woodtick

Tenderfoot
Oct 12, 2012
MN
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, BH Discovery 3300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello diggers! I found something that I don't think I can ever top and I'm hoping somebody in the know can help me know for sure. My GG Grandfather came here in 1847 and within months enlisted in the Mexican War in a volunteer regiment. 30+ years later he moved to a place and died 10 years later. This land is still in the family and our family is the only people to ever live there. When he was alive, there was only one neighbor close by and he was a Civil War Veteran. I was swinging the coil 2 weekends ago and I dug up a military button! I was completely floored......not something normal to dig up in Minnesota. The back says "Scovills & Co.. Extra" on it. I've seen conflicting info on this button as being Mexican War time period and Civil War time period. Being a family history buff too, this is as good as it gets for me if I can be certain of ownership. It was found about 20 yds behind the house. I also found a harmonica reed within a couple feet of this button. Makes me wonder if the family just chucked his things out the back when he died.

Attachments

• IMG_0060.JPG
    IMG_0060.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0063.JPG
    IMG_0063.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 121
Upvote 13

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice button. My book on backmarks states 1840-1850, and apparently still around for the Civil War.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; Here is a list of the Scovill BackMarks & Dates ok. I hope this helps. Second I believe yours is a Civil War Army Coat Button ok. Yours is Listed here as 1827 - 1840. That puts it squarely in the Civil War. The word EXTRA just refers to how much Gilt they put on the button ok. Yous has none left on it. Congrats. Nice Find. PEACE:RONB

Here is the List:

THE SCOVILL COMPANY: ABEL PORTER & CO 1802-1811 LEVENWORTH, HAYDEN & SCOVILL 1811-1827 J.M.L. & W.H. SCOVILL 1827-1840 SCOVILLS 1827-1840 SCOVILLS & CO. 1840-1850 SCOVILL MANUFACTURING CO.
1850-1960 THE FOLLOWING ARE VARIATIONS DATING FROM 1850-1865SCOVILL MG. CO. / SUPERFINE SCOVILL MG. CO. / WATURBURY CT. SCOVILL MF'G CO. WATURBURY CT. SCOVILL MF'G CO. WATURBURY SCOVILL MFG CO. WATURBURY CT

Last edited:

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
DETECTORS: XP Deus WS-4, Garrett AT Pro and Pro-Pointer, Fisher CZ-5
TOOLS: Piranha shovel & R85 Military digger, both by Predator Tools
ATTIRE: Red Head brand Knee-High Waterproof Snake Boots
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
very cool idea to detect that land. i was back where my grandparents lived in the same house for 50+ years. they are both dead and a gang banger lives there now. thought about offering him $20 to let me detect the yard next time I am in the area. would have to figure anything older i would find would be from the family. cool that you found the button and it would be even cooler if it was your grandfather's.

BTV Digger

Jul 24, 2014
Northern VT
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro; Fisher F2; Tesoro Silver UMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
General Service (standard issue c. 1854 - 1902) after which they went to the Great Seal buttons. Great find in great condition - congrats! So you could argue Civil War, or most likely Mexican/Indian wars as you allude with your GG Grandfather. Reference is Albert's GI-94. HH!

John

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice to have a piece of your family history!! Good job Thanks for sharing it!!!!

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes congratulations wonderful find incredible condition

sent from my computer by frantically poking at the keyboard with a single finger

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Twenty yards BEHIND the house,,
Might have fallen off a jacket while hanging on the clothesline .
Congrats on a good hunt.

$stinger

Nov 4, 2016
PA
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice Find! I enjoy rescuing relics from my grandparents homestead. The farm has been in the family since late 1800's so anything found can be tied back to a family member and that is always exciting. Hope you can recover more relics.

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are very lucky to detect such a property...congrats on the button!

OP
OP
W

woodtick

Tenderfoot
Oct 12, 2012
MN
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, BH Discovery 3300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's the latest I can conclude. The "Scovills & Co." buttons were made between 1840-1850. The difference is the 's' on the end which sets it apart. This time period works perfectly with the Mexican War (1846-1848). How lucky is that?! The lone question is whether or not these particular buttons were also worn by Civil War soldiers from Minnesota (his lone neighbor was a Civil War vet from a MN regiment). This is the only way it wouldn't be from my GG Grandfather and I think that is a very remote possibility. I guess the only way I'd ever know for sure is if I had dug him up and took the button off his coat but in light of that I'd say this is as close to a home run as I'll ever get with this. Can't help but wonder if something from beyond didn't make it happen. To pick that out of all the ferrous on a 160 acre farm....needle in a haystack!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread