Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watched the vid, it was just like the Bigfoot ones and all the others mockumentaries I have watch late at nite when I smoked or drank too much.:occasion14:

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Neat discussion. I do remember seeing an ancient map of Antarctica once that was surprisingly accurate seeing how it was 3-400 years old. Until radar scientists had no clue what the actual outline of the Antarctic continent was. Made me wonder how some early explorer got it so close.

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iā€™m not entirely sure about Antarctica but modern science sees tons of conflicts with existing theoryā€™s about human past. New things come up all the time that they bicker and fight about. Seems like at the end of the day most are more concerned about their theory holding up, or being ā€œrightā€ over seeking real truth. Can you imagine how much further along humanity could be if information wasnā€™t destroyed, or buried in endless bs simply to benefit a select few.

Some people burning everything down to gain power is just as human as those of us who question the given narrative. People lie, people cheat, people kill to be at the top. Itā€™s very reasonable to question things. Hell read a history book. Itā€™s easy to see why conspiracy exists.

OP
OP
T.C.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Can you imagine how much further along humanity could be if information wasnā€™t destroyed, or buried in endless bs simply to benefit a select few."

The Smithsonian Institute is a fine example of this. It is ALLEGED that all of the "giant" bones that were turned over to them throughout the years, were put on a barge and dumped in the Atlantic ocean. Why would they do such a thing? Afraid of having to re-write history? Afraid of admitting the Bible is right?
I do know one thing...scientists are not always right.

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Can you imagine how much further along humanity could be if information wasnā€™t destroyed, or buried in endless bs simply to benefit a select few."

The Smithsonian Institute is a fine example of this. It is ALLEGED that all of the "giant" bones that were turned over to them throughout the years, were put on a barge and dumped in the Atlantic ocean. Why would they do such a thing? Afraid of having to re-write history? Afraid of admitting the Bible is right?

LOL..."giant bones"....Anyone 6 foot tall in ancient days would be considered a giant...

Last edited:

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009

It's ALEGED!! Then you ask why would they do those things as if it actually happened. Then continue to give possible reasons why they may have done it. Only one problem. There is no evidence that any of it happed. You can put anything you want in front of those two words. I's alleged. I can spin all kinds of yarn using those two words. You can even mobilize millions of people with those words. Don't take my word for it, just look around.

OP
OP
T.C.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's ALEGED!! Then you ask why would they do those things as if it actually happened. Then continue to give possible reasons why they may have done it. Only one problem. There is no evidence that any of it happed. You can put anything you want in front of those two words. I's alleged. I can spin all kinds of yarn using those two words. You can even mobilize millions of people with those words. Don't take my word for it, just look around.

There is evidence. I read it in a book.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
There is evidence. I read it in a book.

[h=2]Definition of allege[/h]

[FONT=&quot]transitive verb
[FONT=&quot]1:to assert without proof or before provinga report alleging that the company deliberately overcharged its customersShe is alleged to have stolen more than $50,000 over the course of several years.

I would wager it all comes under alleged as you indicated in your post. There is a problem when to many people except things that have no evidence to support them as facts. These things can often be trivial but when falsehoods and unproven assertions are excepted as truth by many, your in dangerous waters.

[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
Definition of allege

transitive verb
1:to assert without proof or before provinga report alleging that the company deliberately overcharged its customersShe is alleged to have stolen more than $50,000 over the course of several years.

I would wager it all comes under alleged as you indicated in your post. There is a problem when to many people except things that have no evidence to support them as facts. These things can often be trivial but when falsehoods and unproven assertions are excepted as truth by many, your in dangerous waters.

And yet some politicians were convicted on alleged.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This old chestnut again, which is based on misreported sensationalism not fact. The Smithsonian openly published letters from (usually amateur) ā€˜archaeologistsā€™ making claims that they had found ā€˜giant bonesā€™. They also then published follow-up reports after their regional and field geologists had assessed what was claimed. There isnā€™t a single instance where the claims for giant bones of human origin could be substantiated. The ā€˜Vero Manā€™ story is typical of these kinds of false reports of giant mound builders and other similar claims.

From about 1913, large bones were noted in strata between Vero (its name changed to Vero Beach in 1925) and Gifford in Florida during construction of a drainage canal. These were later established to be fossil bones from large Pleistocene vertebrates, including very large mammoth bones. Giant maybeā€¦ but not human giant. Misinformation was quickly spread by newspapers of the day with crowd-pulling headlines: ā€œGiant Bones Found! Extry Extry... Read All About It!ā€

Local natural history enthusiasts Frank Ayers and Isaac Wells (sometimes reported as Weills) took an interest in these finds and, in 1915, Ayers found a partial human skull in the same area, followed by additional bones that seemed to be of human origin. The skull was of normal size for a human. The bones were fragmentary. Ayers and Wells contacted Elias Sellards - the state geologist in Tallahassee. Sellards was already aware of previous fossil finds and began an extensive excavation of the area. In addition to many bones from extinct mammals such as mammoths, mastodons, horses, and giant ground sloths, he found more human remains. The animal bones were often quite large, but the human bones were of normal size.

In total, he found human bones from what he judged to be at least five individuals, spread across three locations. One of those individuals (44 bones and fragments) came to be known as ā€œVero Manā€, although now believed to be female. The remains were shuffled around between the Florida State Museum of History, the Florida Geological Survey and the Smithsonian Institution numerous times and believed to have been ā€œlost in transitā€ (carelessness, not conspiracy) sometime around 1945. That particular unfortunate loss has fuelled completely unsubstantiated stories of the Smithsonian systematically destroying evidence of lost civilisations of giants.

Despite the loss of the Vero bones, the Smithsonian still has a cast replica of the skull (including some pieced together fragments) made so that the original could be returned to Florida for display. I donā€™t know if itā€™s currently on general display but here it is pictured in 1996. Itā€™s of normal human dimensions and is not unusual in any respect.

VeroSkullCast.jpg

In addition, Sellards documented the (now lost) bones in detail in the ā€œ8th Annual Report of the Florida Geological Survey, 1916ā€, along with photographs of the major bones in Plate 18 onwards at the end of the report. The measurements of the human bones he found are in all cases typical for conventionally sized people of the time. There is no reference anywhere in his 160 page report or his 31 plates of photographs to "giant humans".

SellardsReport.jpg

The story is the same in all other cases where the Smithsonian was involved. Any bones claimed to be "giant" proved to be from humans of conventional size but powerfully-built stature, or from large non-human mammals.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T.C.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[h=2]Definition of allege[/h]

[FONT="][I][URL="https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/transitive"]transitive verb[/URL][/I]
[FONT="]1:to assert without proof or before provinga report alleging that the company deliberately overcharged its customersShe is alleged to have stolen more than $50,000 over the course of several years.

[/FONT]
[/FONT]

That's admirable of you correcting YOUR spelling of "alleged." Also, it's "you're," not "your."

Last edited:
OP
OP
T.C.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Try giving this an unbiased read. "Giants on Record," by Jim Vieira and Hugh Newman

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try giving this an unbiased read. "Giants on Record," by Jim Vieira and Hugh Newman

I have read it. Sadly overlooked for the Booker Prize, perhaps because they couldnā€™t decide whether it deserved nomination in the ā€˜fictionā€™ or ā€˜comedyā€™ categories.

The author, Jim Vieira, had his talk video ā€œStone Builders, Mound Builders and the Giants of Ancient Americaā€ removed from the TEDx website (TED Conferences LLC is an American media organization that posts talks online for free distribution under the slogan "ideas worth spreading").

Hereā€™s the opener of a letter from the TED Curator Stacy Kontrabecki, explaining why:

Dear Jim,

As you know, I have been receiving a lot of queries regarding your TEDx talk and challenging the scientific validity of some of what you presented. I, for one, have been deeply gratified by the on-line response to your talk even though a number of the YouTube comments have challenged your presentation.

As a result of these challenges, and challenges to other science-based videos from other TEDx communities, TED issued a detailed memo from TED on how to vet science-based speakers and discourage ā€œpseudo-scienceā€ with respect to potential TEDx presenters. I wish I had received this before assembling our presenter group.

In any case, I agreed with the TED team, who felt they had to do a fact check based on these guidelines. While I concur with much of what the fact check revealed, I am still grateful for your presentation at our first TEDxShelburneFalls conference.

Basically, TEDā€™s fact check found that your talk is based on a debunked popular hoax from the early 1900s and promotes a well-known and widely discredited fringe theory, while misrepresenting the existence of legitimate research on this issue. (TED/TEDx is not a platform that allows unsubstantiated claims to be put forward as science.) Here are just a few specific examples of the unsubstantiated claims in your TEDx talk:ā€¦

You can read the letter in full here:
https://tedxshelburnefalls.wordpress.com/2012/12/14/jim-vieiras-talk-removed-from-internet/

OP
OP
T.C.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This old chestnut again, which is based on misreported sensationalism not fact. The Smithsonian openly published letters from (usually amateur) ā€˜archaeologistsā€™ making claims that they had found ā€˜giant bonesā€™. They also then published follow-up reports after their regional and field geologists had assessed what was claimed. There isnā€™t a single instance where the claims for giant bones of human origin could be substantiated. The ā€˜Vero Manā€™ story is typical of these kinds of false reports of giant mound builders and other similar claims.

From about 1913, large bones were noted in strata between Vero (its name changed to Vero Beach in 1925) and Gifford in Florida during construction of a drainage canal. These were later established to be fossil bones from large Pleistocene vertebrates, including very large mammoth bones. Giant maybeā€¦ but not human giant. Misinformation was quickly spread by newspapers of the day with crowd-pulling headlines: ā€œGiant Bones Found! Extry Extry... Read All About It!ā€

Local natural history enthusiasts Frank Ayers and Isaac Wells (sometimes reported as Weills) took an interest in these finds and, in 1915, Ayers found a partial human skull in the same area, followed by additional bones that seemed to be of human origin. The skull was of normal size for a human. The bones were fragmentary. Ayers and Wells contacted Elias Sellards - the state geologist in Tallahassee. Sellards was already aware of previous fossil finds and began an extensive excavation of the area. In addition to many bones from extinct mammals such as mammoths, mastodons, horses, and giant ground sloths, he found more human remains. The animal bones were often quite large, but the human bones were of normal size.

In total, he found human bones from what he judged to be at least five individuals, spread across three locations. One of those individuals (44 bones and fragments) came to be known as ā€œVero Manā€, although now believed to be female. The remains were shuffled around between the Florida State Museum of History, the Florida Geological Survey and the Smithsonian Institution numerous times and believed to have been ā€œlost in transitā€ (carelessness, not conspiracy) sometime around 1945. That particular unfortunate loss has fuelled completely unsubstantiated stories of the Smithsonian systematically destroying evidence of lost civilisations of giants.

Despite the loss of the Vero bones, the Smithsonian still has a cast replica of the skull (including some pieced together fragments) made so that the original could be returned to Florida for display. I donā€™t know if itā€™s currently on general display but here it is pictured in 1996. Itā€™s of normal human dimensions and is not unusual in any respect.

View attachment 1900452

In addition, Sellards documented the (now lost) bones in detail in the ā€œ8th Annual Report of the Florida Geological Survey, 1916ā€, along with photographs of the major bones in Plate 18 onwards at the end of the report. The measurements of the human bones he found are in all cases typical for conventionally sized people of the time. There is no reference anywhere in his 160 page report or his 31 plates of photographs to "giant humans".

View attachment 1900453

The story is the same in all other cases where the Smithsonian was involved. Any bones claimed to be "giant" proved to be from humans of conventional size but powerfully-built stature, or from large non-human mammals.

Nothing but conjecture...

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing but conjecture...

Have you actually read Sellards' extremely comprehensive report? You can find it online. I downloaded a pdf copy some time ago but no longer have the link.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's admirable of you correcting YOUR spelling of "alleged." Also, it's "you're," not "your."

Please remember there is no grammar police here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread