Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I metal detect mostly Florida beaches and sometimes I detect medals. Ok, I'm loosely defining a medal to include tokens and the like. Here are some examples I found in my last 2 beach hunts on the west coast of Florida.

The first medal is from the United States Los Angeles District Corps of Engineers, including California, Arizona, Nevada and Utah. The medal is 1 1/2" and weights 25.9g. It appears to be made of brass.

Los Angeles Token b.jpg

Los Angeles Token reverse.jpg

The second medal is a "State Command Sergeant Major" with "TNARNG" at the bottom of the sergeant stripes. The reverse shows the classic American eagle with "Volunteers" at the bottom. The medal is 1 1/2" and weights 21.85g. It appears to be made of brass.

Major Medal reverse.jpg

State Command Sergeant Major Medal.jpg

The third medal is from Hoffman and Hoffman (obverse) and is an advertisement piece for Tokens and provides an 800 phone number and Carmel California address. The medal measures 1 1/2" and weights 21.1g. It appears to be made of brass. It is interesting to note that the Hoffman and Hoffman medal has a coin reverse while all the other medals have a medal reverse. [ie When you flip a coin head-over-heals it will appear upright; thus coin reverse. If you flip a (typical) medal head-over-heels it will appear upside down; thus medal reverse.]

Hoffmand and Hoffman Obverse Medal.jpg

Hoffman and Hoffman medal.jpg

The forth medal shows a "Polacanthus" dinosaur on the obverse and advertisement on the reverse by Dino Coins. The medal is 1 1/8" and weights 6.94g. It appears to be made of brass.

Dino Coins Polacanthus.jpg

Third medal reverse Polacanthus.jpg

The final medal is from SeaWorld with a Busch Gardens reverse. It is 1" and weights 5.57g. It appears to be made of brass. After inspecting my MD finds I discovered that a coin I thought was a quarter was, in fact, another SeaWorld medal.

Sea World medal.jpg

SeaWorld reverse.jpg

It is rare to find the larger medals/tokens while metal detecting the beaches of Florida; at least I can't recall finding similar medals over the past 7 yrs of Winter detecting in Florida. I can't imagine anyone carrying an almost 1 oz piece in their pocket. Given the medals were found on the same beach, within 100 yrs of each other, leads me to imagine that all the large medals were from the same person and possibly skipped over the water for good luck or competition between souls. Any ways, I was lucky to discover all of these during a super moon low tide at the same beach over two days. Another super moon is coming at the end of January ... can't wait.

Attachments

• Los Angeles corps.jpg
    Los Angeles corps.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your 2nd find is a challenge coin.

OP
OP
L

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
OP
OP
L

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Hey Just looked up Challenge coins - how cool. I had no idea the Sergeant medal was a Challenge coin and carried in the pocket if challenged. Thus lost at the beach and found by a medal, I mean metal, detectorist. Thanks and appreciate the info...I'll also take better care of it!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had to earn a few of my coins. If you are at the bar and a fellow soldier shows up and slams his coin down, the one without buys the round, if all have one the challenger had to buy the round.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions