Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen others like it described as being stamped with a cracked or broken die. They command premium prices from collectors. With the condiiton it is in, probably not as much as a really new shiney looking one. Monty

Upvote 0
OP
OP
blurr

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
Thanks for the replies. I don't know a whole lot about errors, and this could just be some kind of damage. The coin is worn pretty good, maybe not as bad as the picture (still trying to figure out my scanner). What your best guesses be. A worn die? It almost looks to me as if the crack is raised. Don't know if that helps or not, but there you go. Thanks again, and let me know if you have any other thoughts.

Upvote 0

SmokeEater

Greenie
Oct 25, 2005
Papillion, Nebraska
diving doc is correct! It is a defective planchet or blank, that was struck with good dies. It is called a lamination error. They are common, and do not have much of a premium value. Copper cents and nickel five cent coins are the most encountered pieces with lamination errors, but ALL denomination coins can have this problem. HH SmokeEater

Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for setting me straight Doc. Now, I have this pain in my side when..........! ;D ;D Monty

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions