Need help with this little guy, R FENNER

Plum Wash

Aug 1, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug this little bottle a few hours ago and thought it was another ink bottle. Any info you can give would be much appreciated. Thanks, Chris.
IMG_3276.jpg IMG_3277.jpg IMG_3278.jpg

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
neat find it kinda does look like an ink bottle. i did a quick search for r fenner and the only thing that i could find was a dr fenner that made bitters but i dont think this is the same maker. hopfuly someone else on here will be able to give you some good info.

OP
OP
P

Plum Wash

Aug 1, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
neat find it kinda does look like an ink bottle. i did a quick search for r fenner and the only thing that i could find was a dr fenner that made bitters but i dont think this is the same maker. hopfuly someone else on here will be able to give you some good info.
I tried searching the same thing and that is what I came up with, I am stumped on this one.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Plum,

Very unusual little bottle, sir. What is the diameter of the finish? What is it's capacity? I'm wondering if it might not be a fancy creamer…

OP
OP
P

Plum Wash

Aug 1, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Plum,

Very unusual little bottle, sir. What is the diameter of the finish? What is it's capacity? I'm wondering if it might not be a fancy creamer…

Hey Surf, The fenner bottle is 2 1/4" tall and 1 7/8" wide at the base, here is a comparison photo next to a Carters ink bottle. IMG_3279.jpg

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
attachment.php

Hey Plum,

Sorry, I was using bottle lingo. What is the inside diameter of the lip / finish? It looks considerably wider than the Carter's. Could'ya use your measuring cup and figure out it's capacity?

il_340x270.393024484_swir.jpg

OP
OP
P

Plum Wash

Aug 1, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Surf, The inside diameter of the lip is 3/4", and the capacity is 1.5 ounces. Thanks, Chris.

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm thinking it's a glue/mucilage that would have had a small wood stooper and handle with a horse hair brush that sat inside the bottle

Attachments

• hair.jpg
    hair.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 82

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
"R FENNER" is not listed among the inks, nor is it listed among the glue and mucilage bottles in Covill's book.
I could not find a shoulderless mucilage among the unmarked bottles. I didn't take the time to page through
the book looking for an unmarked ink like this.
Dr. M.M. FENNER produced cures in Freedonia, NY. You might contact the public library in Freedonia to see
if an heir ("R") carried on the business for a while. Direct your inquiry to the research librarian.

OP
OP
P

Plum Wash

Aug 1, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"R FENNER" is not listed among the inks, nor is it listed among the glue and mucilage bottles in Covill's book.
I could not find a shoulderless mucilage among the unmarked bottles. I didn't take the time to page through
the book looking for an unmarked ink like this.
Dr. M.M. FENNER produced cures in Freedonia, NY. You might contact the public library in Freedonia to see
if an heir ("R") carried on the business for a while. Direct your inquiry to the research librarian.
Thank You for the info, I will try contacting the library.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only R Fenner I found dabbled in churns.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread