Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many of the beaches are off limits during this time for safety reasons. But some have no restrictions and you can hunt when ever you want.

But metal detecting is supposed to be a fun hobby, not risking your life for some pull tabs. Save some room for me. ;D

OP
OP
coin_diver

coin_diver

Oct 3, 2003
Syracuse, ny
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, xl500 (27 yrs) XLT (17 yrs)
Primary Interest:
Thanks Sand, that's why I need a local partner. No place worth hunting is inaccessible or too dangerous, just have to plan a little better!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any beach in the direct path of a Cat 2 or above hurricane is too dangerous. I have been in a total of 7 hurricanes and 3 typhons in my life, (2 years in Okinawa) of which 3 were Cat 2+. Ground zero is not the place to be.

DOCC77

Jan 13, 2007
I was at ground Zero for hurricane CHARLIE 2004, and then 4 others till 2006.believe me you dont want to be in the path of a hurricane, 156mph winds and rain not to mention the debris isn't fun to beach hunt I can tell ya....

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunting during a Hurricane can be a very profitable venture along the Florida treasure coast. While I am no fan of hurricanes, It's just a fact of life living on the coast. I have hunted the beach during several hurricanes. However, there have been many hurricanes that we just pack up and leave the barrier island. One must be selective, and exercise some good judgment so that you can live to hunt another day.

It's almost that time of year again.

Tom

T

TheBullShark

I take it you are talking about,hunting while a hurricane is offshore pumping heavy surf...Because I can promise you your not going to stand on the beach at near ground zero during landfall of even a cat 1 hurricane,and if you do I suggest you bring an anchor for that rope for when that 10 foot or better storm surge hits you.And afterwards at ground zero, "Looters will be shot" ,its hot as hell,no power,no ice,roads all blocked,people wanting to hit each other with baseball bats for a gallon of gas etc...Not to mention you will not be allowed to enter the beach areas unless you prvide proof you live there,and they dont even let the residents in for a couple days.

Anyone who suggest otherwise has only been brushed by a hurricane and never been near a direct hit ,I can assure you.It is a part of living on the coast yeah,but any local with half a brain will be nowhere near a beach at landfall of a big momma.Ive been through plenty of them and remember back in the 90's in Erin/Opal one of them was only a cat 1,hit in the afternoon and can remember thinking "d&#n if this a cat 1 Id hate to see what cat 3-4 would do" as the shingles flew of the roof.....then we had Ivan 2 years ago landed as a large Cat 3 ,we were direct hit Ne,E,SE quadrants...it hit in the middle of night the next morning was a site beyond description.

But if your talking pre-storm 40kt winds or so, or down the coast from landfall a couple hundred miles then thats another story(though they all jog).

And TBH if you were to mention around Florida that you were really hoping for a hurricane to hit(not that you did just giving you an idea) so you could metal detect,we would gladly offer you a front row seat.

OP
OP
coin_diver

coin_diver

Oct 3, 2003
Syracuse, ny
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, xl500 (27 yrs) XLT (17 yrs)
Primary Interest:
Let me take a nano second to thank you for for your response. While offbase and uninformed I do respect everyone's opinion and had I not already worked saturation in excess of 600fsw, broached a 44' mlb in 30' seas or salavaged from the rat infested DE river I might feel the same.
However, as the other good surf hunters here already know, the "right time" is to be on station at the first low tide following a significant tidal action. But then you knew I meant that, right?
Shots are easy, maybe we should've both kept our comments to ourselves...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CD, I myself meant no disrespect to you, I mearly meant ground zero is not the place to be unless you have to be.

JvilleHunter

Jun 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Equinox 800
CD....IM not a local but am planning a trip down to the Sebastian area after the next suggnificant storm surge. However, from what I understand, if your not on the island side of that coastal well BEFORE a hurricane hits, your not going to get over to it. From what I understand, they close all access to everything when they predict the path over that area of florida. Having said that, you may wanna plan to get on the island side when you see path predictions early on. Even then, you'll have to deal with where to stay (once you get on the island before the storm) to avoid evacuations.

Just my 2 cents...

JvilleHunter

Old Tom

Aug 4, 2006
Milton, Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Surfmaster PI, Eagle Spectrum, Fisher 1235-X, 1280-X
CD
I understand what you are saying. I have found some really nice rings right after hurricanes have hit beaches. I have been in the high surf a couple times where the surf is really pulling the sand away, and uncovers those deep long lost targets. In Hawaii after one storm I found five gold rings in less than two hours the guy I was hunting with found six, although I had the best two. We were also finding older coins that were stuck/stacked together where years of tides had placed them in the same spots. We watched 6 to 8 foot waves going by the lifeguard stands for about a hour. Then within a short time it was almost flat.

I am sure no one is saying being at the beach during a 10 foot storm surge, but most times if you are in the right area the weather is pretty nice right after the storm passes. I have been in more hurricanes than I can count, I love getting outside, I am always amazed by the power of storms. I know this is not for everyone, this is one of those cases where some will think it is crazy to temp fate by by experiencing a storm first hand, while those that do, wonder why other choose safety to be someplace else.

Bullshark - I am in the Pensacola area also, for Ivan and Dennis. And your right Pensacola Beach would not have been good at all during the storm, also all access was closed down after. I agree being on Pensacola Beach Island that is only a few feet above sea level, with 20 to 40 feet waves going right over the island would be a very bad place to be (That happen with hurricane Ivan). But I think maybe Orange Beach might have been good after the storm passes. If we do get any storms this year I am hoping I can get out there right after. Even a high surge recides after a couple hours.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions