Metal Baby Cherubs Playing Mystery Find

Blueblood

Oct 10, 2013
Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a couple interesting relics on an old farm property that dates back to the dawn of the 1900's. However, the family is not completely sure how old the property is. I found a seated dime there this spring. So, what the heck is this hinged metal thing with baby cherubs playing and eating fruit? It's about five inches wide and four inches tall. Found an old lead soldier marked "England," and a "Special Officer" badge in the same area.
IMG_8696.JPG IMG_8697.JPG IMG_8701.JPG IMG_8702.JPG IMG_8704.JPG IMG_8705.JPG IMG_8706.JPG IMG_8707.JPG IMG_8708.JPG IMG_8709.JPG IMG_8710.JPG IMG_8711.JPG IMG_8713.JPG

Upvote 5
Aug 5, 2015
Detector(s) used
Entry level POS that I found in the thickets along a river.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are lots of gold and silver coins on the banner, but I hardly ever see metal babies posted anywhere on the forum. I feel sorry for the people who buy their first metal detector hoping to find metal babies. They are so rare.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The hinged metal "thing" looks like the top section from a beaded purse. These were popular in the late 1800s, up into the 1930s. I am pretty sure that's what it is, you can google them and see similar things.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are pretty cool finds. Sounds like and productive spot!!Thanks for sharing your finds

OP
OP
Blueblood

Blueblood

Oct 10, 2013
Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! I will google beaded purses for that era. I kinda thought that was a possibility and then I found some biscuit warmer devices from the Victorian era that had a hinge. Just found similar purses. It's a purse frame! Thanks Gunsil! I knew you guys would know!

Last edited:

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thanks! I will google beaded purses for that era. I kinda thought that was a possibility and then I found some biscuit warmer devices from the Victorian era that had a hinge. Just found similar purses. It's a purse frame! Thanks Gunsil! I knew you guys would know!

Now go back and find all the coins that were in it when it was buried! Strange find for sure. Thanks for posting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread