Detector(s) used
Silver UMax

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i remember last year Grogmug(i believe thats it) got fined,went to court and got a minor spanking

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got a spanking........ :thumbsup: Where do I get in line?

I never got to court but did get warned a few times about hunting on property that was recently removed from favored status. Many times if the police even bother to talk to you, that is all they want to do, warn you or just see what you've found. Lets face it, we don't really look dangerous out there digging away with a smile on our puss.

I did know a guy that got a ticket for leaving holes in a county park. He got stuck with court costs, fines, and had to do community service, plus pay to have the area he messed up reseeded.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I hunt public parks all the time (as long as they're not obvious historical landmarks) and don't have any problem. Now and then over the years, I get a "scram", but never have had tickets or fined.

I'm of the opinion that in the cases you read about someone getting a ticket or fine it's because they couldn't take a warning, or were leaving a mess, or were night-sneaking some sensitive place, etc... Yes, there may be cases where some cases (rare) where someone gets a ticket or fine in a non-posted innocuous non-historical monument type school or park, but that is the extreme rare exception, and they are always "thrown out". Ie.: just like now and then a motorist is roughed up by a rogue cop, for a simple tail-light infraction. Unfortunately, whenever these exceptions get posted, skittish people read them and assume it's "the norm", and run out and grovel at the desk of each city counsel and park's dept. desk, thinking they "need permission" or "just to be sure" etc... And the only thing that thinking does, IMHO, is raise flags for those desk-bound bureaucrats, is to draw attention to something they probably would never have given second thought to. That is, you sometimes get the easy answer "no" (because they envision geeks with shovels, or whatever), when in fact, you'd probably have just been ignored.

One time I had a gun pointed at me though :'( That was on a military base near me. It shook me and my wife up so much, that the next day, I went back on the base and made a complaint against that M.P. His superiors agreed that this guy was much too trigger/power happy. Turns out he'd had other complaints in his file, so an investigation was launched. Long story short, d/t my complaint, this guy will never carry a gun again, and was relegated to a desk job for the rest of his career :-*

Sandman, yeah, you could get a ticket for leaving holes uncovered (or poorly covered), but that is about "holes", not detecting in general.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When i was a younger AA not knowing anything about metal detecting i got busted in a National Park. They took our Md's and we both were fined $100 each. I wondered why i found $24 in 1 hour. Its really not worth hunting in spots where it might be illegal. The only thing i find in the National Park here is marijuana and its illegal to remove it from the park. ::)

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
As a newbie I was once informed and read the statues, etc of hunting federal land. Even if public. The fact I had no idea I was doing something unlawful. Even letting them know politely there wasn't any signs saying I couldn't anywhere. That's when the statues were read to me. I honestly think if I hadn't been in a military uniform I would of been arrested. I was told to put the detector on my trunk and leave. Which I politely said yes sir.

It was the first time I really hunted and did teach me to read and know the laws and the rules that pertaintto the area I am swinging at.

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gals, get the spanking machine ready for sandman,hes been naughty

bill gent

Sep 22, 2006
jersey city new jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
I'm fortunate enough in this big city to hunt anyplace but i do call the police to let them know I will be in the area that day perhaps a call like that may ease any problems and all calls are recorded so if you have any problems it can always be played they voiced no objections

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I stopped at the National Forest Service building in Bend,Or. yesterday and got a paper with guidelines for metal detecting.
Wish I had a scanner. Basically it says "Use of metal detectors by hobbyists to locate recent coins and artifacts is a legitimate recreational activity on NFS lands."
They go on to say basically no historical etc. things should be disturbed.
Lands under other federal, state or local jurisdiction may differ.

Greydigger

flyinguy

Apr 27, 2008
central new york
Detector(s) used
2 compass coin pros
better safe than sorry. i always get permission. i feel better. any one that digs holes and leaves them open deserves a ticket. it takes only a few seconds to be responsible and professional. same goes for dug trash.

Aug 1, 2003
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunting Sutters Mill...

That's right, one of my customers went up to gold country with his MXT after I told him to stay out of Yosemite and other Federal Sites.... ended up detecting at Sutters Mill and within minutes was confronted by a Federal Park Police and just got a lecture.. no gold though.

When confronted by a person in authority, remember to just avoid arguing with them because an attitude can cost you a citation. Also
watch what you say because in California, the State, County and Municipal have taken the Terrorist Threat Law and changed it to Criminal Threats to give it amore BROAD application. Becareful what you say.... its a FELONY.

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
DZNZ said:
Good morning!:coffee2:

Okay, so, I have heard from several ppl here that I should be very careful hunting in certain spots like public parks and, of course, historical sites. Now, I know that I may be kicked off a site, but has anyone here ever been arrested or fined? I am very curious to know . . .
Peace,
DZNZ
I thought Ricardo would have jumped in here and told you of his $250 fine when we were detecting a while back in a public park in Staten Island. The "Ranger" that cited him seemed intent on showing off to a trainee with her. We haven't heard from Ricardo as to what the outcome was and I hope he pipes in with the results.

I've been warned about 3 times by Rangers in Central Park to cease and desist; metal detecting is not outlawed, just the digging. One actually told me not to continue in Sheep Meadow but I could continue outside of Sheep Meadow! Normally, he/she had the right to ask me to stop or just cite me. It depends on the kind of day these people go through. Do you believe a Ranger telling me to just move to another location! Awesome and obviously a nice person. Once in a while you get a h__d__n like Ricardo did. Bummer.

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: above what I posted. Notice it said National Forests NOT National Parks.
Different places.
Also even some NFs are posted due to gross excavators. :(

DFX-SCOTT

Mar 18, 2008
Detector(s) used
WHITES DFX
YES STAY AWAY FROM HISTORICAL SITES UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER PERMISION,

PARK RANGERS, VERY BAD!!

PARK RANGER, ARE NOT A METAL DETECTORERS FREIND!!!

DONT DO DRUGS!!, DONT DRINK AND DRIVE!!, AND STAY AWAY FROM ANYTHING THAT HAS TO DO WITH A PARK RANGER!!!!

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know about Ricardo, but a friend of mine was fined in Staten Island, too - I think it was $125.00 (but not positive) - and I know which park that was - Stapleton Park.

He didn't lose any equipment or do any public service, though, and he did appeal it. (and lost).

B

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
DFX-SCOTT said:
YES STAY AWAY FROM HISTORICAL SITES UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER PERMISION,

PARK RANGERS, VERY BAD!!

PARK RANGER, ARE NOT A METAL DETECTORERS FREIND!!!

DONT DO DRUGS!!, DONT DRINK AND DRIVE!!, AND STAY AWAY FROM ANYTHING THAT HAS TO DO WITH A PARK RANGER!!!!
Yes to everything you said but I don't know about "drugs" after all certain doctors can give you a prescription for the ones that go up in smoke! :wav:

Say, doc...

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
mrs.oroblanco said:
I don't know about Ricardo, but a friend of mine was fined in Staten Island, too - I think it was $125.00 (but not positive) - and I know which park that was - Stapleton Park.

He didn't lose any equipment or do any public service, though, and he did appeal it. (and lost).

B
Thanks, I'll cross Stapleton off my list. Can you imagine if he had to do public service and that was digging up weeds!

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
Ok, Ricardo is jumping in here............I was fined $250 very recently at a Staten Island Park. Considering the overall value of the silver quarter I found on that plug as the officer moved in, I'd say I'm down about $247. Getting caught on Stapleton or any other park not on the list is a definate loss no matter how you present the case. As an update, I just got back from the hearing today. I could not read this judge's impression or overall view of my case as presented, so it is 50/50 in my opinion. I hope for at least a reduction.........like $50 or something. This way I can just go back to the park and piss the officer off by digging up the money to pay that fine. Now, if I loose completely, I'll just settle on the idea that I've dug more than enough clad from their parks to pay that fine..............I've never cashed in my clad, so I have like a 50 pound stash sitting around...........for the occassion I guess! Well over $300.

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Ricardo_NY1 said:
Ok, Ricardo is jumping in here............I was fined $250 very recently at a Staten Island Park. Considering the overall value of the silver quarter I found on that plug as the officer moved in, I'd say I'm down about $247. Getting caught on Stapleton or any other park not on the list is a definate loss no matter how you present the case. As an update, I just got back from the hearing today. I could not read this judge's impression or overall view of my case as presented, so it is 50/50 in my opinion. I hope for at least a reduction.........like $50 or something. This way I can just go back to the park and piss the officer off by digging up the money to pay that fine. Now, if I loose completely, I'll just settle on the idea that I've dug more than enough clad from their parks to pay that fine..............I've never cashed in my clad, so I have like a 50 pound stash sitting around...........for the occassion I guess! Well over $300.

Ok Ricardo...is metal detecting prohibited there? Are there signs posted? Was the fine for a city/park ordiance violation? What was the exact violation... $250 sounds like a ridiculous amount! Hopefully it will be reduced...to nothing...

I remember a few years back taking my kids fishing when they were about 6 and 2. Some park ranger jumps out of the bushes and ruins the fun of the day out saying "if you do not have a fishing permit, I will fine you $75 and take all your equipment". We had stopped at K-mart and got the proper fishing license that morning... so we were ok... I think enforcement is fine...but I think giving breaks and knowing when to enforce certain petty ordiances is more important..... Sounds like the fine is extremely excessive... I think a warning would have been the max for you if it was a first time warning...but there are those who never use common sense...always a few in the group...sounds like you ran into one of them... :(

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
Ricardo_NY1 said:
Do like they do in the movies and pay the fine, if fined, with some of that dirty, dug clad cash! If you can do with cents, so much the better. Are you representing yourself or are you being "handled" by an attorney?

Was that officer in court also? Or was her testimony accepted? What about the photos you took, are you being allowed to present them as your evidence? Inquisitive minds wanna know.

Silver Fox

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread