Legend of the Stone Maps

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This was a cloth "Rubbing" of the stone maps nothing more.
So why would he need to make replica's of forged maps?

And where is the fifth stone map?

People have drawn maps on all kinds of materials. Some are more durable than others, with stone and corrosion resistant metals being superior to most others.
The advantage of a fabric map would be the ability to fold it repeatedly into a small bundle and carry it in a pocket for example. It would not tear along the folds as easily as a paper map, nor would it turn to mush if it got wet, In fact some premium maps are printed on specially treated fabric for these reasons. But I'm sure you and most others reading this post are aware of all this. I certainly wouldn't consider a rubbing of the stones, whether on paper or cloth, to be an exact replica any more than I would consider a postcard of the Golden Gate bridge to be a replica of the real thing. An accurate scale model perhaps, but not a photo, drawing or painting. Aside from that, I can't imagine anyone needing a drawing so large and I would think unwieldy for use on the trail. I use a 8 x 10 loose leaf folder with plastic sleeves out there, and can fill it with 8 x10 printouts of everything I am interested in for a given hike. I also have an 8 x10 laminated photo card with the trail maps on one side and the H/P stone on the other side which was sent to me by a friend and has all the detail I need for use out there. I would also think a rubbing would be very hard to get right, with the cloth stretching every which way as you tried to rub your charcoal or whatever across it.

Joe R. has recently informed us that someone he knows was told by someone else that Travis tried to sell the stones at one time. Could be true I suppose, since he had severe health problems and may have needed the money for medical bills etc. Perhaps he made a set of duplicates, since he had the skills to do so, in order to sell those, instead of the originals.

The fifth stone map ?

While I suspect old Bob was actually referring to the Red Heart Stone as the fifth map, and that he considered it a map on it's own, he may have actually been talking about the Latin Heart, which was found later in the same area.

Regards:SH.

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
People have drawn maps on all kinds of materials. Some are more durable than others, with stone and corrosion resistant metals being superior to most others.
The advantage of a fabric map would be the ability to fold it repeatedly into a small bundle and carry it in a pocket for example. It would not tear along the folds as easily as a paper map, nor would it turn to mush if it got wet, In fact some premium maps are printed on specially treated fabric for these reasons. But I'm sure you and most others reading this post are aware of all this. I certainly wouldn't consider a rubbing of the stones, whether on paper or cloth, to be an exact replica any more than I would consider a postcard of the Golden Gate bridge to be a replica of the real thing. An accurate scale model perhaps, but not a photo, drawing or painting. Aside from that, I can't imagine anyone needing a drawing so large and I would think unwieldy for use on the trail. I use a 8 x 10 loose leaf folder with plastic sleeves out there, and can fill it with 8 x10 printouts of everything I am interested in for a given hike. I also have an 8 x10 laminated photo card with the trail maps on one side and the H/P stone on the other side which was sent to me by a friend and has all the detail I need for use out there. I would also think a rubbing would be very hard to get right, with the cloth stretching every which way as you tried to rub your charcoal or whatever across it.

Joe R. has recently informed us that someone he knows was told by someone else that Travis tried to sell the stones at one time. Could be true I suppose, since he had severe health problems and may have needed the money for medical bills etc. Perhaps he made a set of duplicates, since he had the skills to do so, in order to sell those, instead of the originals.

The fifth stone map ?

While I suspect old Bob was actually referring to the Red Heart Stone as the fifth map, and that he considered it a map on it's own, he may have actually been talking about the Latin Heart, which was found later in the same area.

Regards:SH.
You made a bingo.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Wayne (and everyone) just want to point out that it is not that important (to me) who made the stone maps or when. If Travis carved them, and then tried to sell them does not make them worthless IMHO. If I had found a set of stone maps, and had no luck in finding what they seem to lead to, I might try to sell them too. If they are copies of other maps (a strong possibility I think) then what about the originals? This is why I was so curious about the cloth duplicate. I can see Wayne's point that in the way it is stated, it sounds like she is saying the cloth is a replica, just wish it was absolutely certain so it could not be a question lingering. Anyway to put this in a simile, I have a map of the Roman empire circa 100 AD, printed in 2008, certainly not printed by the Romans and yet I bet that I can use it to find Rome. If the stone maps are copies of older maps, then who made the originals and why? Was it to conceal a large treasure or several treasures, a way to find hidden mines, or both, or tombs of sainted padres or ?

We have discussed the stone maps for quite a while now. Cactusjumper Joe, Wayne, Cubfan, Jim Hatt, and quite a few others have found markers in the Superstitions that someone put there. Heck I have seen a few myself. Some may be the work of someone trying to mislead others, some may be old mining claim markers, some may be ancient Indian signs but there are a few that just are hard to say who made them or when, or why for that matter. I wonder if someone has yet followed their own stone maps theory to the end, and then DUG deep enough to be certain? For sure, what ever treasure(s) may be concealed, are not going to be laying on top of the ground.

I hope the panties deal is just some female treasure hunter(s) that had washed out their undies and hung them to dry because they had no clothesline. It could be a trophy type thing for rapist(s) and I hope that is not the case. I don't know how far north the illegal aliens are willing to go either, because they have been found in every state of the 49 continentals, and we have run into a couple over 60 miles from the border a couple of years ago and quite some ways from a road. Anyway when you go treasure hunting, you never know what you are going to find, just as when you are digging up treasure, you never know who is going to show up to help.

Oroblanco
:coffee2: :coffee2:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
sgtfda

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
A while back Jack S told me a story about a prominent rock in the Goldfield area. The young Indians take their gals there for special events. Jack said its a special spot. Perhaps the spot Tom and I found is another special Indian location. Who knows. Next time I run into my Indian buddy I'll ask. At the stone map site Ryan and I found some old badly weathered ladies garments. I told Tom K about it and he thought at first I was pulling his leg. That is until we happened upon the second site. Something about the great outdoors. Oh I could tell you some stories from my Police days!

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
A while back Jack S told me a story about a prominent rock in the Goldfield area. The young Indians take their gals there for special events. Jack said its a special spot. Perhaps the spot Tom and I found is another special Indian location. Who knows. Next time I run into my Indian buddy I'll ask. At the stone map site Ryan and I found some old badly weathered ladies garments. I told Tom K about it and he thought at first I was pulling his leg. That is until we happened upon the second site. Something about the great outdoors. Oh I could tell you some stories from my Police days!

So that site with seven pairs was not the only time you ran into that eh, Sarge? What sort of treasure are you after? :tongue3:

OP
OP
sgtfda

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
Roy I suspect there is more than one type of treasure in those mountains. Two sites in two days. What are the odds.

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Wayne (and everyone) just want to point out that it is not that important (to me) who made the stone maps or when. If Travis carved them, and then tried to sell them does not make them worthless IMHO. If I had found a set of stone maps, and had no luck in finding what they seem to lead to, I might try to sell them too. If they are copies of other maps (a strong possibility I think) then what about the originals? This is why I was so curious about the cloth duplicate. I can see Wayne's point that in the way it is stated, it sounds like she is saying the cloth is a replica, just wish it was absolutely certain so it could not be a question lingering. Anyway to put this in a simile, I have a map of the Roman empire circa 100 AD, printed in 2008, certainly not printed by the Romans and yet I bet that I can use it to find Rome. If the stone maps are copies of older maps, then who made the originals and why? Was it to conceal a large treasure or several treasures, a way to find hidden mines, or both, or tombs of sainted padres or ?

We have discussed the stone maps for quite a while now. Cactusjumper Joe, Wayne, Cubfan, Jim Hatt, and quite a few others have found markers in the Superstitions that someone put there. Heck I have seen a few myself. Some may be the work of someone trying to mislead others, some may be old mining claim markers, some may be ancient Indian signs but there are a few that just are hard to say who made them or when, or why for that matter. I wonder if someone has yet followed their own stone maps theory to the end, and then DUG deep enough to be certain? For sure, what ever treasure(s) may be concealed, are not going to be laying on top of the ground.

I hope the panties deal is just some female treasure hunter(s) that had washed out their undies and hung them to dry because they had no clothesline. It could be a trophy type thing for rapist(s) and I hope that is not the case. I don't know how far north the illegal aliens are willing to go either, because they have been found in every state of the 49 continentals, and we have run into a couple over 60 miles from the border a couple of years ago and quite some ways from a road. Anyway when you go treasure hunting, you never know what you are going to find, just as when you are digging up treasure, you never know who is going to show up to help.

Oroblanco

Roy,

The efforts to sell the Stone Maps, much like the efforts to sell the Tucson artifacts, only creates motivation for creating them in the first place.$$$$$

It's been said many times that making money from both groups of artifacts was never attempted. That was not true.

Take care,

Joe

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010

Well, this is certainly the thread for it and you are a master of your craft. Write on sgtfda. Write on!

Indulge me this one time sgtfda, what's with the Wiccan bracelet? I get the ring but that bracelet well, I only know one other person who wears one like it and she is a self proclaimed witch. But a good one. Something you want to tell us? : )

Have you been screwing around with Abraham of Wurzburg's manuscript?

Last edited:

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Roy I suspect there is more than one type of treasure in those mountains. Two sites in two days. What are the odds.

Uh huh - I am starting to understand your method too, you seem to follow your nose eh? :tongue3: :thumbsup: :notworthy:

Cactusjumper wrote
Roy,

The efforts to sell the Stone Maps, much like the efforts to sell the Tucson artifacts, only creates motivation for creating them in the first place.$$$$$

It's been said many times that making money from both groups of artifacts was never attempted. That was not true.

Take care,

Joe

Yes, if you recall I was on the same side as you in the debate. If they were made to sell for profit, that would be a good reason to make them. However if they are copies of older genuine maps, then trying to sell them may have been due to the maps not leading to treasure, or that they did lead to treasure and now were useless because it (the treasure) is gone. Or maybe he just needed money. I have had to sell things I really did not want to sell for any reason due to needing the money at the time. You followed out your solution of the stone maps, to the end point correct? Did you dig at that spot? If so, how deep did you go to be certain there was nothing buried there? I presume you would have known to look for disturbed earth (for our readers, even after centuries, dirt that was dug out and filled back in, looks different from the nice even layers of soil around it) and other signs that someone had dug there before (packed down area around it, moved large stones etc) either to bury a treasure or to remove it. Just curious, Jim Hatt never did tell me if he had dug a hole at the site he had followed his solution to, and other than the Dillmans I don't know if anyone else has dug a hole at the end point of their solution(S). The Dillmans as you know ended up in Utah, and did not find treasure but did find some interesting ancient Indian relics.
Roy

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps I have missed this part of the stone maps, but assuming they are real; What is the reason that the heart is removable? What does it signify? (Being removable). Does it perhaps fit into another piece yet to be discovered? Possibly the 5th stone? Or, does it fit into the sight yet to be discovered?
Curious....

Tina

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Perhaps I have missed this part of the stone maps, but assuming they are real; What is the reason that the heart is removable? What does it signify? (Being removable). Does it perhaps fit into another piece yet to be discovered? Possibly the 5th stone? Or, does it fit into the sight yet to be discovered?
Curious....

Tina
Your question is an extremely important one and opens the door to a range of problems. Most are logic based. Security is perhaps the most obvious reason. I have part A, you have part B. We then become dependent on each other. You can't solve it without me, and I cant without you. A good and entertaining example would be the treasure hunt in The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly.

The latin heart is something that you should familiarize yourself with. Even if it is believed to be irrelevant, an opinion that I do not share.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope this doesn't violate the rules.

Hats off to TH for finding middle ground. Thank you TH! Your effort is very much appreciated.
Hal Croves
Dictated but not read.
Not a problem, thank you....

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Curious....

Tina

Tina,

This may be the answer to your question about the heart:

"You would play upon me; you would seem to know my stops; you would pluck out the heart of my mystery; you would sound me from my lowest note to the top of my compass." Page 126 "Superstition Mountain: A Ride Through Time" by Tom Kollenborn.

The above quote, from Shakespeare was "Perhaps one of Chuck Aylor's favorite...." The Aylor's Caballo Camp was right on the Stone Map Trail, as I have read it.

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo

SUPERDAD

Jun 7, 2005
APACHE JUNCTION
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
As has been for the last 60 years, there are many who question the validity of the tablets. Let me assure you they are absolutely genuine ! I solved the tablets a few years ago , and began a journey that was very different from what I expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SUPERDAD

Jun 7, 2005
APACHE JUNCTION
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
Just as Mel Fisher needed help to recover the Señora de la Atocha, I need help to evaluate and work the zone

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As has been for the last 60 years, there are many who question the validity of the tablets. Let me assure you they are absolutely genuine ! I solved the tablets a few years ago , and began a journey that was very different from what I expected.

Hi Superdad!
I'm not a treasure hunter, a seeker yes for old relics and such but Gold prospecting in the Supers? No.
Just curious, there is talk of a 5th stone that has yet to be discovered or it has been discovered and not been disclosed.
How has your life and journey changed since the solving of the stones?
And....is there a 5th stone?

Thanks.
Tina

SUPERDAD

Jun 7, 2005
APACHE JUNCTION
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
As far as who made the stone maps, there is actually a signature under the horse that is only visible in high light. That name is Pablo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread