Making a double sided ring..Have you??

Rosco Bookbinder

May 26, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250. Are there others?
My brother Awhitster sent me the info that came from the W&E Treasures magazine, May 2005 (I think it was posted here). Making the rings seems like a great thing once you get it down pat. My question????? Has anyone made one, and if so, how big do you drill out the hole before you put it on the mandral??? I wear a size 11 3/4 or so. It has to be smaller than that to start with but how much bigger will it get while making it?
Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Upvote 0

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
OP
OP
Rosco Bookbinder

Rosco Bookbinder

May 26, 2007
Detector(s) used
Boobydoo said:
That was what you were referring too wasn't it.
I was talking about DOUBLE sided coin rings. I'll write the author of the article in question and see what he says. Thanks

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D
I believe if you want the words/image to show on both the inside and outside of the ring you have to drill a small hole and then slowly work tapping the inside edges of the hole to expand it to ring size. Basically the same process you use on the outside from the inside. Definitely a job for someone with patience. I agree that you will need a half or a dollar to make a size 11 ring.

OP
OP
Rosco Bookbinder

Rosco Bookbinder

May 26, 2007
Detector(s) used
at1cad said:
I believe if you want the words/image to show on both the inside and outside of the ring you have to drill a small hole and then slowly work tapping the inside edges of the hole to expand it to ring size. Basically the same process you use on the outside from the inside. Definitely a job for someone with patience. I agree that you will need a half or a dollar to make a size 11 ring.

I know how to make one (it's not like quoted above). I just need to know what size hole to start with to end up with a size 11 3/4.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't start with a hole. The hole is drilled and honed AFTER the ring is completely done. I used to do them when I was a kid. I guess, to be more precise, you could measure the diameter of a ring that fits you, then tap the coin until it's to that diameter and then drill and hone it out.

OP
OP
Rosco Bookbinder

Rosco Bookbinder

May 26, 2007
Detector(s) used
packerbacker said:
You don't start with a hole. The hole is drilled and honed AFTER the ring is completely done. I used to do them when I was a kid.
And right you are if we were talking about a spoon pounded, or hammer pounded ring. I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT ONE SIDED RINGS. AGAIN, I'M TALKING ABOUT DOUBLE SIDED RINGS!!!

Attachments

• double_sided_rings.jpg
    double_sided_rings.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 584

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
Wow!
Those are very cool rings - I'd like to find out how to make those 2 sided models myself!

coincollector101

May 8, 2007
Those are are sweet lookin!!
If you find out will you let me know?
Im in the process of making the one sided ring.

Thanks,
CC

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....heck, I don't know. I like that version better myself. Yes, please fill us in when you find out.

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
Made me a single sided one in the last couple of nights - Going to try a double sided one next.

Attachments

• ring2.jpg
    ring2.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 455

JimmyT

Jan 13, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Way back in high school we made a lot of them. Of course it was before clad came out so silver was always there. Another ring we made was using a stainless steel nut drill the center smooth to fit then sand all the edges except the two that would be the top. After all this is done get metal stamps and stamp your initials on top. If you take your time on the final sand with wet sandpaper it shines as bright as anything you can buy. You can make it thick or thin or anywhere in between depends on how much sanding you want to do.

Later Jim

soldierman

May 18, 2006
Thanks here as well... I knew how to make single sided but wasn't sure how to do the two sided ones. I'm going to print and save the pdf.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FINALLY someone posted up good instructions... and how to make the double sided rings as well. Now to find the coins to be able to make them, as I don't think I have any big silver coins.

Bran <><

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And now the link is dead..did anyone save the instructions by chance?????????

CaptainRobin

Mar 14, 2006
The Peach State
Detector(s) used
Whatever it takes to get the coon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ain't made one, but I did find one MDing on Ft. Leonard Wood, MO back in the 80s..... it was made with a '32 quarter. You can see the date inside. I still have it.

Robin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions