Looking to upgrade from ATPro to Deus, good move?

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not looking to stir up the age old "this detector is better than that detector" conversation, but I have questions about the Deus. I started in 2010 with a Garrett GTAx, but by 2011 I upgraded to the ATPro. I haven't used the GTAx since! I really like the Pro, it has many great features, and I have made many great finds with it. I'm sure I will always use the ATPro, no matter what I decide to get for my secondary machine. I have pounded all my regular spots to death, I'm looking to upgrade again to go over those sites and make some more finds. Also, I'm so addicted to this hobby that I am willing to buy a more expensive machine.

I have pondered the Etrac, and after all my research I came to the conclusion that it's a great machine. The negatives for me are the weight, the very abstract sounds and operation (however this could be considered a plus I guess), and the fact that it's a bit old. I like the Deus because it looks like it goes deep, has proportional audio, it seems to have FAST recovery speed, and its wireless design and light weight are super attractive.

My question is for other ATPro users who have upgraded to the Deus. How was the learning curve after using the Pro? What are your thoughts on how it handled? After getting the DEUS do you still use the Pro? I have pretty much made up my mind, just looking for confirmation that this is where I should spend my money.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know others can chime in more, but it is the difference between a machine costing one price and one costing twice as much and two totally distinctive brands. The AT Pro seemed more rugged to me and you could literally learn it in an hour or less. I made the mistake of "running" with the Deus instead of walking first, but you can easily turn-on and go with this machine. I bought another coil and had to look up how to program the headset to it, because I never mess with the settings on the WS4 and only use the remote. The remote is intuitive enough to learn, but XP uses a whole different set of terms such as "reactivity" and some of the features are a little obscure such as how to switch between programs. I mean you have to read the manual to learn the functions, but I feel that you can go through it one time, then just set it to the basic program and go. Eventually, you can dig much deeper into the settings. It is as complex or as simple as you want it to be. I traded my first one and then bought another one almost a year later in a few minutes I was able to adjust and set it up to run stable, I just had to play around with it for a few minutes to remember how to navigate the remote settings. Choosing between the Etrac and Deus is a little more difficult. I like the Etrac because it is a little more rugged like the AT Pro, but you also lose out to the portability of the Deus. If you want a detector to "throw" around a little bit more or you need one that is waterproof then keep the AT Pro.

For me, I had a Deus for 8 months and traded it for a highly upgraded Etrac. I ran an Etrac back and forth with my CTX and learned the differences and then missed the Deus. The Deus is so different from a positive standpoint that I wanted another one. One thing that comes to mind was before I traded my first one, I hunted a bunch of top soil and concrete piles where a construction crew were removing the top layer of dirt to put a parking lot in. The Deus was so light, I didn't feel it while climbing or holding the detector at chest level to check the hills. I have a house that I am going to detect under and the Deus with the 9" coil will be perfect for this, especially without being connected by headphones to the machine if I choose to use them. I can also decrease or increase the length and use one hand to swing it. See the beauty of the Deus?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know others can chime in more, but it is the difference between a machine costing one price and one costing twice as much and two totally distinctive brands. The AT Pro seemed more rugged to me and you could literally learn it in an hour or less. I made the mistake of "running" with the Deus instead of walking first, but you can easily turn-on and go with this machine. I bought another coil and had to look up how to program the headset to it, because I never mess with the settings on the WS4 and only use the remote. The remote is intuitive enough to learn, but XP uses a whole different set of terms such as "reactivity" and some of the features are a little obscure such as how to switch between programs. I mean you have to read the manual to learn the functions, but I feel that you can go through it one time, then just set it to the basic program and go. Eventually, you can dig much deeper into the settings. It is as complex or as simple as you want it to be. I traded my first one and then bought another one almost a year later in a few minutes I was able to adjust and set it up to run stable, I just had to play around with it for a few minutes to remember how to navigate the remote settings. Choosing between the Etrac and Deus is a little more difficult. I like the Etrac because it is a little more rugged like the AT Pro, but you also lose out to the portability of the Deus. If you want a detector to "throw" around a little bit more or you need one that is waterproof then keep the AT Pro.

For me, I had a Deus for 8 months and traded it for a highly upgraded Etrac. I ran an Etrac back and forth with my CTX and learned the differences and then missed the Deus. The Deus is so different from a positive standpoint that I wanted another one. One thing that comes to mind was before I traded my first one, I hunted a bunch of top soil and concrete piles where a construction crew were removing the top layer of dirt to put a parking lot in. The Deus was so light, I didn't feel it while climbing or holding the detector at chest level to check the hills. I have a house that I am going to detect under and the Deus with the 9" coil will be perfect for this, especially without being connected by headphones to the machine if I choose to use them. I can also decrease or increase the length and use one hand to swing it. See the beauty of the Deus?

I do see the beauty of the Deus! The more I research the more I like it.

At this point I'm not overly concerned with price, I'm saving my $$ for the right detector.

Thanks for the info! I have been really torn between the Etrac and the Deus...I think the Deus is gaining ground for sure.

We're there any particular things you found with the Deus that were annoying?

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok to start off I began with the AT Pro much like yourself. I found all kinds of treasure and thought it was the be all of metal detectors. Then I came to the same point and decided I would see how the high end machines run and bought a Deus. The first few outings with it and I was frustrated by all means. I couldn't get the tones right and kept fiddling with it and changed all kinds of settings and decided this thing is junk.lol Then I bought my daughter a Tesoro Compadre and while out with her trying to show her how to detect with this easy one knob detector I couldn't believe the amount of treasure this thing was finding. I then ran out and bought a Tesoro Vaquero cause of all the great things everyone on the Tesoro boards were saying about this thing and how great the compadre was so I figured, what the hell and bought it. First outing with the Vaquero on Xmas day netted me 3 silvers and some wheats and I thought, crap, why did I mess around with all this more expensive machines. Then out of stubbornness I said I was going to give the Deus another try so I read up on it and bought Andys book and did everything everyone said to do with it and that's when the light went off. I put it in Basic 1, put it in 5 tones and reactivity 3 and wow, never looked back. The amount of targets I am finding in some of my sites I have pounded to death with my other machines is remarkable. If you decide to take the leap, keep it simple and it will reward you.

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"My question is for other ATPro users who have upgraded to the Deus. How was the learning curve after using the Pro? What are your thoughts on how it handled? After getting the DEUS do you still use the Pro? I have pretty much made up my mind, just looking for confirmation that this is where I should spend my money. "

J.C. - The thing that annoyed me at first with the DEUS is I dug a lot of large iron the first 5 or so times out with it, reason being is I did not "understand" the tones yet, and like Welgund said, I too kept messing with the settings. I bought mine about a year ago and have not used my ATP since, I love the ATP but it will be my rainy day detector from now on. If I had to do it all over again, I would have stuck with the pre-set program "Deus Fast", not messed with any settings and slowed my swing speed way down, the DEUS is as light as a feather so it's easy to swing quickly. I probably pulled 30 wheats (I noticed the DEUS really loves copper) and 10 silvers just from my Great Grandparents property that I went over with the ATP 20 times at least. If you get a DEUS you will probably never use your ATP again. The DEUS is so much more advanced than the ATP, but not overly complicated to learn, if you get one, be patient with it and you will be rewarded for sure.

OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the advice and information guys. My mind is made up, I'm going to order one for the spring. I can't wait, getting to detect again--and with a new detector! I'm sure I will be asking some questions once I'm detecting with it.

I keep seeing people mention a book by Andy Sabisch. Is there a version online? I want to start reading up on this thing while I'm waiting for the snow to F off lol.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The only thing frustrating is I will still occasionally dig iron up. It will still fool me about 30% of the time on larger iron, but I can tell the difference usually. It is hard to explain how. I think you just get used to the tones and the way the machine behaves. I have a hard time distinguishing tones probably more then the average person because of my hearing loss from being in artillery for many years.

The only other thing is after market accessories such as covers. I wished someone would make some sort of rugged water resistant cover that will fit on the remote while it is mounted. I used the Aryca Iphone S4 case. It works well, but it is big and will not mount to the handle without using Gorilla glue on the tab. I have a nylon cover coming in from UK which costs me almost $30, but I want something to protect the remote. The remote is also very prone to showing scratches as well as the WS-4 module because it is shiny black. I made a nice stand that clips onto the lower shaft. You will find that when you dig up a target on a slope and put the Deus down, because the back of the coil is round it will want to roll off on you. The stand I made eliminates that and it clips on securely. The only other suggestion I have is to make sure to periodically take a Q-tip with alcohol to the charging points on the coil and make sure you get a solid light indicating that the charger coil clip is seated when you want to charge it up.

Last edited:

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Mid Atlantic / East coast
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You mentioned annoying...My only complaint is the remote comes off too easily. I came up with a solution but shouldnt have had to. Thats my only problem with the Deus though.

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You mentioned annoying...My only complaint is the remote comes off too easily. I came up with a solution but shouldnt have had to. Thats my only problem with the Deus though.

The remote comes off too easily? Do you smack it around on stuff and it pops off? I usually have to struggle to take mine off.

OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm interesting. However if that's the only real issue, I can handle that. Probably just put the remote in my pocket as I detect anyway, once I get comfortable with how everything runs, and understand the sounds a bit. As for the machine being "tippy" when laid on the ground, I'll work with that too. My Pro with the small coil seems to tip a lot as well, and to be honest I'm sick of also dealing with the headphone wire.

I'm planning on getting the full size headphones, what batteries do they need?

sleepyjim

Jun 8, 2013
Reno Ish Nevada
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, GM1000, XP Deus, GB Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had an ATP when I got my Deus, there is a learning curve as with all machines, buy Andys book, read the threads here, ask questions and you will be fine, Best thing I did was get the Deus, do it, you will love it!

I did love my ATP but the Deus kicks its butt......

Jim

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The remote comes off too easily? Do you smack it around on stuff and it pops off? I usually have to struggle to take mine off.

Yep. I have 2 Deus' and I was knocking both remotes off regularly until I fixed them. Without the fix I could just be swinging fast and the remotes fall off. On one, the screen sits cockeyed in the remote its taken so many falls.

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CP, unless you broke something or they are not seated properly , I would send them in to get fixed under warranty - when I remove mine I always fear I'm going to break something.

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
CP, unless you broke something or they are not seated properly , I would send them in to get fixed under warranty - when I remove mine I always fear I'm going to break something.

They're most def seated properly. I have heard of many users with the same problem. From day one BOTH popped off while swinging. They'd also pop off sometimes when I'd wipe the screen. But I have a solution that works great so no need to send them in. Thanks tho. I'll post a picture of my fix later. Some of the other guys that were having the same issue may want to see the fix anyway.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I went from ATP to Deus last summer. The first time out was terrible... 50 bottlecaps and 5 zincolns! From that point onward, it got better and better. The learning curve is not that bad, you have to get adjusted to the new "language"... the sounds are different. It took a few trips to the park to get comfortable with the sounds. The machine is really nice, ultra light, wireless, configurable. If you have the money, it is an awesome little toy.
The other boys that I hunt with mostly use Minelabs... lotsa Etracs... excellent machine. Wireless was a must for me, if you have not experienced wireless, it is awesome.... no more cord attacking me all day long.

I am a bit rough on the equipment, but I have not had an issues with the remote popping off.

I have read Andy's book, excellent info... I am scheduled for Deus bootcamp next month, so hopefully, I will learn more. I pretty much turn the machine on and go... and have dome the same for the 9 months that I have had it. Yes, it is that easy.

PM me if you have specific questions. Good luck on your decision!
Hope this helps. PM me if you have any specific questions.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
The WS4 backphones are good in my opinion... and cool in the summer time. Half the year, it is too hot here for earphones.

Aug 18, 2013
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus W/11" coil and 9" HF coil, Garrett AT Pro W/5x8 coil
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
J.Cache I upgraded from an AT Pro to the Deus a couple months ago and have not been disappointed at all. As far as WS4 vs WS5, I like the WS4 because it gives you the option of the back phones when it's hot outside or you can remove the control puck from them and either build your own over the ear headphones or buy the ones from Grey Ghost or Vance.

Last edited:

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hmm interesting. However if that's the only real issue, I can handle that. Probably just put the remote in my pocket as I detect anyway, once I get comfortable with how everything runs, and understand the sounds a bit. As for the machine being "tippy" when laid on the ground, I'll work with that too. My Pro with the small coil seems to tip a lot as well, and to be honest I'm sick of also dealing with the headphone wire.

I'm planning on getting the full size headphones, what batteries do they need?

You don't need batteries. They are rechargeable.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went from ATP to Deus last summer. The first time out was terrible... 50 bottlecaps and 5 zincolns! From that point onward, it got better and better. The learning curve is not that bad, you have to get adjusted to the new "language"... the sounds are different. It took a few trips to the park to get comfortable with the sounds. The machine is really nice, ultra light, wireless, configurable. If you have the money, it is an awesome little toy.
The other boys that I hunt with mostly use Minelabs... lotsa Etracs... excellent machine. Wireless was a must for me, if you have not experienced wireless, it is awesome.... no more cord attacking me all day long.

I am a bit rough on the equipment, but I have not had an issues with the remote popping off.

I have read Andy's book, excellent info... I am scheduled for Deus bootcamp next month, so hopefully, I will learn more. I pretty much turn the machine on and go... and have dome the same for the 9 months that I have had it. Yes, it is that easy.

PM me if you have specific questions. Good luck on your decision!
Hope this helps. PM me if you have any specific questions.

Tom,

That is funny. The first time I went out with mine, I thought I was already an expert. I was running full tones and I couldn't tell a large piece of iron 1" down from coins, to bottle caps buried 4 inches deep. It was a disaster, but I found some good things missed by the CTX. My worst
disaster was traveling 45 minutes to this old park with the V3I for the first time. I was getting a lot of EMI and I left after 3 hours having found 3 pennies, if I remember correctly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions