Let’s see your in situ pics!

LandSeig

May 16, 2020
Southeast Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, NEL Storm coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really like seeing the themed threads and this one may have been done before. Here are two of my latest in situ pics. Feel free to post them like you find them!
2AD2CF78-9C0F-42D7-8D44-4432E49D9802.jpeg
DADD6D06-E984-40D5-A33B-5763CC1A2322.jpeg

Upvote 20
OP
OP
LandSeig

LandSeig

May 16, 2020
Southeast Tx
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Midden-marauder

Dec 10, 2023
Here are a couple of pot sherds I found in SE New Mexico. They were found on a hill side that had obviously been occupied for generations as I found various styles of pottery; El Paso brown, Anasazi black on white, poly-chrome…Unfortunately, these are the only pictures of pieces in situ. View attachment 2129346 View attachment 2129347 View attachment 2129346
This is interesting as I live in New Mexico. There are a number of Pueblos mentioned in the Spanish record that have since been lost, location unknown. You say this location had been obviously inhabited for generations? Any obvious ruins on the surface? Without further information I'd say you might have stumbled upon one of these lost locations, if no ruins were apparent in the area they may be lurking below the surface. That's actually pretty hot to find such a location!

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's actually quite surprising they took no interest. Old camp sites can hold a lot of important archaeological info. If I found something like that I'd die.
Well actually not in Oklahoma, Midden-marauder. They would come out and work pretty closely with us 'arrowhead-hunters' to look over sites, cause we were more boots on the ground for them. They told me they pretty much had all they needed to know about that particular culture, so go hunt arrowheads to your hearts content. However, if we came up on something out of place or interesting, let them know. Like Folsom, Clovis, or a site in Washita County that turned up obsidian and turquoise. Pretty cool guys for archies. And yeah I did just about die when I walked into that site.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok just one more in situ that everyone here can relate to. This is in the San Luis Valley, in an area where I know they were using that crystal quartz for tool making. My heart jumped, on top of the ground, this piece. This is not an artifact. Looks good in the pic, but when you pick it up and closer examination, just a rock, not really flaking on there. But it looks good.
6-8qq.jpg

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Ok just one more in situ that everyone here can relate to. This is in the San Luis Valley, in an area where I know they were using that crystal quartz for tool making. My heart jumped, on top of the ground, this piece. This is not an artifact. Looks good in the pic, but when you pick it up and closer examination, just a rock, not really flaking on there. But it looks good.
View attachment 2134416
i would have crapped my paints for that one

OP
OP
LandSeig

LandSeig

May 16, 2020
Southeast Tx
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 2134416
It’s looks better than most of the random rock “artifacts” that people post 😆

Midden-marauder

Dec 10, 2023
Well actually not in Oklahoma, Midden-marauder. They would come out and work pretty closely with us 'arrowhead-hunters' to look over sites, cause we were more boots on the ground for them. They told me they pretty much had all they needed to know about that particular culture, so go hunt arrowheads to your hearts content. However, if we came up on something out of place or interesting, let them know. Like Folsom, Clovis, or a site in Washita County that turned up obsidian and turquoise. Pretty cool guys for archies. And yeah I did just about die when I walked into that site.
Huh, after passing the whole ARPA thing you'd think they'd care, anything over a hundred years should be left in the ground but I guess that one's open to cherry picking. I'd be out there with a gradiometer I swear, if the archies don't care then fine, I'll do the work for them and document that kinda thing in detail, I guess the value of that stuff really is a matter of who's looking. Very, very cool!

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huh, after passing the whole ARPA thing you'd think they'd care, anything over a hundred years should be left in the ground but I guess that one's open to cherry picking. I'd be out there with a gradiometer I swear, if the archies don't care then fine, I'll do the work for them and document that kinda thing in detail, I guess the value of that stuff really is a matter of who's looking. Very, very cool!
If you check out the OK Arch. Survey at OU's website. They talk about how the public is their best asset in locating archaeological sites. They will also ID artifacts for you. Now if you really want to get into it with the feds, come up here to Middle Park or the 4 Corners area. Don't touch or pick up anything in those places.

Midden-marauder

Dec 10, 2023
If you check out the OK Arch. Survey at OU's website. They talk about how the public is their best asset in locating archaeological sites. They will also ID artifacts for you. Now if you really want to get into it with the feds, come up here to Middle Park or the 4 Corners area. Don't touch or pick up anything in those places.
Operation Cerberus, that happened close to home for me. Typically I don't go seeking native American stuff but then life has a way of dropping surprises on the observant. I explore locations that have historically seen a lot of human activity, there's interesting mounds down by the river that sometimes hold old junk in them, it's probably just a matter of time for me....

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Operation Cerberus, that happened close to home for me. Typically I don't go seeking native American stuff but then life has a way of dropping surprises on the observant. I explore locations that have historically seen a lot of human activity, there's interesting mounds down by the river that sometimes hold old junk in them, it's probably just a matter of time for me....
What state do you live in?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread