Mexico Record Number & Destroy Tag???? SOLVED :) Thanks Everyone!

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Mexico Record Number & Destroy Tag???? SOLVED :) Thanks Everyone!

Hi, new here...my first post.

My hubby and I have just started in the metal detecting area and are having such a great time. I have nearly lost 10 lbs in the process :) It's all that walking and the up and downs digging in the ground LOL.

Anyways, we went to the oceanfront yesterday and hubby found this piece. Have no idea what it is. At first, I thought a dog tag until I read it. Research on the net...I thought maybe a luggage/baggage tag...but still stumped. Does anyone have any idea what this is and what it was used for? There is nothing on the backside.

Thanks for your help. Have enjoyed reading all the wonderful stories and seeing the finds ya'll have made. Hope we get as lucky someday. It's only a matter of time :)

Attachments

• IMG_0109b.jpg
    IMG_0109b.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 1,852

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Re: Mexico Record Number & Destroy Tag????

No clue, but some one here will nail it for you. Welcome to you both to the forum...Looking forward to your posts,finds and pics!

Upvote 0

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab

Good to see more locals joining the forum!

My guess is it is some kind of id tag, probably for some kind of aquatic animal. Thats purely speculative of course, but its my shot in the dark.

Upvote 0

jasonbo

Nov 1, 2005
Round Rock, Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace250 / Cibola

Interesting

Clone History Application
UWGC Name: fa1382
Identifier: pacs171bf1_fp03q210
Locus: fa1382
Individual: pacs171b
Superpool Well:
Subpool Well:
Isolatepool Well:
Phase: U
Chromosome: CEGS
Status Date: 02-May-05
Length:
Number of total contigs:
Contigs for current assembly (greater than 2K):

http://www.genome.washington.edu/in...il.cfm?Project=fa1382&ShowCloneReport=General

Could it be that the area your hunting contains cloned animals that have been or being studied an one of them lost the ID

???

Upvote 0

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab

justgeese said:
Looks like the old tags that came on car keys years ago...the number was used to referance a new key if it was needed...Just a guess and welcome
Don

Thats a good one! That is very probable!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

Thank you all, for your welcomes and the replies.....glad to be here. I know my hubby is like a little boy in a candy store....he is wishing to find his very own "mason jar of gold"....LOL

CryptoDave: hubbies family from the Outer Banks....and he still owns a piece of land in the Buxton area where a dig was done in 1998. They found that his property was once the center of the Croatan Indians and they also found a 400 yr old gold signet ring....among other artifacts. The small portion of land hubby now owns was once a larger portion owned by his 3rd gr grandfather :). By the way...they are Midgette's. I am sure you have heard that name being from Currituck :)

Jasonbo and Trk5capt.... I thought this might have something to do with an animal....but wasn't sure. Wow...cloning? In Va Beach? Hmmm....not sure as to where on the beach he found it. Just before the summer, the beach is filled with sand (you know, so the tourist have a place to sit and spend their money :)). He was detecting more mid section yesterday. I was closer to the water. But also, when trying to research this...was wondering if it was a baggage/luggage tag....I just love a good mystery!!!! It's the genealogist in me.....:)

Upvote 0

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab

ronandann said:
Thank you all, for your welcomes and the replies.....glad to be here. I know my hubby is like a little boy in a candy store....he is wishing to find his very own "mason jar of gold"....LOL

CryptoDave: hubbies family from the Outer Banks....and he still owns a piece of land in the Buxton area where a dig was done in 1998. They found that his property was once the center of the Croatan Indians and they also found a 400 yr old gold signet ring....among other artifacts. The small portion of land hubby now owns was once a larger portion owned by his 3rd gr grandfather :). By the way...they are Midgette's. I am sure you have heard that name being from Currituck :)

Jasonbo and Trk5capt.... I thought this might have something to do with an animal....but wasn't sure. Wow...cloning? In Va Beach? Hmmm....not sure as to where on the beach he found it. Just before the summer, the beach is filled with sand (you know, so the tourist have a place to sit and spend their money :)). He was detecting more mid section yesterday. I was closer to the water. But also, when trying to research this...was wondering if it was a baggage/luggage tag....I just love a good mystery!!!! It's the genealogist in me.....:)

Yeah, I've heard of the midgettes. I work for E R Midgett.

I live to joke about it and say stuff like the midgetts are big down here. lol

Is that the ring the professor almost got sued over? I do believe I know right about where that dig was.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

Cryptodave....ah yes, it sure was. Hubby was upset over the fact he had not returned the artifacts or his reports of that dig...but other ppl got involved and made it a big big issue...some who should have stayed out of it. And one person, whose name I shall refrain from mentioning...is trying to get my hubby to pretty much sign over all rights to them and only allow them to handle his affairs....HA!!! Dr. Phelps is a very nice man, in his 80's and retired. Alot has happened with him in the last few years and with all the hurricanes they have had in Florida...so you know....on his behalf....I don't think they should have attacked him they way they did. Hubby is a very easy going guy and Dr. Phelps is a very sweet guy!!! This was one of his best finds ever and he was very excited over it all....and honestly, can you blame him for his excitement???? But some items have been returned, the ring, which was the most important find of that dig. It all started when we went to see all the artifacts and nothing was there....it was very dissappointing. But things are working out now.

E.R. Midgett....I bet if I looked in my genealogy file, I will find him listed there....I have over 7,000 (just with that surname) in my genealogical files, not including the descendents whose mothers were and married and had kids with diff surnames).

As for jokes...when my son was about 6 mths old, I was in line at the grocery store and this woman commented on my son. I said THANK YOU...he's a MIDGETTE. She said, "Oh Dear, I am so sorry" ... I said, "Oh, that's ok...so's his Dad"....she was thinking short, not surname....LOL...didn't have the heart to tell her I was talking surname!!!

Interesting ideas on what this "TAG" is.....a friend of mine, whose family is of Mexican descent...she sent the photo to her Dad....I'll post if anything comes of it....

Upvote 0

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO

Welcome ronandann; Just a few thoughts on the tag.
Is the stamping an instruction, like record the number on the bottom and then destroy the tag?
Could Mexico on top and the stamping in English mean what ever it was attached to being sent from Mexico to the U.S.? Really love these mysteries, don't we.

Upvote 0

jasonbo

Nov 1, 2005
Round Rock, Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace250 / Cibola

Ok i think i have found it whoever said car keys seems to be right

I have the same problem but my key will not turn to the lock position. When I try to turn it left past off it just stops. Also how do you remove the ignition, the lock nut on the front of the dash is bigger than the "ears" that the key fits in. I see two small holes on the front but not sure how its done. One more question, my key looks new and has a small tag with it that says (Mexico record number & destroy tag) then four numbers that I assume is the code to make keys for my car. Where did this come from? Kurt

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1362333

Upvote 0
OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

I think we have a winner!! You win the bag of cookies!!!

Thanks Jason....for your research!!! Thanks everyone for helping me and hubby in finding out what this was or is. I knew we picked the right forum!!!!

Upvote 0

SFHunter

Feb 1, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

late reply to this tread, but I have a 1968 Oldsmobile 442 that has its original keys, and that tag is on the keyring. 442 were build in US.

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

justgeese said:
Looks like the old tags that came on car keys years ago...the number was used to referance a new key if it was needed...Just a guess and welcome
Don
good job

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jasonbo said:
Ok i think i have found it whoever said car keys seems to be right

I have the same problem but my key will not turn to the lock position. When I try to turn it left past off it just stops. Also how do you remove the ignition, the lock nut on the front of the dash is bigger than the "ears" that the key fits in. I see two small holes on the front but not sure how its done. One more question, my key looks new and has a small tag with it that says (Mexico record number & destroy tag) then four numbers that I assume is the code to make keys for my car. Where did this come from? Kurt

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1362333
One of our newbies "JUSTGEESE" found it......GREAT JOB....WE NEED GOOD SEARCHERS ...WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!!

Upvote 0

rock4u

May 8, 2009

I just bought a 1966 Ford Mustang and this same tag is on the keys. I believe they are the original keys. I know the car did not come from Mexico so I guess the tag is to make a duplicate key. Unsure why an American car company would have a Mexico tag on the keys? That in itself is a mystery to me any more info on this subject?

Upvote 0

IronSpike

Silver Member
Feb 24, 2009
NC
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Welcome to Tnet rock4u.

Can you post a pic of your tag? I'm afraid most of those tags have been destroyed ;D

Funny when you google 'record number and destroy tag' this thread actually pops up.

Don't see a green check mark on this thread nor an explanation on the referenced link ???

Upvote 0

IronSpike

Silver Member
Feb 24, 2009
NC
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

rock4u said:
I just bought a 1966 Ford Mustang and this same tag is on the keys. I believe they are the original keys. I know the car did not come from Mexico so I guess the tag is to make a duplicate key. Unsure why an American car company would have a Mexico tag on the keys? That in itself is a mystery to me any more info on this subject?

The item has to be removed in order for device to work. In the case of the 66 Mustang I guess the owner kept the item in a key ring? Below case an item for a Corvette?

Simliar removeable parts for other engine operated devices like a lawnmover.

Mexico is most likely were the item was produced.

Is your identical or similar?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread