Metal detecting high schools

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Between the bleachers and the parking lot

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Age of facility a factor. An example ,if a gate had a ticket booth in the sixties and now booth and gate are gone. I,d be looking for pinch points in traffic patterns and lounging areas where people congregated. Concession stands, Shade ,seating ect. Sports fields too where activity generates a lost item. There,s usually a lot of bottle caps ,foil and pull tabs but there,s stuff in those areas for the patient diggers.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
releventchair nailed it, congregation points, and where people play hard ! The goodies are there!

Our high school is very large, unfortunately it is also "very" trashy, so it's slow going. I have to ground balance BEFORE I get on the property, because literally there's no "clear" spot to put the coil...at lest I haven't found one yet!
I take ibuprofen before I start because the chatter is constant. If you have trouble with target separation you may need a smaller coil to work the area. GL. HH!

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Assuming the school is old enough check out old aerial photo's of your town that includes the school you intend to hunt. Large open campuses often where utilized differently in the 20's and earlier. Open areas then where often used as parking lots for large community events held on the school grounds. Parking lots didn't become common till the late 30's. When a lot of vehicles showed up for an event they were parked on the grass. No EPA around then. You may also want to look for old photo's of the school often depicting such events. As an example I found a photo dated 1927 of an old high school built in 1914 in which the field by the school was packed with vehicles while people lined the edge watching children involved in a May Pole dance. There were 16 pole circles with 20 kids to each pole. Needless to say what today appears as an open field was used often as a car park then and the area people stood to observe while diminished some by sidewalk and road improvements, produced coins to the 1800's. Obviously this area in plain view of 100's of hunters for years was never touched. Bad for them, good for me and you, if you do the research.

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the great ideas. Glad to get info from others that have already been there.

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Will have to bring my sniper coil.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the field of play of the sports fields are good also not that much trash, but be respectful of the turf, leave no sign you were there. Where there is throwing action you will find rings that flew off in the act of throwing and if there are outdoor basketball courts jewelry and change is around the perimeter of the courts.As has been already stated bleachers and concession stands, if there are any trees around the sports fields those are really good spots as everyone likes the shady areas.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cant hunt schools here in Florida.

mtruxfan

May 5, 2013
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
BH QD2, Sea Hunter Mark 2, ACE 350, Garret ProPointer, SS Long Handle scoop
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ive had my best luck at schools around benches, under and around trees.

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On grassy hillsides (even steep ones) overlooking athletic fields.

Steep hillsides entice people without chairs to sit and watch the activities... and people sitting on the turf induces pocket spills.

I've tried it twice, and both times have been a coin bonanza.

Work from bottom to top.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread