Minelab Musketeer

sniper19612003

Mar 9, 2005
North East Pennsylvainia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer/ White's MXT
I picked up a Minelab Musketeer at a good price and I never thought it would work as good as it does.
I have pulled wheat pennies, merc. dimes, and all other kinds of coins and some jewlery
down as far as 8 to 10 inches deep.
I don't know about anyone else but this is unreal.
If anyone has used one or owns one, I would like to hear what they think of the
Musketeer. Could I have gotton one that is really unique?

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No its the norm. Minelab shot themselves in the foot saying how good multifrequency is so the Musketeer never got the recognition it should have. I've got sites where the Musky works far better than my Sovereign....quicker in use as well !

R

rvbvetter

I agree with U.K. Brian "It's the norm"
I've got one and like you, think it's a great detector. It's very quick and has excellent depth. It's usually been knocked because of it's weight, but it's never been a problem to me. I wouldn't of minded if the tone had been a little less high pitch. But even that doesn't really bother me.
The performance you get for the price. I think it's a really over looked detector.
I liked it so much I left a review of it on www.Metaldetectorreviews.net Under the heading " So impressed, I bought two!! " HH

Bill(de)

Feb 18, 2005
I totally agree with the opinions on the Minelab Advantage. It is hands down , one of the best detectors available. Using the Musky with the 7.25" will achieve outstanding depths in both sweet soils and mineralized soils. Target separation is superb and it is great at pulling good targets close to iron.

I have no problem with audio response and love the way it checks off targets at the edge of disc rejection and even bottlecaps aren't too difficult to ID with a quick edge pass as Monte calls it, and the sweet sound of deeper targets almost tells you how deep without a meter.

I have a number of detectors including a Sov GT and agree the Advantage is better inland than the GT.
Have an X Terra 50 and still prefer the Musky at many sites, but if Minelab ever offers a good small coil for the X50 i may have a choice to make at trashy sites. HH Bill

UncleTom

Jun 3, 2006
SEABROOK TEXAS
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I and II, CTX-3030, Equinox 600, X-terra 70,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How is the Musketeer on wet beach sand?

R

rvbvetter

Never tried mine on the beach. But try the link I left above. Perhaps one of the reviews mentions the beach.
If not go to Kellyco detectors.com and read their field tests. I'm sure they tested it on the beach. HH

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It should work fine on a beach. For wet salt sand, you'll need to re-ground balance in the wet sand and stay there. Move bac t dry sand you should re-balance. You shouldn't get the box wet.

Visit the field test site http://www.losttreasure.com/fieldtests/

HH,
Sandman

Ranger121

Apr 7, 2006
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites Amphibian II
Bounty Hunter
When I went to the little home based detector store in Tucson to buy my first machine, I told the old guy "give me something easy to operate, around $300-400, not made anywhere in Asia". He said "I've got an Australian Minelab Musketeer on special cause it's been discontinued, for $300. It's a pretty good unit".
"OK," says I. My first trip to the local park, I'm kicking at something that beeped in the sawdust under the monkey bars, and kick out a $100 bill. The Musketeer is now in Hawaii with me and, altho I've got 2 other machines, I use it almost daily in parks, on the beach in wet and dry sand, and in the old WWII training areas which are all over Maui.
It's a really good machine overall. Only quality problems are: 1. The metal contacts for the battery pack broke off on both the pack itself and the electronic box within 12 hours of use. Coulda returned it for warranty repair but didn't want to lose beach time, so soldered up a repair myself. 2. It is heavy . 3. The handle to box mounting arrangement is a little feeble, a slight bump in the wrong spot causes it to fall off. Minor.
A great detector tho, finds it all. Once you learn the various tones you become able to accurately predict depth of target and what you're about to dig,,,,,mostly. Except for those damn pulltabs !

D

DemonOutlaw

I have had one for 3 years now and It should have came with a bigger shovel ;D
the deppest target I dug I can`t say noone would believe me
the smallest was a sliver toothfilling in a park

Eddy1H

Dec 17, 2006
Rockwall Texas
Detector(s) used
Cz20, Cz6a, 1212X, Minelab, Muskateer Advantage Whites, XLT, Surf PI, Garrett TR
The Musketeer is one of my favorite detectors, it goes deep separates well and is built great,
Eddy

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought a used one in 2003 to see if detecting was something I might enjoy. Had plans of "upgrading" if it was. It is, but I have yet to but a second or replacement. Got a set of Black Widow headphones early on and a custom A.Trematerra shovel, but I'm still swinging the Advantage. Never had the box seperate from the handle when bumped(?) and my NiMH battery is holding up very well. It is a little heavy compared to more modern units.

I still dig or would prefer the choice on most hits so the masks and filters of the latest units aren't tempting me. It does love foil, but I have learned to immediately "cross" hits and a squawk, squeek, or constant sound is iffy in high trash areas whereas the round sounds and vowels are usually coins. For relics in "all metal" there probably is nothing in it's range for less that 2-1/2X what they cost new.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions