Little brown Bromo-Lithia

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I've mentioned in other sections of Treasurenet that our church bought a bar in Pittsburgh to close it down. I've done very well there, with about twenty silver coins and two gold rings, as well as a large clay marble. We also bought two condemned buildings behind the bar to expand the property's footprint. They're due to be demolished soon, so I've spent a lot of time the last few weeks treasure hunting. We've scrapped lots of steel, and I was given whatever treasure I could find for my expenses (parking, gas, time, etc.). That has meant lots of brass, aluminum and copper which I've turned into cash. Both the bar and one of the condemned buildings have dirt floors; when a building is over a hundred years old that means archaeology! Yesterday, I decided to do a little sifting in the condemned building, figuring there had to be something. I was right; I managed a clay and a colored marble, indicating that children once played in or near this basement. I took pictures of those with my phone, but we've all seen marbles so I won't go to the trouble of retrieving it. I texted it to my daughter in school, just to make her jealous! Near the end of the day, a spadeful of dirt yielded this little treasure, a Bromo-Lithia Chemical Co. Philadelphia U.S.A. I assume it's a forerunner to the Bromo-Seltzer bottles that are so common. I only wish this was blue, but an old bottle is an old bottle and we'll display it proudly!

Attachments

• bromolithia (Small).jpg
    bromolithia (Small).jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 139

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello halfdime,

It's not a forerunner, but a later imitator of Bromo Seltzer.

Here's a fully labelled example that has been re-listed:

713714530_o.jpg
Early Bromo Lithia Chemical Co Labeled Bottle Philadelphia PA | eBay

You'll notice the citation of the 1906 Pure Food & Drug Act of 1906 on the label.

"Bromo-Lithia chemical co.. Philadelphia,
Pa. Relieves but does not depress
[4] p folder illus. 16mo. (On cover: Bromo-
Lithia promptly relieves) [11442]
May 22 1911 2 c June 12 1911 A 290270. " Catalogue of Copyright Entries: Pamphlets, leaflets, contributions to ... - 1911

DINGER

Mar 9, 2011
central new york
Detector(s) used
WHITES DFX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello halfdime congrats on your 20 silver coins & 2 gold rings and nice little brown bromo bottle.Never found a brown one yet,but i do like the blue ones. money maker three 051.jpg

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Hello halfdime, It's not a forerunner, but a later imitator of Bromo Seltzer. Here's a fully labelled example that has been re-listed: View attachment 952050 Early Bromo Lithia Chemical Co Labeled Bottle Philadelphia PA | eBay You'll notice the citation of the 1906 Pure Food & Drug Act of 1906 on the label. "Bromo-Lithia chemical co.. Philadelphia, Pa. Relieves but does not depress [4] p folder illus. 16mo. (On cover: Bromo- Lithia promptly relieves) [11442] May 22 1911 2 c June 12 1911 A 290270. " Catalogue of Copyright Entries: Pamphlets, leaflets, contributions to ... - 1911

That's cool! Thanks for the info; which is earlier, the labelled or my embossed?

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Hello halfdime congrats on your 20 silver coins & 2 gold rings and nice little brown bromo bottle.Never found a brown one yet,but i do like the blue ones. View attachment 952079

I prefer blue myself; yours is Bromo-Seltzer. I've since discovered that Bromo-Lithia is a different product and company.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
… which is earlier, the labelled or my embossed?

Hey half dime,

They're the same. Yours would have had a paper label, as well. The labels seldom survive, especially in the dirt.

If you look at the photos in that ebay listing, you'll see that the non-labelled back has the same embossing as yours.

713714547_o.jpg

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Hey half dime, They're the same. Yours would have had a paper label, as well. The labels seldom survive, especially in the dirt. If you look at the photos in that ebay listing, you'll see that the non-labelled back has the same embossing as yours.

Okay, so this is not late 1800's but early 19 something. Pre-1915, since it does not appear to be machine made.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread