Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know Kev.
I drive a '90 jimmy

& there are GMC parts that Are not available.

Used, rebuilt, or aftermarket only.
Engine Blocks ? Transmissions I Think ?

I'm sure this is the case with Many Brands.

But of course with Cars there are Repair Services available
Nationally.

a Metal detector Manufacturer & Dealers
cannot afford Service Centers every so many
miles apart.

I suppose if you could find another crashed, used Unit,
you could find somone to take the Board out & put it
in Old Faithfull. Maybe even Minelab. :wink:
unless their Service people are new & don't
have training on Old units :dontknow:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not all componets on all PCB are compatible. If your so sure they are compatible then pull out the PCB for an XS and compare it to the PCB for a new Explorer SE PRO and see just how alike they are.....Just because they are both Explorer's doesn't make them compatible, just like the processor or hardware for one PC motherboard is not necessarily compatible on other similar PC motherboards.....

I have had no problem dealing with Minelab, service or otherwise in the 6 years I have owned ML, and I have been able to help other members deal with Minelab for service problems with no problems....

They are still servicing old units, they just will not do repair work on XS if it is a major PCB or componet issue........11 years is a long time to support a product..... The average marriage in the USA doesn't last that long and it cost you a heck of a lot more.....LOL

I also have built PCs, you want to talk about stuff going out of warranty quickly and not being supported.... Comparing a car to a detector is apples to oranges, compare a PC to a detector....

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
Treasure_Hunter said:
Not all componets on all PCB are compatible. If your so sure they are compatible then pull out the PCB for an XS and compare it to the PCB for a new Explorer SE PRO and see just how alike they are.....Just because they are both Explorer's doesn't make them compatible, just like the processor or hardware for one PC motherboard is not necessarily compatible on other similar PC motherboards.....

I have had no problem dealing with Minelab, service or otherwise in the 6 years I have owned ML, and I have been able to help other members deal with Minelab for service problems with no problems....

They are still servicing old units, they just will not do repair work on XS if it is a major PCB or componet issue........11 years is a long time to support a product..... The average marriage in the USA doesn't last that long and it cost you a heck of a lot more.....LO
I also have built PCs, you want to talk about stuff going out of warranty quickly and not being supported.... Comparing a car to a detector is apples to oranges, compare a PC to a detector....

My point was-all explorers boards the same by size and very similar, explorers XS and 2 boards made better quality like SE or SE pro--because se and SEpro are the same. second on explorer se and SE PRo the same boards like on Quatro, just a bit different program. can you believe it? If you buy detector for 1000$ that have the same control panel case and push button panel and after 10 years they dont repaire them? very strange logic if boards size the same, or change boards for 400$ or more with screen..... boards alone cost max 50$ and one hour to change if you slow. total 100$, but not 400$ without screen board.

Attachments

• minelab explorer se-quatro.jpg
    minelab explorer se-quatro.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 2,053
  • minelab explorer -SE -Quatro.jpg
    minelab explorer -SE -Quatro.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 2,820

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boards being the same size doesn't mean they are compatible......Just because the motherboard is the same size doesn't mean it is compatible between a unit 11 years old and one 2 years old... PC motherboards have the same problem, try swapping out a old bad motherboard with a different motherboard that is new to repair a pc and find out how much isn't compatible with it.........

For the older detectors they will repair parts that share the same components as the newer detectors on the market (shafts, pots etc.); if they have them in stock and are compatible but I am sure simular components are limited.......

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
Treasure_Hunter said:
Boards being the same size doesn't mean they are compatible......Just because the motherboard is the same size doesn't mean it is compatible between a unit 11 years old and one 2 years old... PC motherboards have the same problem, try swapping out a old bad motherboard with a different motherboard that is new to repair a pc and find out how much isn't compatible with it.........

For the older detectors they will repair parts that share the same components as the newer detectors on the market (shafts, pots etc.); if they have them in stock and are compatible but I am sure simular components are limited.......

Dont compare explorers to computers,all explorers are the same 1999 technology, and always where 1000$ new. take out explorer se guts and put xs and its will work, the same with 2, minelab all the time did the same service-changing boards, so what is now different? you can send them xs and get se, but again my point is not cost 400$ plus screen board. I have explorers that minelab did not serviced,but I did. why not to put for user new boards from se and not scare people about expiring XS service??? :dontknow:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stasys said:
Treasure_Hunter said:

Dont compare explorers to computers,all explorers are the same 1999 technology, and always where 1000$ new. take out explorer se guts and put xs and its will work, the same with 2, minelab all the time did the same service-changing boards, so what is now different? you can send them xs and get se, but again my point is not cost 400$ plus screen board. I have explorers that minelab did not serviced,but I did. why not to put for user new boards from se and not scare people about expiring XS service??? :dontknow:

stasys said:
Treasure_Hunter said:

Technology may be the same but the componets are not.... All a metal detector is is a computer, especially today..... Yes the shell is the same, if someone wants to swap the guts with a newer model they can do it on their own....

I imagine it has to do the warranty, which is why Minelab stop doing mods..... People were ordering custom mods and when there was an issue they claimed the problem was Minelabs, some people sent their excals in complaining Minelab did the mod, but there was no paperwork to prove Minelab did it.....Minelab fixed problem that by saying no more custom mods done by them..

I have no problem with it myself, if I have a detector that ML says they will no longer do repair work on it I will sell it and buy something else, or fix it myself......

What you are saying is they should just pull the guts out of the XS in question and replace it with the cuts from an SE PRO, why would they do that, it makes no sense business wise at all... That is like sending an 11 year old Sony TV cabinet back to SONY and telling them you want the latest TV installed in it...... What do you think they will tell you?.....That is after they stop laughing at you......

Of course if you take the guts out of an XS and put the guts of a SE PRO in it will work, all you are keeping is the shell of the detector and coil, they do that then they should charge you the cost of a new Explorer minus the coil....

Microsoft doesn't support XP below SP3, and that is about to end, I think in 2012 they stop supporting XP SP3 and XP is younger then the Explorer XS...

IMPO it is unrealeastic that some people expect Minelab to support a detector forever, I would rather Minelab spend the money on research for future detectors......... I want to see a new salt water machine, it is about time for a new one too.......Maybe this year....

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If Minelab had a Lifetime No Limits Warranty.

I'd say Yes then they need to repair or Replace
with Equal or Greater Value.

This is why all Warantees are Limited.

Even Lifetime Warrantees Have Limits.

Maybe Craftsman needs to make Detectors
out of Wrenches :laughing7:

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
I dont have with it problem too :laughing7:, I repare them my self and from 1999 dont see any technological step, this is why they sell the same XS or 2 but call it SE PRO? Possibly PRO was added after 10years on work. all that they made they did a bit cheaper boards and different menu. I will try just for experiment connect se with 2 or XS, because they all have the same pin connections. My suggestion for new Water detector, buy explorer or etrac and make waterproof case for control panel. good luck :hello:

Shambler

Aug 18, 2008
Under the Trees
Of course they swap the board. Try to solder a component on one of those boards and see what happens - 2 hours for a guy to troubleshoot to the component level, an hour to remove and attach a new component (assuming it's not a solder run that is the problem), and IF (IF IF) you didn't damage another component with your soldering iron or while handling the board, AND only if the reported problem is repeatable and predictable - you MIGHT have a repaired machine. The amount of money the market supports for a guy that can do that kind of work is considerably higher than the dude that just changes out boards. In the end, it makes perfect financial and practical sense to just swap it out. I think there's a huge misunderstanding amongst the older crowd with modern electronics. The kind of detector that could be troubleshot and repaired on the bench would weigh 20 lbs (and might have tubes!).

The 7 year comment above is the same for the medical industry. Once you announce you're no longer producing/supporting (end of life) a product, you customarily support it for 7 years. Then - that's it - buy something new or go to a third party repair shop.

I'm sure all the whiners that are getting beaten down by THE MAN (aka Minelab) could run Minelab much better.... BUT they're not. Funny how that works....

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
stasys said:
I dont have with it problem too :laughing7:, I repare them my self and from 1999 dont see any technological step, this is why they sell the same XS or 2 but call it SE PRO? Possibly PRO was added after 10years on work. all that they made they did a bit cheaper boards and different menu. I will try just for experiment connect se with 2 or XS, because they all have the same pin connections. My suggestion for new Water detector, buy explorer or etrac and make waterproof case for control panel. good luck :hello:
I have been telling them for years that all the Explorers are the same .............. But as we all know they don't believe me........... I like Minelab but my head is not in the sand or up my butt................ they change the name and as you show ..... Made with cheaper boards and then charge you more...........

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Shambler said:
Of course they swap the board. Try to solder a component on one of those boards and see what happens - 2 hours for a guy to troubleshoot to the component level, an hour to remove and attach a new component (assuming it's not a solder run that is the problem), and IF (IF IF) you didn't damage another component with your soldering iron or while handling the board, AND only if the reported problem is repeatable and predictable - you MIGHT have a repaired machine. The amount of money the market supports for a guy that can do that kind of work is considerably higher than the dude that just changes out boards. In the end, it makes perfect financial and practical sense to just swap it out. I think there's a huge misunderstanding amongst the older crowd with modern electronics. The kind of detector that could be troubleshot and repaired on the bench would weigh 20 lbs (and might have tubes!).

The 7 year comment above is the same for the medical industry. Once you announce you're no longer producing/supporting (end of life) a product, you customarily support it for 7 years. Then - that's it - buy something new or go to a third party repair shop.

I'm sure all they whiners that are getting beaten down by THE MAN (aka Minelab) could run Minelab much better.... BUT they're not. Funny how that works with victims of conspiracy theories.
Look at it this way...... no matter were i worked or what company i went to..... The workers at all those places could do it better......................... Ever place 100% of the places the workers all knew more than management .... And they all could run the company better than management......................... Or they thought they did or could...........But not so.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread