Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ROAD TRIP.......Matt

05Duramax

Jan 6, 2008
ALASKA
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 LTD, Bounty Hunter Ultra Mag (camo), GARRETT PRO POINTER
WOW!! I worry when I have $1000.00 in coins in the truck going to the bank. Glad to hear he at least had help with the cleanup.

freddy williams

Oct 9, 2010
Alabama/ Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI-2500, Whites V3, xplorer XS Cortes & XLT Cibola Tesoro Tiger shark Now using a Xterra 705, Ace 350...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if the man ever found all his coins to bad he would pay a percentage to help find the rest.. LOL some people like that want you to spend the whole weekend for their benefit. But I probably would help him..

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
A thought on this:

There's actually some stories of this very type of thing happening in the decades before metal detectors. And thus, the persons were forced to look for their items by eyesite only. For example: There was a vending machine company that was robbed of sacks and sacks of coins (you know, those burlap type 50 lb bags full) .......... in the late 1950s, in a city near me. The cops were able to respond to the crime scene, just in time to see the vehicle fleeing the scene. So they started pursing. It ended in a chase, that led out of town, to a mountainous curvy road. The car lost control around a curve, and crashed down an embankment, scattering coins all over kingdom come. The only thing law enforcement (and the vending machine Co.) could do is rake and eyeball through the vegetation. After a week of such backbreaking work, they figured they'd found as much as they were ever going to.

The person telling me the above story, in the late 1970s, was a kid in the mid 1960s, when he learned of that story. He said that he and his friend would go to the site, and rake through the foilage, even though years had gone by by this time, and sift, rake, etc... through the roadside gravel. They could still get several dollars in change for their effort WITHOUT METAL DETECTORS. A few dollars in the mid '60s was still worth someone's time to work for I guess. Can you imagine what a detector could find at a site like this? It would be child's play to finish up finding the rest.

BARGuy

Jan 9, 2007
Out & About
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 Di Pro SL
Can't believe somebody with a collection that valuable would haul it/them around in a SUV with may-pop tires! Small safes are in the $100 range, & at least then it would all be in one location. Reckon how many coins got hy-graded during the cleanup?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is a similar story to this one where a collector was killed in a crash. When gathering up the scattered collection one of the "biggies", one of those "12 known examples" kind of coin, was put in the wrong spot in a display. Later, the coin was graded and what had been thought to be a rare coin turned out to be a dud. A family friend and his widow refused to believe he had purposely defrauded or misrepresented the coin. Turns out the rare one was in the "regular" collection instead of the special display.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread