Making A Miller Table Using A Rubber Mat For The Surface

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As you can see I have taken a different approach in securing the 1/2" CPVC tubing by using a rubber grommet. Using a Unibit I was able to size the holes slightly small than the OD of the inner grove of the grommet this makes the ID of the grommet slight smaller. This allows the CPVC tube to be very tight within the grommet. The CPVC tubing is sealed and no chance of leaking around the grommets. The 1/8” holes are pointing downward and onto pad within the water box. I installed a top made from a 1/4" cutting board and angled so that the bottom of the front plate will be about 1/2” off of the easy liner for water to escape from under the plate through the Scotch Brite. Some of the photos you will see a ball valve but the finished Miller Table I used a needle and seat valve from Loew's of which will allow for finer adjustment and even out the water flow.

To finish off the Miller Table fine gold recovery system I built a PVC stand with stainless steel all-thread and wing nuts at each corner so I can adjust the level of the table. A 500 GPH 12 volt Attwood was used. I used PVC T fittings that snap over 3/4" PVC pipe so that I can tilt the front or the back of the table to adjust the angle.

Some of you are having trouble locating Easy Liner here is a link to all the vendors who may carry the product. Granted every store may or may not carry the product. EASY LINER VENDORS

This is what your looking for SOLID Solid Easy Liner® - Black | Duck® Brand EASY LINER

If you cannot find it in your area then buy it online from AMAZON

Duck Brand makes many different colors, textures, widths, and lengths of shelve liners, your looking for Easy Liner Ultra Fresh and currently its made in three colors of White, Tan, or Black. Below is what the texture looks like. The surface has a very slight texture to it, its solid and smooth.

EASY LINER.jpg

T225.jpg T224.jpg T223.jpg
T226.jpg T228.jpg T229.jpg
T227.jpg T231.jpg T232.jpg
T219.jpg T217.jpg T218.jpg
T233.jpg T220.jpg T221.jpg
T222.jpg T247.jpg T248.jpg
T250.jpg T251.jpg T265.jpg
T266.jpg T267.jpg T268.jpg

MAKE SURE ONCE ON THE YOUTUBE VIDEO TO SWITCH OVER TO 720p TO VIEW THE VIDEOS IN HIGH DEF.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
AzViper

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
After searching for the right stuff I think I have found it. It's Kelly green and made by Kittrich Corporation. I am going to go look at this tomorrow. Looks to be the right color for the Miller Table. Need to see if the texture is correct and if its spongy. By the looks of the roll it appears to have a very slight smooth texture. Gold would really pop out against this color. Comes in 18" x 24' rolls up to 75' rolls.

Kelly Green.png

Dart70ca

Tenderfoot
Aug 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Isopropinol is ok on it, as is Elmer's spray contact adhesive. The alcohol didn't do much to improve wetting-out. This stuff needs more wetting agent than the chalkboard paint did so really should be run in a recirculation tub. The paint was ok if I squirted some on the piece of GutterStuff sponge (used to smooth water flow, head of table under spray bar) every 20 mins or so. On the other hand, I really didn't notice too much of a problem in the way of surface tension carrying gold away, either. Bilge pump is on the way.

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After searching for the right stuff I think I have found it. It's Kelly green and made by Kittrich Corporation. I am going to go look at this tomorrow. Looks to be the right color for the Miller Table. Need to see if the texture is correct and if its spongy. By the looks of the roll it appears to have a very slight smooth texture. Gold would really pop out against this color. Comes in 18" x 24' rolls up to 75' rolls.

Yeah, you'd want to make sure it's not simple shelf paper.

I found it on amazon 18"x9' for $6 if you have prime for free shipping
Search on 24F-C9H48-06

Dart70ca

Tenderfoot
Aug 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I contacted both Duck Brands and Kittrich Products regarding these liners. Here are their replies;

From Duck (ShurTech Brands)

'All easy liners are non-adhesive, shelf liners made of "non-slip" PVC coated polyester scrim. The Ultra Fresh liners contain an antimicrobial agent (Ultrafresh MS25) added to inhibit growth of mold and mildew on the liner.'

I suspect they didn't read the part where I specified 'solid' liner. Not knowing what 'scrim' was, I looked it up.

https://www.kirson.de/inhalt/en/download/en_produkte.pdf

and it appears to be the webbed base for the liner with holes in it. I'm guessing the solid liner is the same PVC material that the scrim is coated with.

From Kittrich Products (makers of Contact Brands)

'Hi Keith, all of our grip products are made of PVC.'

So, aside from the anti-microbial coating/additive on the Duck Brands one, it looks like they are the same thing. Whether the coating has anything to do with getting more gold to stick to it, that I do not know.

Keith

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finished the retrofit of installing Solid Easy Liner® - Black | Duck® Brand EASY LINER over the chalkboard paint on my portable miller table. :occasion14:
Here is a before shot of my table.........
miller 2.jpg

And after the install...................
mt1.jpg

Am currently in the process of running my cons from a recent prospecting trip and so far I must say that I'm very impressed with the mats performance over that of the chalkboard paint.

I really like the way that the gold sticks to the mat and can testify that whatever oils may be present in the mat they have no adverse effect on the mats ability to hold even the tinyest specks of gold in place.

Although before running any material I did scrub the mat with a soft cloth soaked with dish washing liquid and 91% isopropyl alcohol followed by a thorough rinsing and subsequent application of jet dry to the mat with a clean soft cloth.

Not sure if I am imagining it, but it also seems easier to snuff up the gold specks off the mat than off slate or the painted surface. :dontknow:
Either way I'm happy with the performance so far and see no reason for that to change.

Go for the Gold!
GG~

Last edited:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GG, man are you motivating me. I got well over a 5 gl bucket full of stuff that flashes and so does someone else I know. Delnorter? You seeing this???

I would run that 5 gallon bucket through a Gold Cube first which will turn it into about a cup of super cons before running it down the miller table. Unless you have 5 gal of super cons already, then you have enough to keep you busy for quite awhile.

Either way you're right.........it's Ti i i i ime!

GG~

Last edited:

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Jeff, yes, I hear ya load and clear. I have about a pint of black sands with a lot of small gold in it. I need to take a look at building something along these lines as well. Keep in mind also, I have access to a fair amount of old pieces of sheet aluminum. Maybe you could use some?

Mike

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Aw, I thought you had pounds like me Mike. Truth is GG is right, I need to classify those pounds thru my 12 (and maybe 20 also) to see how much I truly have. I like the fact that I already have things some things I need for the table but may have a little trouble with the machining end of it. (I used to have a shop but it's in storage). I know you work more hours than God but give me a call when you can.
Ps I already know where the shelf paper is in WM :laughing7:

Last edited:
OP
OP
AzViper

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here is Jeff's Rubber Mat Miller Table. Its nearly a copy of the the first table I made back in February. It's a smaller version but will operate the same. No need to make the table any larger. What I built for Jeff is more like a table top model that is only 24" long and 7" wide. The only thing I did different was to install the matting up the sides in one entire piece of rubber. If I every decide to make the Miller Tables they will all have the matting up the sides, little more expense but it will save very very small gold from getting down in between the mat and aluminum sides.

Jeff1.jpg Jeff2.jpg Jeff3.jpg Jeff4.jpg
Jeff5.jpg Jeff6.jpg Jeff7.jpg Jeff8.jpg
Jeff9.jpg Jeff10.jpg Jeff14.jpg Jeff15.jpg
Jeff16.jpg Jeff17.jpg Jeff18.jpg Jeff13.jpg
Jeff20.jpg Jeff21.jpg Jeff22.jpg Jeff23.jpg
Jeff28.jpg Jeff29.jpg Jeff30.jpg Jeff31.jpg
Jeff32.jpg Jeff33.jpg Jeff34.jpg Jeff35.jpg

The removable vial is mounted into the table. This makes it very easy for the gold clean up as the user will will brush the gold into the vial

Last edited:
OP
OP
AzViper

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Az what kind of plastic are u using? What's it called and where did u find it. Thanks for any info

HDPE High-Density Polyethylene Plastic - I have access to cut-offs that I use that come from 4'x8' sheets.. These cut-offs are 3/4" thick that I can put through my table saw and cut them down to the thickest I desire. You may try Target, Walmart, Kmart, Sears, etc. that sales cutting boards.

Ivansgarage

Tenderfoot
Dec 31, 2014
Tucson AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keith

Where are you getting the Aluminum sluice box body? Or buying the Aluminum in Tucson?
Gota say, you do nice work.

Ivan

OP
OP
AzViper

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Keith

Where are you getting the Aluminum sluice box body? Or buying the Aluminum in Tucson?
Gota say, you do nice work.

Ivan

Hi Ivan,

The blank came from online from this link, Blank Sluice Boxes. All bent from .063 aluminum. I have to say at least this blank was even from top to bottom on the width. I am sure I could find someone local or my friend in Jay at Just Bent to bend these up rather reasonable provided that I bought enough to use up an entire sheet of aluminum, but to buy just individual boxes can get expensive. Jeff's build was a one of a kind build for him.

Ivansgarage

Tenderfoot
Dec 31, 2014
Tucson AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
AzViper

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Jeff yup that would be a nice size, that ebay link says he is out, but sent him
a message to let me know when he gets more.

Thanks Ivan

Ivan the link I provided shows his other sizes. Back at the beginning of Jeff's build I went looking for a sluice box to design the table for Jeff. I am sure that Zenified will bend up anything you want.

AuTSaurus

Feb 22, 2007
So. Ca.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, Goldbug2, Fisher CZ, White's Goldmaster, Vallon
Hello, AzViper. Very nice design and construction of your table. If you don't mind, I was wondering if you could answer a few questions?

The last couple of posts answered a question that I had about the spray bar cover and sluice end, so I'm okay concerning that.
I would also like to know if you cut those Tees that snap/slip onto the PVC pipe, or did you find them made that way? If you cut them,
what width did you cut the slot, (measurement)?
Lastly, if you purchased them, and the needle valve, what store carries them?

Appreciate any answers/help, and if I think of anything else I will post again.

A Big THANKS for sharing your design and build with everyone, it is appreciated greatly, by many!

Greg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread