Maps

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just don't lick the yellow ones !!
But seriously, does " rock licking " fall within the same category of scientific research as " tongue-testing supercooled outdoor metal support structures " ???

Always wondered how them paleontology dudes could tell the difference between a dinosaur coprolite and just another old rock.

Coprolite tastes like CRAP!��

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forklift repair, whoulda thunked

Nothing wrong with fixing forklifts. It's a good straight job. People here are from all walks of life. As much as I dislike Bill, his job isn't an issue. At least he isn't like a locally well known person claiming to be a bigs**t TV Producer, who screwed a bunch of folks out of a bunch of money!

Mike

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Nothing wrong with fixing forklifts. It's a good straight job. People here are from all walks of life. As much as I dislike Bill, his job isn't an issue. At least he isn't like a locally well known person claiming to be a bigs**t TV Producer, who screwed a bunch of folks out of a bunch of money!

Mike

bigshot tv producer?

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just don't lick the yellow ones !!
But seriously, does " rock licking " fall within the same category of scientific research as " tongue-testing supercooled outdoor metal support structures " ???

Always wondered how them paleontology dudes could tell the difference between a dinosaur coprolite and just another old rock.

It's not the taste, but the texture, gentlemen. It requires discernment, much like recognizing the difference between a real artifact and a forged one. Have you licked your " three nails medallion " today? Careful, though, that may poison a pet theory. :wink:

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not the taste, but the texture, gentlemen. It requires discernment, much like recognizing the difference between a real artifact and a forged one. Have you licked your " three nails medallion " today? Careful, though, that may poison a pet theory. :wink:

Would your own expertise in texture discernment also allow the determination as to which genus of dino was responsible ?
Or perhaps your thoughts trend towards something more salacious than what might be found in a Jurassic era litter box ? :wink:

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Would your own expertise in texture discernment also allow the determination as to which genus of dino was responsible ?
Or perhaps your thoughts trend towards something more salacious than what might be found in a Jurassic era litter box ? :wink:

the only thing licking a rock will tell you if it is porous or not....if your tongue sticks it means it is porous and not suitable for cutting into gemstones...however if your tongue don't stick that means the rock has some density and could possibly be cut without crumbling...both chrysocolla and turquoise can be porous or dense

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the only thing licking a rock will tell you if it is porous or not....if your tongue sticks it means it is porous and not suitable for cutting into gemstones...however if your tongue don't stick that means the rock has some density and could possibly be cut without crumbling...both chrysocolla and turquoise can be porous or dense

Probly better to use chrysocolla or turquoise for a nose plug then, than a chunk of Raptor poop......right ?

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mike

Word gets around, don't it.
Seen any places all fenced off with barbed wire out there yet ?

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dino poop is dino poop, only the difference in size and shape of the sample and possible clues in situ might hint at further identification, without microscopic examination.

And you should get your mind out of that Jurassic litterbox, unless of course you meant siliceous. Siliceous would be a proper term for Chrysocolla, which is a copper/silicate, vs. Turquoise, which is a copper/phosphate. Licking Chrysocolla would find it 'tacky', while the same of Turquoise would find it 'slick'. Chrysocolla is very brittle, and fractures easier than Turquoise. There are other differences, but I won't belabor my point. There's nothing "salacious" about them...or dino dung for that matter.

Methinks you were just being phallacious... Richard. :icon_thumright:

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some minerals such as halite have a specificc taste.

Good to hear from ya Poncho. Probably quite a few have recognizable flavours, and turn up in the foods we eat too.
Salt would be the easiest to think of, for example. Also Sulfur, which has both taste and smell.

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dino poop is dino poop, only the difference in size and shape of the sample and possible clues in situ might hint at further identification, without microscopic examination.

And you should get your mind out of that Jurassic litterbox, unless of course you meant siliceous. Siliceous would be a proper term for Chrysocolla, which is a copper/silicate, vs. Turquoise, which is a copper/phosphate. Licking Chrysocolla would find it 'tacky', while the same of Turquoise would find it 'slick'. Chrysocolla is very brittle, and fractures easier than Turquoise. There are other differences, but I won't belabor my point. There's nothing "salacious" about them...or dino dung for that matter.

Richard.....who's Richard ?
I liked it better when I thought someone of the other gender was talkin dirty.

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008

i got a thousand bucks that says you are wrong...if you are local come on by and i'll prove it...i could always use a grand:headbang:

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i got a thousand bucks that says you are wrong...if you are local come on by and i'll prove it...i could always use a grand:headbang:

You're on, buddy. But you'll have to bring it to NC, I'm tied to my mine at the moment.
But drinks will be on me. It's the least I can do after taking your money. :occasion14:

Unless you meant my comments to Dick, and no amount of money could get me to touch that with a ten foot supercooled outdoor metal support structure.

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
You're on, buddy. But you'll have to bring it to NC, I'm tied to my mine at the moment.
But drinks will be on me. It's the least I can do after taking your money. :occasion14:

Unless you meant my comments to Dick, and no amount of money could get me to touch that with a ten foot supercooled outdoor metal support structure.

i wouldn't go to n.c. for a measly thou..but if you are ever out here come by and i'll give you an education on turquoise

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, after you get done with your education in Turquoise, come on down to my place. I won't be able to give you much of an education in geology or turquoise, but I'm sure there is something i could teach you......

JB

Some tact would be nice, but I warn you our esteemed tropical tramp has been trying for years with no success. I've been told I could try the patience of a saint. But I'm always willing to take instruction. :laughing7: :icon_pirat:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread