were just cabin type sites I suppose.

I found a beautiful 1813 a few years back that came out of the ground in super condition. (attached)(color enhanced btw)

Attachments

• The 1813reduced.jpg
    The 1813reduced.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 666

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, Don! :icon_thumright: Looks like your perseverance paid off very well. :headbang:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That lg cent would be considered pretty good condition for here!

Geeze... looks like everyone found more than the PA Bros in the last. (I think they're digging tomorrow ah-oh) :D

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Nice LC right there. Out of two I have found one was an 1812......Nice find, nice pics. :thumbsup: jgas

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great finds Don, I always look at a old homesite like a Good book, it may take awhile and take interest to get to the end, but the Story told is definitely worth telling.

Nova Treasure

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love that Treble Gilt! And Large cent of course. NIce Goin DOn!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread