Lost Mines in Mexico - An Important Discovery by H.O. Flipper August 21, 1889

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola Don Jose

Most burns off anyway the flavor like pork and chicken concentrates in outer part of flesh giving a pork crackling type taste. Some fear that you can get rabies from eating a Bat? Just looking at a bat, you can't tell if it is carrying the Rabies virus. Rabies can only be confirmed in a laboratory. The bacteria is in saliva of the bat. Once cooked the soft tissue membrane in the mouth is cooked away.The natives have been eating them for thousand of years. Only transmission they had was through is through a bites or scratches.

Kanacki

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola Kanacki, I have had my rabies shots - the tummy, so I guess that I can eat them, only they aren't found here, just the vampires The fruit bats are very interesting animals, I have seen them by the thousands in trees..

Incidentally, you do not have to be bitten to contrsct Rabies.Same for doggies, just a slurp will do it under the right conditions.

Last edited:

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola Don Jose.

Its late as I am on watch on my Schooner "Ocean Child" Just sailed down the Malay peninsula through the Malacca strait. through Indonesia via Borneo down into the spice islands. Hanging out at Rabaul as I am awaiting changing weather conditions in North Pacific before I time my run heading up into north Pacific. 26 degrees at moment. The " Ocean child" She is a fine tropical island boat. But there is no way she ever handle roaring forties like the "Drumbeat" Drumbeat has 5 bulkheads. "The ocean Child" has none.Still she is an easy sailor with few crew built for comfort not so much for speed and well ventilated.

stbdside.jpg

Did you ever visit Bougainville during the war?

Kanacki

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola Don Jose

er about that book, what page are we up to now?

Kanacki
===========================================
YES !!!

Inquiring minds wish to know this also,

Gday all,,
Just saw this relatively recent thread about a place I would love to go to, but cannot.
And thought I would drop by say "hey" to my favorite band of "desperados".
I DO read every word and as a result my head swims with adventure.
But as said a few posts up, the cartels would make this visit rather interesting to say the least.
So I wait,,,and wait,,and wait, for books of adventure, and gold (of course).

OK ,, enough of this,, back to reading the rest
Thanks guys
Hit

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
H hit &, welcome to our lil talk group. I am glad that a Life spent as a wastrel is interesting. I agree, KANCKI'S life should be be told.. Psst he is a bank executive, a X, and a X. His life should be told, and he is an excellent story teller.

Kanacki, I love your new toy., alas I have only my cute mule for competition and an undeveloped Silver mine.

Shortfinger

Apr 7, 2015
Valley Center, CA/Yuma, AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
H hit &, welcome to our lil talk group. I am glad that a Life spent as a wastrel is interesting. I agree, KANCKI'S life should be be told.. Psst he is a bank executive, a X, and a X. His life should be told, and he is an excellent story teller.

Kanacki, I love your new toy., alas I have only my cute mule for competition and an undeveloped Silver mine.

Agreed, more from Kanacki. Although I think I prefer "Drumbeat", especially for the area you are in, "Ocean Child" is pretty as well. Perhaps when Crow is done with his latest adventure, he can return as well. Even if he can't share from the latest, his past is undoubtedly interesting, and I, for one would like to hear more. Bravo to all of you.

:coffee2::coffee2:

JB

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah whats few hours kip for the skipper. Bacon and eggs for breakfast. Today is a day of loitering. 1 pm we will have a barbie and sing sing on deck. Shortfigner you are correct. But its a toss up to decide which is the most expensive mistress to run. The "Drumbeat" has a steel hull with timber masts built for polar seas. The "Ocean Child" hull is of teak, and her masts made of metal. Two very different beasts. My biggest fear is opening the "Ocean child" like a sardine can on a coral reef. Not keen on open through hulled vessels as in a accident, Bulkheads can give you much better survival options. unless you are cut in half by a container-ship.:-) Still much more luxury inside than the Drumbeat.When we get back Micronesia we will run her up the slip. Install 2 bulkheads. sheath the hull with metal. And increase the counter weight as she has a little role when at sea. All good :thumbsup:

dine1.jpg

saloon1.jpg

Is that two dolphin fish you have in your picture? Nice cooked on hot coals on a beach in tinfoil or coconut palms mixed with coconut milk. I think you would love it out here the fishing is very good as the continental shelf drops off a few kilometers off the coast.

And Don Jose You still have not figured out the island just yet my friend.... You know this old pirate has method in his madness helping the victims of latest typhoon, months back. :-) Such is the way of the cannibal seas. As for raggedy old Crow He turns up when a ill wind blows just like Crows do. He doing it Okay loafing in a hammock and being pampered by his Polynesian goddess.

You know Bouganville has one the richest Copper deposits on the planet. with really high gold content. Right know the island is divided into two zones a strange ceasefire between government forces and rebels. A lot of bloodletting happened on the island in 1990's. Bouganville is still full of relics of WW2. Further south into the Solomon islands you have iron bottom sound. I am tempted to take a detour back into the Solomons instead of a direct route to Micronesia. But that another yarn and a little off topic.

Besides Hitndahed makes good point.What chapter are you up on your book sir Don Jose amigo wastrel of Mary Kai Kai culinary talents:laughing7:

Kanacki

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Ahh, here's gold again finally.As seen on Tayopa thread years ago.
It should be transferred to ink by multiple parties here.
Perhaps if Don de la Mancha Trampe would present a finished draft others might be inspired?
Devil's in the details ,suppose.
Pygmies fighting storks I have read of, not Ropen though. Interesting. More than interesting to the locals though; to be sure.

ROPEN LIGHTS SEEN BY A BIOLOGIST
How is a deceased British entomologist related to a few American cryptozoologists? Observations of ropen lights in Papua New Guinea bind them into a select group who have witnessed what some of us believe to be the bioluminescence of living pterosaurs.

The other day [late summer of 2009] Richard Muirhead, a cryptozoology enthusiast who lives 35 miles from Liverpool, UK, sent me copies of several pages from the book “The Two Roads of Papua,” by Evelyn Cheesman (published by Jarrolds, 1935). E.C. was an entomologist whose expeditions included a stay deep in the mainland of what is now the nation of Papua New Guinea. I was delighted that Muirhead found this book, for it gives details of E.C.’s observations and deliberations on the strange lights near the village of Mondo. I now feel secure in proclaiming her sighting to be of a “ropen light,” similar to the lights seen on Umboi Island.

To comment, go to the main Post page: “New insight into an old book.”
(From)
Ropen Lights seen by a biologist | Live Pterosaur

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kanacki, Al that I can say is that I damn glad to hear from you again. Like greeting a family member. And you were right about your new toy, purty.

Island ????

Long Mary KaiKai? nah haven't had any, I'm just too stuffy

Ropens do exist

Book ? Book ? what book ?

Last edited:

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola Don Jose that book? That book of yours of course? Ya ornery stubborn mule do we have to write it for you. I do not know how you got lazy hard drinking beach bum of a pirate Crow to do a cover for you? The only Job he jumped to on the Drumbeat was rubbing sun tan oil into bodies of my all girl crew. And you got him to design a book cover for you. You must of impressed him, So no excuses amigo.

Sheez you must have offered him some really good nip in the sock coffee.

releventchair Thanks for the link. Great find.Well done!:thumbsup:

I suppose to be taken serious about discovering a Ropen by scientific world one has present a live or death specimen. Most likely kill it and dissect it? ???

Ropen-Pterosaur-Dinosaur-Papa-New-Guinea-real.jpg

As photographs not matter how authentic can always be claimed to be photo shopped these days with computers therefor film and photographs of anything does not constitute evidence in Science? But why is it recognized in legal cases?. You know I wound if anyone has used that in Speed camera argument?

No problem there for me, I drive little these days and my sailing vessels do not break any speed records.

Kanacki?

Last edited:

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Morning Don Jose

There is consensus the Ropen with large protruding bone above the head are the males and ones without are the females. Sightings are not as common as many natives live below the tree canopy.Even in Rabul the outer suburbs of native dwellings goes for mile hidden under the canopy of the Forrest. Plus by enlarge the Ropen is nocturnal as the native by enlarge live from sun up to sundown. Many still do not have power or lights. So most go to sleep shortly after sun down. So native encounter or sightings in the day are extremely rare. The cassowary might even be an evolutionary descendant which proliferate through new Guinea and Australian tropical jungle areas.

23-Cassowary.jpg

What paleontologists failure to understand they base there understanding that living pterosaur disappeared in the mass extinction that killed off the dinosaurs 65 million years ago, and there is no indication that any of them survived past the close of the Cretaceous. Had they survived, they would have left us some fossil clues. The problem is they have based their science on the parts of the world where Ropen have died out much earlier in the Cretaceous period. They have not gone to new Guinea and have done very little paleontologist research of fossils in New Guinea. The Cretaceous period and I quote from the university of Berkley

The Cretaceous is defined as the period between 145.5 and 65.5 million years ago,* the last period of the Mesozoic Era, following the Jurassic and ending with the extinction of the dinosaurs (except birds). By the beginning of the Cretaceous, the supercontinent Pangea was already rifting apart, and by the mid-Cretaceous, it had split into several smaller continents. This created large-scale geographic isolation, causing a divergence in evolution of all land-based life for the two new land masses. The rifting apart also generated extensive new coastlines, and a corresponding increase in the available near-shore habitat. Additionally, seasons began to grow more pronounced as the global climate became cooler. Forests evolved to look similar to present day forests, with oaks, hickories, and magnolias becoming common in North America by the end of the Cretaceous.

At the end of the Cretaceous Period, 65 million years ago, an asteroid hit Earth in the Yucatan Peninsula, Mexico, forming what is today called the Chicxulub impact crater. It has been estimated that half of the world's species went extinct at about this time, but no accurate species count exists for all groups of organisms. Some have argued that many of the species to go extinct did so before the impact, perhaps because of environmental changes occurring at this time. Whatever its cause, this extinction event marks the end of the Cretaceous Period and of the Mesozoic Era.

New Guniea is part of the Australasian plate was pushed northward to the equator. So temperature was enough and still is for the possabilty of a creature like the Ropen surviving. isolated from its counterparts that died out in the mass extinction in the Cretaceous period. With no predator isolated on the tropical island of new guinea covered with think vegetation with million of bats that formed part of their diet. I cannot see argument about a fossil record when they have not looked for fossils beyond the Cretaceous period in New Guniea?

The Smithsonian came up with argument why would ropen be seen with a tail as another species that was much newer had no tails? Once again they are basing their evolution from data from other parts of the world. The Ropen with no predators and ideal temperature and food conditions did not need to evolve in the New Guniea region where it had to evolve do changing conditions and eventually die out.

Anyway enough said

Kanacki

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Tales of giant lizards turn up.
No claim of complete inventory of all flora and fauna; a daunting task by any measure, to prove or disprove what exists or existed.

[Although New Guinea covers less than 0.5 per cent of the Earth’s landmass, it shelters 6 to 8 per cent of the world’s species. Over two thirds of these species are found nowhere else on earth. It is an area that is nature rich, but money poor.]

(Source)

Over 1000 New Species Found in New Guinea : Discovery News

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes,,
I do enjoy the conversation when Kanacki decides to add to a conversation. By the way that is a beautiful vessel sir.
Well appointed and appears quite seaworthy.
A bit luxurious,, but hey,,, if ya gotta be there ya might as well be comfortable. Right ?
The bulkheads are a good idea but I am wondering on the amount of time to complete a project of that magnitude.
You will have to gut the vessel, at least in the cabins where they will be placed and then somehow tie it all in structurally as to keep it from literally "breaking in half",.
As far as sheathing goes, what are you going to use? There are many products that will add considerable strength without adding too much weight.

Ahhh yes,,, the "Ropen" There are actually tales of this creature all over the world at one time or another, recent times too, I should add.
I read some report somewhere,,,I wish I could remember what the title was, about the dinosaurs "having feathers" being warm-blooded, and a couple more odd facts.
It caught my eye because when I used to think about them I would always thing reptile. A common conception. But apparently they were quite intelligent and different from what were taught when in school.
Speaking od dinosaurs,,again. What of the T-Rex "fossils discovered that were found to be so radioactive that they needed to be "painted" with a special paint to protect those who went to view them?
Not sure which location it is in , but I would surely like to know how that occurred. I do think there are several "holdovers" from that era still alive on the planet. There IS some evidence pointing in that direction,, the semi-recent Coelacanth catches directly indicate so.

As all of the posters here have stated, New Guinea would be the best place for these creatures to survive.
Isolation, climate and plenty of food are prime conditions for exotic hold-over species to continue to live and breed.
And too, there is evidence of there being interactions with humans in the not too distant past. I am referring to South American carvings, Ankor Wat and others.
The commonality of these is tropical location, abundant food and isolation. As far as Sasquatch goes, I have a different theory on that.
Ahhh well, time for more coffee and do some work. That IS what I get paid to do eh? hehheh

Gmorning gentlemen
Hit

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola Releventchair excellent post. You have earned yourself a cup of Don Jose world famous Sock Coffee.

Its funny the perception we have of treasure.

I suppose we all got carried away with Hollywood movies for example. The Muscle bound hero finds all the clues defeats all the baddies grabs the girl and sails off into the sunset with the treasure, all with in 1hour movie? If only it was all that easy? It can in fact take years, in fact more than one lifetime. Dame fortune is a hard mistress to please. While we Kid about Don Jose about his book, I understand why there is some things he cannot disclose. Because in the real treasure hunting world it is a game about playing ones cards to ones best ability. The simple fact that few realize is just because you find some thing does not mean you have automatic rights to keep it. Nor capital, political and financial connections to exploit it.

As many people fantasize what it is like find treasure. Careful what your wish for when you let that genie out of the bottle? Because life can and end up being much better dreaming of it, than actually having it. While the Trio over the long years have seen the effects of what it can do to people. We seen families torn apart by greed, friends and neighbors in their community notice little things even if you found treasure in secret. All of sudden your driving new cars, boats etc... Starts the local gossip rumor mill about your sudden new found wealth. And nothing spreads quicker like oil on a sofa.

All of sudden family who never seen to have money when your in need come with hardluck story with their hands out. Give to one the others converge on you like a flock of rapid seagulls. Give to one and not the other your a bast... to the one that does not get anything. Give to none to anyone your a tight ass bast.... If you have children or grand children the bitter realization comes that they can be potential kidnap victims. When you were broke Me and wife could not give the children away :-)

So before long you exiled from the community where you once lived and roamed about freely, and no one cares who you are or what you do. You move from you community to a gated security estate becoming a prisoner behind security walls you once walked freely outside a poor man.

Pretty young Women all of sudden find your aging sagging body attractive.... Your kids become complacent that the rest of their live your going to be the family ATM. This is just some of the problems. So finding treasure can come at huge price my friends. While treasure can give you financial stability and keep you from falling off economic cliff as many people these days struggle and fear to hold on to. It cannot buy you happiness. Better to be loved as poor man than a rich man.

And so the treasure in life that you seek may not be the one you desire but the one you do not know you have?

Kanacki

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola Hitndahed

It is night in Kanacki land. While in Rabaul as well some other ports it not uncommon to have kids of even adults swim out to steal off the boat, even at night. So as a rule of thumb even at anchor some one is on watch. So I was on dog watch last night all crew and passengers get a turn on my vessel gets a turn. 99% of the time its not a problem as long as some is awake or watching TV or surfing the internet.

So your stuck with old Kanacki reminiscing I am afraid. For my insertion bulk heads, it is indeed a big Job. The interior will strip down as we will do each bulk head in stages. The vessel did have commercial approval for Thailand it does meet the commercial standards of Lloyd's. I want a collision bulkhead in front. A front Engine room Bulkhead and rear bulkhead between master stateroom and engine room. I am looking for automatic fire suppression system in the engine room. Not just a fire extinguisher. As for sheathing I am considering Muntz metal version sheathing then re coated with Anti fouling resins. At present she rides a little high so extra weight with sheathing will not be so much of problem. My main concern having metal hull is much better around coral reef. I rather lose sheathing than a punctured planking stove in. Since I live on island surrounded by reefs. I am lucky as I have a slipway all to myself so she can sit on the cradle as long as I want. In essence the "Ocean Child" is Coastal Schooner and only 10 years old. It does not enough storage capacity for long sea voyages. all tho I island hop these day. I still have done pretty long legs without seeing land. regardless she never be good for south 40. the drumbeat is much more a Tougher pedigree she is 57 years old. As she gets older she has more and more insurance conditions placed on her.

Few years ago we sailed the roaring forties. For those who do not know what the roaring for forties is like here is old sailors saying by those who have sailed the "Horn" reference to what the weather is like in lower latitudes closer to the South Pole.

In the Roaring Forties you thank god you Survived.

In the Furious Fifties you pray to god to Survive.

In the Screaming Sixties you scream there is no God!

Kanacki

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Speaking of living dinosaurs ------My partner in the merucry mine, Don Villa senor once told me a story of when he was prospecting wth a friend in the Rio Verde region. For the readers benefit that doesn't know Mexico, it is still a very remote region in Mexico in the Junction of the lower Chihuahua/Sinaloa/ Eastern border. The edge of same area of the Gloria Pan , where I had my swim with that 80 ft acquatic snake ?

They were on foot prospecting, effectively back packing since they couldn"t afford an animal..They were in a big bend of the Rio verde, it came from East, wher it curved to the North then West.

They decided to separate to find the best path for the future. My friend went overland, he arrived at the meeting place first.

It was a picturesque scene, clear water running over sandy banks under a canopy of trees about 15 - 20 ft high. He put his pack down and headed for a drink in the clear stream.

As he neared the stream he noticed fresh tracks in the damp sand, then the hair on his head rose up. By the time that his partner had arrived he had calmed down and decided to see his partner's reaction.

His partner put his pack down then started also to get a drink. He only got as far as the tracks, he exclaimed "Ejoo, vamos a arrancar de aqui" (Holy s----, let's get the h---- out of here') This they did, costantly scanning the trees around them.

About sunset they found a lonely cabin with a totally closed corral. top and bottom. Upon hailing it, a man came to the door, and after exchanging small talk, he invited them to stay the night - this they were more than willing to do, with the memory of the fresh tracks in their minds.

As usual the talk was about the small things on the trail, then they finally broached what was on their minds. " Have you ever noticed anything strange around here" they asked. "NO" the man replied. Then they told him about the fresh tracks they had seen that morning. "Oh them" he replied, "Yes they occasionally appear". "As you noticed, my corral for my goats is covered top and bottom. One night one of them broke into my corral and killed 20 of my goats, eating 5 of them. So I had to cover the corral, but there aren't many of them. I havent any idea where they come from, this area is full of canyons and barrancas, some landlocked."

Naturally with this type of talk, my friend was very willing to spend the night, but curiously they found no further evidence of the creature.

According to his description, they are around 12 - 15 high and are two legged, taking 1 meter strides and the tracks are approx. 1/2 meter + in width. He described a three toed imprint, with high arch about 15 - 18 inches long, with what appeared to be a dew claw. ( thumb print), with the occasional evidence of a tail dragging in the damp sand..

Sooooo ???If there is a living dinasour there has to be a mom and pop, live ,worth a fortune, now you see why I need Oro, bait, after all, a living dinosaur is worth serious money.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kanacki, my grand father came around the horn in a sailing ship. His descriptions match yours perfectly, since it took months to round the tip of south America. They would no sooner gain ground when they would be blown back to their last position..

He has long ago passed on but he developed bone problems because of the wormy diet and being cold and wet for this time.

Like most of a younger generation, I hardly ever listened to his stories - shoullda had my butt kicked. He was from Maine.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Ah yes Kanacki I agree with the curse of sudden wealth. Not from having such a great burden myself but from watching the effect.
Especially when not earned by sweat, it goes fast and is never enough. Never enough.
Watched a great windfall be wasted lavishly and it's owner after acquiring tokens of wealth ended up losing their home. Never enough, and when spending rises and more wealth is not obtained, the habit triumphs.

I'll side with Aesop's country mouse in this shack where the dirt road ends and enjoy beans and bacon in peace.
The couple boats are mere dinghies compared to the well heeled's, but ensure mobility and the odd fish.
Ensuring the simple pleasures in life by securing a nest egg really is enough. For many though until those simple pleasures are denied; their value is often overlooked and under rated...ran past in the quest for satisfying the never enough.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread