Lunch Hour Score

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
My local Goodwill store is right around the corner from my office. I stopped by there today during my lunch hour to see if anything interesting came in over the weekend. I don't normally look at stuff like luggage but I remembered somebody here mentioned they are always on the lookout for Hartmann luggage so I thought I would peruse the luggage shelf. One piece caught my eye as it seemed to be very well made and in excellent condition. The tag said it was made by Lark. I had never heard of that maker so I didn't buy it. However, I went back to my office and did a little internet sleuthing. Apparently Lark was a high-end luggage maker which has been bought out by Samsonite. The piece I saw at Goodwill is part of a discontinued line which seems to be very popular among airline crews for its light weight and durability. If anybody would know good luggage they would, right? A little additional research revealed that the piece at Goodwill had a suggested retail price of over $500 with dealers asking $275 - $375 for it (when they have it in stock). I dashed back over to Goodwill and bought it... for $25! I don't think this piece has ever been used as the original paperwork is still inside.

The picture below is very similar to the piece I bought. The only difference is mine has a black leather handle.

LARK937179.jpg

I think I need to visit Goodwill more often.

Upvote 3

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Nice find! Amazing it was still there after you did your research-- It would be just my luck to find out the value and go back to see someone standing in line to buy it...:violent1:

OP
OP
T

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
I was worried about that, too. I thought about swinging by after work but I thought I better hustle right back there and grab it before somebody else noticed it. As it turned out, there was a guy looking at the luggage when I went back but he had either passed on it or had not got to it yet.

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THANK YOU for the awesome advice.........I need to get new luggage for an upcoming trip also

OP
OP
T

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
I thought I would update some of my old threads and let everyone know how things turned out on the selling end of things. I had this piece of luggage listed on ebay for several weeks starting at $300. I gradually dropped the price and added the Best Offer option. I sold this a few weeks ago for $150 so a nice profit was made on this.

mariposagold

Bronze Member
May 1, 2012
Mariposa, California. USA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Classic SL, Bullseye II Probe, Garrett Groundhog.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find and good profit. My Goodwill has nothing but overpriced crap. Might have to check larger towns when I"m out and about.

HH.

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! Treasure is where you find it!

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great score! Goodwill is getting more and more restrictive these days. Sometimes I see items priced higher than the same items are brand new at department stores. Before the local store started doing the silly auction cabinet thing, I got a load of antique books 2 years ago, including a french hand-colored mini atlas from 1840 showing the republic of Texas as a distinct country, and Greenland bisected by an ocean channel. The maps of Africa were quite interesting as well. Having been offered over 100X the 2.99 price, one can't complain. Get the deals while they're hot!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions