Looks Like Garrett Made Another Front Page Photo On A Detecting Magazine

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro

Attachments

• full we.jpg
    full we.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 513

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The March issue has a Garrett Gal using a GTI 1500 or GTP 1350. When my magazine came in the mail I was pleased to see a woman on the front detecting. :icon_thumleft: But after looking at the pic for a couple days I began to wonder: Where's her digging tool? finds pouch? knee pads? OK, maybe it was a posed shot. :tongue3: :)

HH

Texasgopher

Jan 26, 2009
Amarillo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Michiganne said:
The March issue has a Garrett Gal using a GTI 1500 or GTP 1350. When my magazine came in the mail I was pleased to see a woman on the front detecting. :icon_thumleft: But after looking at the pic for a couple days I began to wonder: Where's her digging tool? finds pouch? knee pads? OK, maybe it was a posed shot. :tongue3: :)

HH

lol, well I thought the same thing you did when I first picked up the mag and I still think it is cool that they used a woman. BUT after thinking about what you said and looking at it again....makes me wonder.

TG

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plus, how many, man or woman, walk around swinging that coil with the free hand stuck in a coat pocket?? Free hand??? Who the heck has a free hand when out detecting?????? I am usually wishing I had an extra hand or two.

Texasgopher said:
Michiganne said:

HH

lol, well I thought the same thing you did when I first picked up the mag and I still think it is cool that they used a woman. BUT after thinking about what you said and looking at it again....makes me wonder.

TG

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in a hobby store yesterday and noticed that one of the Garrett boxes displays a nice looking young lady detecting on a beach. So this kind of marketing is very common with Garrett.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I will tell you that is one of the big turn offs for me with Garrett in some of his instruction videos and his ad's & his calendar . The people you see in them sure don't look like the people i see out detecting i never looked like that . They look like a bunch of yuppies instead of Treasure hunters........... They sure don't look like any one i meet while i am out detecting. They must be from a different world.

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mts said:
I was in a hobby store yesterday and noticed that one of the Garrett boxes displays a nice looking young lady detecting on a beach. So this kind of marketing is very common with Garrett.

Common with many retailers and no doubt successful, especially products like detectors which are marketed mainly to men. I'm waiting for the Garrett ad with the bronzed, burly, bare-chested Greek god with big pecs swinging an Ace 250. :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

HH,
Michiganne

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Michiganne said:
mts said:

Common with many retailers and no doubt successful, especially products like detectors which are marketed mainly to men. I'm waiting for the Garrett ad with the bronzed, burly, bare-chested Greek god with big pecs swinging an Ace 250. :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

HH,
Michiganne
But that really is not what real life people look like out there detecting. I got Garretts calendar this year looked at it and i put it in my waste can for to me it was garbage . I can' stand with such phoney looking people useing detctors.

Texasgopher

Jan 26, 2009
Amarillo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Keppy said:
I will tell you that is one of the big turn offs for me with Garrett in some of his instruction videos and his ad's & his calendar . The people you see in them sure don't look like the people i see out detecting i never looked like that . They look like a bunch of yuppies instead of Treasure hunters........... They sure don't look like any one i meet while i am out detecting. They must be from a different world.

I have a degree in marketing and advertising. And that is all they are doing. It makes more sense for them to target "new hunters" as opposed to someone that has five years of experience and have already made up in their own minds what they think about detecting and even how they think about different detector brands. You are not going to change those peoples minds no matter what the people look like in the calender. So they target the newbies. They portray young, energetic, fit, happy, smiling, women, kids etc. All to give the perception that Garrett machines are so easy to use anyone can just pick one up and start finding treasure. Their advertising even goes so far, visually, as to suggest that "if you metal detect with a Garrett you will be young, energetic, fit, happy, smiling...etc. too!" And why not? Most of those examples are true about Garrett machines(in my opinion).

That's all it is pure and simple. It's all Brand perception and it doesn't matter what people like you and me think about it. It works.

Just my 2 cents
TG

Texasgopher

Jan 26, 2009
Amarillo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Michiganne said:
mts said:

HH,
Michiganne

LOL, as funny as that is, I think it might target a different type of audience....just saying. Why not have Garrett babes modeling with the detectors. Now THAT may change some old set-in-his-ways treasure hunter to take a new look at Garrett. :laughing7: (don't tell my girlfriend I wrote that ::))

TG

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a degree in marketing and advertising. And that is all they are doing. It makes more sense for them to target "new hunters" as opposed to someone that has five years of experience and have already made up in their own minds what they think about detecting and even how they think about different detector brands. They portray young, energetic, fit, happy, smiling, women, kids etc. All to give the perception that Garrett machines are so easy to use anyone can just pick one up and start finding treasure. That's all it is pure and simple. It's all Brand perception and it doesn't matter what people like you and me think about it. It works.

Just my 2 cents
TG

Well said TG. :thumbsup: I do agree with Keppy that on a MDing magazine it would be nice to see a "real" detectorist. I believe they usually do picture one and I couldn't find any note inside the magazine explaining who was in the pic and where.

Here's a pic that shows the day I christened my Garrett Propointer. It was mid Nov. and snowing and I can assure you I was not dressed like the Garrett gal on the magazine. :wink:

HH,
Michiganne

Attachments

• treasure07-08 126comp.jpg
    treasure07-08 126comp.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 291
  • treasure07-08 126comp.jpg
    treasure07-08 126comp.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 286

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I still use a Garrett 1500 and a Pro Pointer but there ad's are just plain disgusting every time i see the people he put's in them . All i can say is.. "OH GOD WHY WHY." And that is the truth.

outdoors

Jun 23, 2008
el cajon, california
Detector(s) used
GTI2500, GTAX550, MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO,
PROPOINTER, GARRETT AT GOLD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keppy you are looking at the picture in the wrong way(to seriously)there are times when
I'am at the beach with my sand scoop on my shoulder for three to four minutes before
I hit a target. I know what the picture shows no tools and nothing to retrieve the target with...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread