MAJOR SILVER COIN FIRST, but wait ......

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Hit the water at the beach for the 3rd time this season this afternoon on the spur of the moment. Been doing well on rings so far with 2 gold, 1 silver, 1 junk (hello kitty), and one very strange one from today. Spent most of the day in waist to chest deep water. The highlight of the hunt, or so I thought, was when I was absolutely floored to find an 1881 Morgan silver dollar in my scoop. This particular beach saw heavy use going all the way back to the late 1800s, and I know other coins from this period had been dug, so I could understand how something like this might turn up. But I thought it strange how easy it was to find, and this beach is hunted pretty heavily. I thought it was prophetic that just last week when George found those 2 Morgans, I had responded back to his post saying I'd probably never dig one of those, and then wham. When I got home I started taking some pics for this post, and then the worst happened - that dreaded word "COPY" appeared on the back. Talk about a major letdown. I did some checking and apparently there are a lot of repro 1881CC dollars floating around, and now I'm the proud owner of one. I also pulled out this very strange ring, or should I say weapon. It's solid copper, and has a heavy point on the face that could do some serious damage. After that silver dollar disappointment I feel like using it on something .... lol. Oh well, at least I had fun trying and plan to hit it again soon.

Attachments

• 060115a.jpg
    060115a.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 241
  • 060115b.jpg
    060115b.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 270
  • 060115c.jpg
    060115c.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 273
  • 060115d.jpg
    060115d.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 226
  • 060115e.jpg
    060115e.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 225
  • 060115f.jpg
    060115f.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 229
Upvote 21

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No way!! Oh man..That sucks..
When u text me that pic i was blown away. .
Both of us with big silver..
Oh well, im sure it was fun..
That ring is sick!!
Hate to be on the other end of that..lol

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh no Bill. What a bummer. Now people know why we like going to super old sites with nothing modern around. That is the strangest ring and is certainly meant to hurt somebody. Maybe you can punch that COPY coin with it 8-)

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd be elated yet deflated to find that copy. I bet you were doing a "happy dance" when you saw that Morgan. I know Iw ould have danced a jig or 2.

Congrats on the nice hunt and the great story. :thumbsup:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That ring will poke your eye out!!!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel your pain! Well you have another tool to defend your self with! Sometimes I think life likes to laugh at us. Lol!
I just hope OD doesn't find one of those larger than life war nickel repros!

Pssssssst! You need to have Ahab8 give you "the Reales speech" silver is sure to follow!

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
I feel your pain! Well you have another tool to defend your self with! Sometimes I think life likes to laugh at us. Lol!
I just hope OD doesn't find one of those larger than life war nickel repros!

Pssssssst! You need to have Ahab8 give you "the Reales speech" silver is sure to follow!

Yeah, I could use that. Actually Abe owes me as right after I dug that Lord Baltimore sixpence back in Oct I told him that something special was just around the corner for him. And of course the rest is history (literally) as he waltzes right out and digs an incredible tree coin. I guess me, Abe and George need to complete the round robin. I give the luck to Abe, he gives it to George, so now George needs to send me his rabbits' foot and the circle will be complete. But doubt I can cash in until the fall.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I could use that. Actually Abe owes me as right after I dug that Lord Baltimore sixpence back in Oct I told him that something special was just around the corner for him. And of course the rest is history (literally) as he waltzes right out and digs an incredible tree coin. I guess me, Abe and George need to complete the round robin. I give the luck to Abe, he gives it to George, so now George needs to send me his rabbits' foot and the circle will be complete. But doubt I can cash in until the fall.
I owe you big time Bill. Not only did you tell me Id find something amazing right before the tree coin....you told me a BANNER find would come from my secret Treasure Island. I'm not sure an Italian guy has any luck to give but this little Irishman has plenty. So you just let me know when you need it and I will send it your way 88888888

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Bill that had to be a major bummer! Is it even silver? Regardless, I'm sure I will never dig one of those (LOL)

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ehh, that stinks, still pretty cool
I know about getting let down from a copy KG!
crappy feeling

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What goes around comes around Bill the silver luck is on it's way! Ahab just gave you the numbers!

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know how that feels sorta Bill I dug a obviously not gold 20 dollar with the word copy on top back also. That ring is interesting, maybe you can find out some history on it? Could it be rose gold?

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a bummer, Bill. On the bright side, I guess it will make for a good laugh some day in the future. Thanks for taking the time to post your first "Morgan."

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bit of a let down there Bill, but I'm sure it was good for a rush all the same.

Curious, and assuming you were using the CZ21, did it at least give you a high tone ?

I've seen a Canadian key date quarter that just didn't look right to me, and it weighed correctly, but it did not fool the detector. There was no "copy" on it either.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry about the let down Bill ! What is the item in the final pic ? Looks to have a silver bezel around it .

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Bill that ring is one bad s ,o and b never or cant imagine but the worse for a ring with a point on it. Man if that thing hit you ,you wont be instant ventilated. That's a find that would make your worst enemy cry,vanzutphen

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
I can imagine the choice phrases that left your mouth when you saw the word 'copy'. Nice finds though.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh man Bill... It even looks silver. I bet the feeling was amazing while it lasted though. Sometimes when its a great hit, I like to enjoy the target sound before recovering it... That way I can imagine its some early silver coin, before I'm let down when I see its a toasted copper. Ha. That can turn out to be the best feeling on a slow day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions