Maps

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dit

You are a challenge . I'm sure , I have to learn more from you than to teach you . Maybe I can give you an education on treasure maps .

I bet you could, Markmar. Would enjoy comparing notes over Agiorgitiko & a cigarette.

I haven't forgotten. :wink:

Shortfinger

Apr 7, 2015
Valley Center, CA/Yuma, AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some tact would be nice, but I warn you our esteemed tropical tramp has been trying for years with no success. I've been told I could try the patience of a saint. But I'm always willing to take instruction. :laughing7: :icon_pirat:

Well, I could try for tact. Not too sure i'm much of an expert there, either, but.....

JB

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Speaking of tact, my apologies for the distraction, gentlemen. Please carry on, I believe the subject was maps...wasn't it? Somewhere back there.....

:occasion14: :notworthy:

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a shot of a map I'm interested in.
It's a petroglyph, and one of several petro panels found along a trail at the south end of the mountains.
How many of you have seen it, and know where it is ?

southsite glyphs.jpg

Last edited:

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only other place where I have seen the symbol outlined in red, is on the Mapa de Cuauhtinchan 2.
Depicted in a similar setting....a pile of rocks.

symbol A.jpg

mapa de cuauhtinchan Symbol A location.jpg

Regards:SH.

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sorta similar, but not close enough for me to consider valid.
No tapered lower section....dot in a circle, instead of filled in like symbol on MC2....and arrow on top, also unlike what is shown on the MC2 illustration.
But there's also far more to all of this, than a single petroglyph.

Another shot of something also close enough for me to stay on a particular trail.
Handle bar mustaches are quite rare in old Aztec art.
Rare on rock formations like this one as well, in my experience.

100_0539 codice mustache man.jpg

Dr. David Carrasco believes this symbol on the MC2 represents another location within modern Mexico.
But it's a number of other visuals surrounding a particular place at the end of a trail out there which brings it all "home".
And are unmistakable in what they represent.

Last edited:

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting!

Yup.

Something else, though not found in this exact form on the MC2 and other related codices, so far as I have determined....

A sample of Aztec sculpture and a counterpart in stone with a similarly unusual form

DSCF1309 Coyote head rock.jpg

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Yup.

Something else, though not found in this exact form on the MC2 and other related codices, so far as I have determined....

A sample of Aztec sculpture and a counterpart in stone with a similarly unusual form

View attachment 1474944

Unusual picture, hiker, but before I'd label it "Aztec sculpture", I'd like to see several more hi-res views from various angles.

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The sculpted depiction of a coyote head (inset) is the "Aztec sculpture"....just to clear things up.
The rock, also only a head and facing down slope, and which I termed "counterpart....as in 'closely resembles' ".... may or may not be hand carved.
Exposed to weathering via wind and rain, freeze and thaw for 800+ years, objects sculpted from softer natural materials are often impossible to identify as to what or who they were originally meant to portray. While still easy to recognize and compare, any additional photos I could post would be of little use in determining man-made vs natural in this case. Nor could any additional photos...even of higher-res, be as accurately judged as could the real thing, even by the "expert" who previously declared....perhaps facetiously....that a certain item I once posted had been artificially aged in some way :laughing7:. Having discovered that and a number of other old things in the same place, and also knowing none have been treated by anything more than a soft brush and some bottled water, her observations reveal more about her abilities in this case, than anything else I have been able to ascertain to date re: the so-called "three nails medallion".
However, I digress.....
Artistic works are often inspired by the natural, with the product representing the artist's "take" on whatever he makes the effort to re-create. In most cases it doesn't exactly mirror the "model". The variety of Aztec (using a broad brush here) art and artistic style evident on codices both pre and post conquest, including the evolutionary effects often cited as a result of Spanish colonization and influence, seems to fall largely within that category.
As such, the context is more important to the big picture than anything hi-res or additional photos might show in this and possible future submissions I might choose to make. Sorry if that's not good enough for ya.

Last edited:

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The sculpted depiction of a coyote head (inset) is the "Aztec sculpture"....just to clear things up.
The rock, also only a head and facing down slope, and which I termed "counterpart....as in 'closely resembles' ".... may or may not be hand carved.
Exposed to weathering via wind and rain, freeze and thaw for 800+ years, objects sculpted from softer natural materials are often impossible to identify as to what or who they were originally meant to portray. While still easy to recognize and compare, any additional photos I could post would be of little use in determining man-made vs natural in this case. Nor could any additional photos...even of higher-res, be as accurately judged as could the real thing, even by the "expert" who previously declared....perhaps facetiously....that a certain item I once posted had been artificially aged in some way :laughing7:. Having discovered that and a number of other old things in the same place, and also knowing none have been treated by anything more than a soft brush and some bottled water, her observations reveal more about her abilities in this case, than anything else I have been able to ascertain to date re: the so-called "three nails medallion".
However, I digress.....
Artistic works are often inspired by the natural, with the product representing the artist's "take" on whatever he makes the effort to re-create. In most cases it doesn't exactly mirror the "model". The variety of Aztec (using a broad brush here) art and artistic style evident on codices both pre and post conquest, including the evolutionary effects often cited as a result of Spanish colonization and influence, seems to fall largely within that category.
As such, the context is more important to the big picture than anything hi-res or additional photos might show in this and possible future submissions I might choose to make. Sorry if that's not good enough for ya.

In layman's terms I believe that means you have Jack. I've been privy to some pretty exciting Jesus on a potato chip discoveries, too, but was not convinced of the theory that Jesus was the original founder of the Lay's corporation. Confirmation Bias can be a beech, it's clouded the vision of many a treasure hunter and conspiracy seeker alike. :wink:

I don't believe anyone contested the age of your medallion, just the marks upon it that were clearly of a more recent vintage. Therefore, as a representation of an ancient artifact, I would naturally be forced to call twiddly dinks. No offense intended, no suspect declared. Again, Confirmation Bias can be a troublesome little twitch of the ego. I'm sure the individuals responsible for all the false treasure marks and faked petros covering AZ, NM, UT, were aware of that shortcoming in their fellow man. Though not confined to those areas alone, the sheer number of them concentrated there bears noting and always suspect. Your opinion of my "expertise" matters not, but your mention of it speaks volumes as to your own. :icon_thumright:

Good luck in your journey, may it bear fruit and good fortune. :occasion14:

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
However, I digress.....

I guess you're saying that the rock, or where it was found, struck an "Aztec" chord within you. I understand that concept, as I've found "Mexican" looking carvings up north here too, indicating probable contact in the past. I say "probable", but it's been clearly established that trade items were exchanged for centuries between natives in North and Central America.

Quetzalcoatl-3.jpg

Totonteac-5.JPG

Last edited:

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
... Confirmation Bias can be a troublesome little twitch of the ego. I'm sure the individuals responsible for all the false treasure marks and faked petros covering AZ, NM, UT, were aware of that shortcoming in their fellow man. Though not confined to those areas alone, the sheer number of them concentrated there bears noting and always suspect. ...

Yeah, especially those carvings that shout "ORO"

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, especially those carvings that shout "ORO"

I could never have any faith in "ORO" markings or large cairns as guides to hidden valuables.
Makes no sense to me.

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess you're saying that the rock, or where it was found, struck an "Aztec" chord within you. I understand that concept, as I've found "Mexican" looking carvings up north here too, indicating probable contact in the past. I say "probable", but it's been clearly established that trade items were exchanged for centuries between natives in North and Central America.

View attachment 1475117

View attachment 1475118

Not just trade, sometimes moving goods further north and south than the original sources could, but the artistic influence it may have had on those who had contact with traders or their cargoes. Cacao and the vessels in which it was prepared comes to mind, since many were crafted locally for that pupose. Exotic bird feathers and how they were used, as well as turquoise and it's use in mosaics offering more examples of how population migration in both directions along trade networks could have distributed these things and more over such a large land area.
But actually I had first titled the rock "sheephead rock", intending to post it if a conversation about animal effigy-like rock formations popped up.
However, while researching other examples of Aztec art depicting the coyote that could be related to the codice detail I've posted below and IT'S rock counterpart, I came across the artifact photo shown in the inset.

chichimec.jpg

That a large depiction of a virtually identical scene as the one painted one above should exist as a counterpart within a mountain range in Arizona adds a great deal more to my own search and further grist for theory.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread