artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm sure that you guys get this all the time, BUT here goes: I have been looking on this site for a while now, and I think it's time for me to get out there and start being an active participant. I need some help in deciding on what machine to buy. I'm leaning towards the Garrett ACE 250 model, because I've been told that it's a good "starter" unit. I live in an area where the soil is very dense and clay filled. I don't anticipate doing much beach hunting. (although I would like to try it at some point) I'm much more interested in hunting relics than coins. I really need the "low down" on a good machine for my area and interests that's not ridiculously expensive. Also, is buying a used machine a good option for someone like me? Are there any accessories that I should also consider buying right at the beginning, or should I just get the machine and add accessories as I learn the ropes? I appreciate any input from you experienced members.

detectordave

Apr 6, 2005
Ann Arbor Meechigan
Detector(s) used
DFX WITH DX-1 PROBE AND XLT WITH XL-1 PROBE
I have heard very good things about the ACE 250. Although I have a DFX. I would only suggest a pinpointer and a lesche digging tool for accessories. I dint know how people live without a pinpointer. I have had bullseye II's but I hear people like the vibraprobes better. I have had trouble with the on off switch on the bullseyes before. The lesche tool you will need in that clay soil. Unless you dig relic areas where holes don't matter and can use a real shovel. Other than that, I wish you awesome luck. HH dave.

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
The Ace 250 seems to be a good machine. Some people have even stayed with it and not upgraded. As far as machines go, see what folks are using in your area to get an idea of what works in that soil. I have heard that Tesoros are very good for relic hunting.

I have bought 3 used machines and had no problems with any of them but then again, I bought them from folks on detecting forums not Ebay.

I really like the vibraprobe and sure am glad I got one. It is by far the best non-attached pinpointer I have ever had.

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
200 for the ACE250,then get a leche digger,pinpointer................call ron(windtcity detectors)

S

Sphinx

Minelabs are great. I had a Whites when I started and it was less then ok. I will never buy a Whites again after getting the Minelab.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought a used Minelab Musketeer Advantage (with two coils and NiMH batteries & two chargers) for about the same amount as a new Garrett 250 to get me back into detecting after a 25 year +/- lay-over and am still very happy with it. Like anything used, you have the chance you are buying someone else's problems with a bad or abused unit. Certainly deals can be had, though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread