Minelab Equinox 800 update 4kh vs Multi tested on deeps silver...

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vferrari should respond, he does the math better than I do. In general, a very low frequency will hit the silver harder and at depth. That low a frequency will miss small gold nuggets and brass, pewter and such. When you get to a much higher frequency, then you will start to pick up more gold, pewter, and nickels. With relic hunting you want to use a higher frequency. Hunting silver, a lower frequency. Its one reason some places have no silver but lots of other coins. Other times its because the silver wasn't there to begin with. Best course of action is to run the gamut of numerous frequencies on a site. Since the low frequencies were most all that was available for 40 years, that's why those old sites (sometimes) don't have the silver anymore but you can pop out a small gold ring on a higher frequency today.

Of course, most of the success is do to the operator, not the machine. I can nail a silver quarter very deep with my 74 khz machine.

No need for me to chime in, you "nailed" it, Smokey. Only I would say is that its not the machine or the operator that counts most, but site selection.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You mean like the one Confederate camp that's been giving it up, that I have been "rationing" for 3 years now, so we have somewhere to go this fall? :notworthy:

It's kinda sad when you remember using a BFO and 4-5KHZ machine as state of the art!

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You mean like the one Confederate camp that's been giving it up, that I have been "rationing" for 3 years now, so we have somewhere to go this fall? :notworthy:

It's kinda sad when you remember using a BFO and 4-5KHZ machine as state of the art!

Yeah, that. You've got some incredible permissions that have resulted in me checking off several bucket list finds. :notworthy:

20200222_085032.jpg

Even a hack like me can have success at a Smokey Site (Detectors used: Equinox/Deus/Orx)

Last edited:

Sandscoopdan

May 19, 2012
Cypress,Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Extreme scoop
Boat: 20ft Four Winns w/92 V8 5.0L Cobra Mustang engine
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Calabash,
That was a great test evaluation of the new update! I subscribed to your YouTube channel. Looking forward to watching more of your videos!

PowerDubs

Oct 6, 2015
NWNJ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't think I'll be hunting in 4K anytime soon. EVERYthing has a high tone! Noise fatigue set in very quickly.

This was my experience as well. I went to my yard in my test garden- and sure 4k sounded off with a more solid high tone.

But...

I then proceeded out to my yard, got good solid high tone and # and dug square nails.. more than one. So I stopped as it was hot and I was annoyed.

I then went to a local school yard.... tried 4k again- same high tone and id on everything... even pull rings and bottle caps.

Went back to multi- pulled a handful of change and left the junk behind..

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I then went to a local school yard.... tried 4k again- same high tone and id on everything... even pull rings and bottle caps.

Went back to multi- pulled a handful of change and left the junk behind..

Yes, 4k up averages but I was not getting the same high tone and ID on EVERYTHING. I use 50 tones so stuff doesn't just get pushed into the high tone bin like on 5 tones. And, yes, nails are going to false easier because there is NO IRON BIAS when operating single frequency. Definitely, not a full time search mode setting, but I may be saving it in the User Profile slot to use as a target interrogation mode for iffy signals.

PowerDubs

Oct 6, 2015
NWNJ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The 50 tone comment is interesting... might need to try that and see what I think.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
with your test on the deep silver dime multi has it bouncing around 5-14 and sounding like half the trash I encounter which is civil war relic hunting I often dicrim out. But in 4 kHz you get a clean tone and solid 2 digit 35-36 silver which in multi mode on my 800 comes up 26-27. Huge improvement. I will dig the 4kHz clean sound with 35-36 all day long. Thanks Calabash, love your test garden and you making this 4kHz test. It is hot in Atlanta I don't even want to do a test in my test garden.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well that clinches it. In stead of hours and hours of Civil War research, I will just hire a detective to find V's and Smokeky's hunting vehicles and have him put a GPS tracking device on both vehicles. Presto, great Civil War hunt sites.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool! I just watched a spy movie! Game on!!!:laughing7: Now you know why people keep asking to go with me. I haven't been but one place in weeks.

Butler

Feb 19, 2009
Northern Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac; X-1 Probe; Brain!
Thank you Calabash. I haven't loaded this up yet but it was nice to see it in action. I am fairly sure I will using 4k after I've gotten a deep signal in multi/50 tone to get a better idea of the target. Another tool in the shed so to speak. As a long time Etrac user I do like that high tone A LOT!!! Thanks again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread