Lets design the ultimate sluice...

Doitlaynstyle

Feb 21, 2013
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Rock Nose and sniffer belly
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wider is better for dredging right? the quicker you can diffuse the flow and slow it down the quicker your heavies can fall out. This is the principle behind dredging. With sluicing or high banking it is different. Narrower sluices with a wide intake increase the flow because the water is already close to the right speed for the gold to drop out but needs to be a bit faster to flush the lighter materials... Correct me if I am wrong here. I am going to be going through a HUGE learning curve when I finish my sluice/banker and take it out there because I have not ran my gas pump yet and I don't know how it is going to be to adjust the flow.

I really like the idea of adding an angle bubble to the box btw. I will be adding that so I can set it up in my garage so that I get the right slope when I set it up in the field.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wider is better for dredging right? the quicker you can diffuse the flow and slow it down the quicker your heavies can fall out. This is the principle behind dredging. With sluicing or high banking it is different. Narrower sluices with a wide intake increase the flow because the water is already close to the right speed for the gold to drop out but needs to be a bit faster to flush the lighter materials... Correct me if I am wrong here. I am going to be going through a HUGE learning curve when I finish my sluice/banker and take it out there because I have not ran my gas pump yet and I don't know how it is going to be to adjust the flow.

I really like the idea of adding an angle bubble to the box btw. I will be adding that so I can set it up in my garage so that I get the right slope when I set it up in the field.

Your description of the principals involved between dredging and high banking is sound. :icon_thumright:
There are always exceptions to any rule however.

As far as adding a bubble to the highbanker. Pretty much un-necessary. Its easy to see if it's level side to side just by watching the water level in the sluice if it's the same on both sides or not, or by watching the over flow whether or not it's even across the end. Also keep an eye out for if the material starts collecting on one side or another after the legs settle in.

I sometimes take along 4 bucket lids to set the legs on when I know I'm going to an area with soft ground to prevent them from sinking.

As far as the angle lengthways..........
You usually have to fine tune the angle and the flow in the field while running material. If you are getting too much buildup of material in the sluice then adjustments must be made, same holds true if the material is clearing out too fast. Adjustment really depends on the material being run. Mostly gravel, mostly sand, dirt sand gravel mix, etc, etc. all will require a sleightly different setting for maximum efficiency.

With those 1" riffles of yours you are going to need about 3" of drop per foot of sluice to be in the ballpark, then fine tune as needed.

GG~

Last edited:

Doitlaynstyle

Feb 21, 2013
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Makes sense, But to essentially get the angle to start with it may be helpful. At least until I get used to running it and learn how it should be running just by sight and feel. You sir are full of great tips. A true benefit to this forum there is no doubt.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Makes sense, But to essentially get the angle to start with it may be helpful. At least until I get used to running it and learn how it should be running just by sight and feel. You sir are full of great tips. A true benefit to this forum there is no doubt.

After the sluice is setting at the angle you want in the garage, then mount the bubble so that it reads level. That way it doesn't matter how the ground lays. the bubble will still tell you when the angle is right. (you probably already knew that)

Couple of ways to adjust the flow.
1. idle/speed control on the motor.
2. put an inline control valve at the spray bar assembly

GG~

Last edited:

Doitlaynstyle

Feb 21, 2013
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
After the sluice is setting at the angle you want in the garage, then mount the bubble so that it reads level. That way it doesn't matter how the ground lays. the bubble will still tell you when the angle is right.

Couple of ways to adjust the flow.
1. idle/speed control on the motor.
2. put an inline control valve at the spray bar assembly

GG~

Makes sense I have several torpedo levels that I dont use anymore. I could just glue or rivet one on there. I already planned a valve at the header box. What size of piping do you think I should run for the spray bar? 1-1/4"? 1-1/2"? 2"? I get plenty of flow when running my recirc pump. it has a 1-1/4" plumbing setup...

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Makes sense I have several torpedo levels that I dont use anymore. I could just glue or rivet one on there. I already planned a valve at the header box. What size of piping do you think I should run for the spray bar? 1-1/4"? 1-1/2"? 2"? I get plenty of flow when running my recirc pump. it has a 1-1/4" plumbing setup...

No use to go over 1-1/4" A lot of highbankers use 1"

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Doitlaynstyle

Feb 21, 2013
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No use to go over 1-1/4" A lot of highbankers use 1"

I figured based on what I have seen. Tomorrow I am looking up this year's permit and I am going to get out there within the next two weeks. Got to get my build on lol.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I figured based on what I have seen. Tomorrow I am looking up this year's permit and I am going to get out there within the next two weeks. Got to get my build on lol.

Enjoyed seeing your build. That is some good work on those riffles. :icon_thumright:
I find It's always more fun and rewarding running equipment that you build yourself.

Keep up the good work,
GG~

OP
OP
UncleMatt

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also saw a sluice level that was nothing more than a short length of wire hanging from a post with a graduated scale painted behind it. Can't seem to find it now, but its so simple to make, and you don'thave to worry about cracking open your level bubble.

Doitlaynstyle

Feb 21, 2013
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wait what happens when the earth rotates?????? HAHA I couldnt resist lol

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Champlain, NY on the Canadian border.
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This idea is similar to "crowd sourcing" to arrive at a solution to a given problem, like synthetic protein folding in a lab. It has been done with great success involving hundreds of thousands of participants world wide. This can create an environment of many minds meeting to solve or brainstorm on a massive scale. A single spark can ignite a solution.

Khrysos

Banned
Mar 14, 2014
Montana
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Astrobouncer is right, patent it or give it away to the marketing Gods. So that's why i spent my nest egg on the patent. Cause time will tell on my vortex sluice. So U Tube, Khrysos vortex sluice, watch Gibbs Eddy clip.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Astrobouncer is right, patent it or give it away to the marketing Gods. So that's why i spent my nest egg on the patent. Cause time will tell on my vortex sluice. So U Tube, Khrysos vortex sluice, watch Gibbs Eddy clip.

Is this it?

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT

Trying to sell new style gold sluices, gizmos or water gravity sluices has to be the world's second oldest profession. Thumb thru decades old California Mining Journals and you will see wonderfull new gizmos that are no longer being sold. Even quality products produced in the past are no longer being made. New ideas and machines come and go and seem to be reinvented later in time.

Everyone who has built or designed a water gravity gizmo thinks that "Their" version is different and more efficient. However, one can not change the laws of Physics with a simple sluice box or a simple water gravity device. As long as you use water that has enough force to remove particles you are going to have problems with gold capture because of hydraulic equivalence and gold's poor shape.

However, this certainly hasn't stopped a lot of people from mining the miners with "New" technology(really old technology). Hey- Anyone want to buy a Gold Lab for $1000?? LOL.

George

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in the process of researching/pondering a method of using centrifugal force to seperate gold from lighter materials. A vortex leaps to mind, but I am thinking about a rotating mass of water several inches in diameter with catch slots around the outside to catch the gold as the centrifugal force pins it to the cylinder wall. The trick is to make it powered by the flow of the stream water. Just brainstorming different concepts at this point.

Doc has one of these on the market already called the Gold Cyclone. :)
Gold Cyclone - Gold Concentrator | Super Concentrator for Placer Gold Miners
gc278.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions