Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
The coil and the control box each have a micro processor, when the detector is turned on they each connect to each other for the purpose of transmitting imformation. They are like 2 computers. When the detector locates a target the coil processor sends the imfo to the control box processor,then the operator scrolls through the various icons trying to id the most probable target. Not bad for a $300/dollar detector.More expensive tech is being trickled down do to more sophisticated tech replacing it.
So when you get a target hit the icon does not give you a idea of what you have ... And now that you got a hit you have to scroll through all the target icons and try to guess what the target is that you have ?.. Seems like a lot of time involved to ID a target.. And what would you blue tooth on the detector for ? It is already on my phone ..

Last edited:

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So when you get a target hit the icon does not give you a idea of what you have ... And now that you got a hit you have to scroll through all the target icons and try to guess what the target is that you have ?.. Seems like a lot of time involved to ID a target..

Ok keppy, I just re-read that post & I totally agree. IF that is how it actually works, it sounds like a real PITA have to scroll through icons everytime you get a target. Reminds me of having to thumb the disc knob on my Vaquero. I got tired of that real quick!

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your makeing a mountain out of a mo-hill, only 4-5 ids, takes seconds,not minutes.

Really? Try scrolling through icons (or thumbing knobs) when in a trash filled site with 10 targets or more per swing. I HAVE done that with the Vaquero (for over a year), and IMO it was no fun, and took valuable time that could be used recovering the target. That seems a huge waste of time and very inconvenient. I prefer my X-Terra or F2. I hit a target, the target beeps a tone that corresponds to what the target may be, a number is on the display at the same time as the beep. I pull out my digger, recover target & move on without ever having to touch the controls. Simple stuff....

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No argument, new and differant technology, I respect your points, just disagree.

Yep, to each his own! Just stating my personal experience with having to use a control/knob on every target. I get frustrated enough detecting so I try to make it as simple as possible, lol

bigboar

Mar 3, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer, Minelab Go-Find 40
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
found a new video.....first hunt.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The non-english speaker doesn't help, but I have a feeling that it wouldnt matter because he doesnt seem to be explaining anything, just showing it find a couple shallow targets.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whats a mo-hill?

Thanks, I was thinking the same thing. Also correct on the vid jason! Kind of a waste of 3 minutes. It shows nothing about how the machine operates

bigboar

Mar 3, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer, Minelab Go-Find 40
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was told the user in the comments named slow&low was the one operating it. I dont know if thats true or not but that user posted this...

"Thats all it is really, a starter machine, for a beginner or kids just getting into the game, it would be ok to keep in the boot of your car or take on trips away with family to have a potter about, but its not a serious detector and wouldnt compete even against midrange machines. The full opinion on the machine will be shown soon."

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was told the user in the comments named slow&low was the one operating it. I dont know if thats true or not but that user posted this...

"Thats all it is really, a starter machine, for a beginner or kids just getting into the game, it would be ok to keep in the boot of your car or take on trips away with family to have a potter about, but its not a serious detector and wouldnt compete even against midrange machines. The full opinion on the machine will be shown soon."

That was my first impression, an entry level beginner detector. It seems to me that with all the technology incorporated, it it could not be so inexpensive and still be competetive performance wise with others in the price range. The young kid in the online brochure is kind of a clue as to the intended market as well.

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No. The coils are. Portability is the huge plus. I am amazed that minelab have entered into the
sector that Garrets have mopped the floor with for six full years.

If it was waterproof, one model, they could have gone after all the people that are thinking of the atpro-
a huge market that Garrete will have into the forseeable.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No. The coils are. Portability is the huge plus. I am amazed that minelab have entered into the
sector that Garrets have mopped the floor with for six full years.

If it was waterproof, one model, they could have gone after all the people that are thinking of the atpro-
a huge market that Garrete will have into the forseeable.
Garrett is mopping the floor? Ever hear of a little company called First Texas?

Last edited:

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Its seems somewhat thought out.... entry level?, maybe on T net, but $3 or 4 hundred dollars is a lot of money, a whole lot of money....
A really awesome blue tooth equipped 60 amp touch screen car stereo with a myriad of additional built in miracle technology is available for $175 all day long.......

Your still on this kick? Lol I certainly would say 300-400 bucks is an inexpensive machine...
I was just looking at those cheap $175ish touchscreen radios and I realized that you get what you pay for. Their cheap but do work...for a while.

Sent from a empty soda can!

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
found a new video.....first hunt.

Maybe I was hearing things, but I cranked the audio on that video, and I thought I heard a lot of cheap plastic rattling. My hope is that this thing is built solid, and not prone to breaking/cracking.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Maybe I was hearing things, but I cranked the audio on that video, and I thought I heard a lot of cheap plastic rattling. My hope is that this thing is built solid, and not prone to breaking/cracking.

I didn't notice much plastic rattling. I think it was just background noise.

Sent from a empty soda can!

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems some are missing the fact that these are entry level detectors and are expecting a lot . When you look at entry level they appear to be way ahead of the curve.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread