dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cute. Not for me, though. Anyone notice the dirt collecting small holes on the bottom of the coil? Not the best design. IMO.

View attachment 1134215

I think that's the point most are missing, it isn't meant for most on a forum such as this. It's meant for a beginner and I'll bet it holds it own in that market. I don't see guys with a lot of experience buying these or any other entry level detectors.

whitjake

Oct 12, 2013
Warren, Pa
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold bug 2, fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that's the point most are missing, it isn't meant for most on a forum such as this. It's meant for a beginner and I'll bet it holds it own in that market. I don't see guys with a lot of experience buying these or any other entry level detectors.

If the crossbeams with all the holes on them do not play an important part other than support I would just fill them with liquid rubber or something

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I agree. It's a little too "yuppie" for me with the iPhone apps, and the 60 has a holder for your phone. Last thing I want while detecting is my phone hangin' around. But I can see how some would take advantage of the newness of features.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I bet a lot of ones on Tnet and other treasure forums buy a 20 , 40 ,or 60 i have a Sovereign and have been using Sovereigns since Minelab put the first one out in the early 90's and have other Minelab's but many times my go to detector is my….ACE 250 … i really like that little detector.. So it could be i will really like the Go Find 60… And i do some serious detecting at times And i will say i have found some nice finds with what some call beginner detectors …… To me they all find good items no matter what price you pay for them.. But most can find with a low cost detector what they can find with what they call a top o the line detector if they are good at there detecting skills...

Last edited:

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And i will say i have found some nice finds with what some call beginner detectors …… To me they all find good items no matter what price you pay for them.. But most can find with a low cost detector what they can find with what they call a top o the line detector if they are good at there detecting skills...

As they say, it has more to do with location and skill, then equipment.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet a lot of ones on Tnet and other treasure forums buy a 20 , 40 ,or 60 i have a Sovereign and have been using Sovereigns since Minelab put the first one out in the early 90's and have other Minelab's but many times my go to detector is my….ACE 250 … i really like that little detector.. So it could be i will really like the Go Find 60… And i do some serious detecting at times And i will say i have found some nice finds with what some call beginner detectors …… To me they all find good items no matter what price you pay for them.. But most can find with a low cost detector what they can find with what they call a top o the line detector if they are good at there detecting skills...

Keppy, I feel the same way about my F2! I never feel like I am missing much with the F2 compared to my more expensive detectors.

Last edited:

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I got a guy chomping at the bit to get into the hobby. I recommended an F2 but told him to hold off until the reviews start coming in for the GoFind. I would really like him to get a GoFind (so I can check it out!) but seems the reviews I have seen so far avoid showing the depth. Time will tell but hope soon.

DannyB.

Jan 20, 2015
Washington/Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Tesoro Silver UMax
Fisher 1265x
Fisher F75 SE LTD
Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So far.. I don't think the user vids are doing it any justice. I think it's pretty cool and I wouldn't mind having one.

I'll probably wait for a few more vids.

littlehugger

Nov 23, 2005
I agree that you can do well with a low price detector. I picked one up recently for $45, brand new, and was very impressed. It just seems as if Minelab did not think this through, and the Go-Find is a one-trick pony, ala it collapses very compactly.
`I think there is a market for a "trunk detector" that is about the performance level of an F2, Ace 250, etc, but is water resistant, fold like the Go-Find, and works in a wide temp range that you would see in a car trunk.
Right now, the closest to this is the Fisher utility detectors, M66, etc. Weather resistant, very wide temperature range. But, being utility detectors, have little in the way of features, and not nearly as compact as the Go-Find.
You and I on this site understand, and know what we want. My wish is a combo of the Fisher M66 and the Go-Find, cheaply priced.
There is a saying among the self-defense crowd when arguing the balance between power and size for a carry gun. You can advocate hand-cannons all day, but ultimately, the first rule in a gunfight is, "Have a gun"
Same with detectors. I am not comfortable at the idea of a $1000 Infinium, or $2000 ATX/CTX in my trunk, let alone some of the eceven pricier Minelabs. Extremes of temps and possibility of theft. But my Fisher M66 cost less than $150 and will handle most of that.
Minelabs short-sightedness might eventually backfire, when all these newbies, you know, the ones who post pics of their food on Facebook? The ones who take 37 pics when they go to the bathroom? Yeah, when their new $200 Minelab cooks in the trunk and stops working. Or gets soaked in the rain.
They don't have the depth of understanding of detecting hobbyists, and are likely to be impulse buyers of the shiny new toy. They will make assumptions we would not. Given the target buyer, Minelab should have made the Go-Find sturdier and more idiot proof, just out of common sense. They also could have captured a significant hobbyist market. The 2nd detector, back-up detector, trunk detector market.

littlehugger

Nov 23, 2005
Silver,

Minelab hasn't made a "DUD" Detector that I know of. I have had SEVERAL Minelabs. Never had one that gave me any problems that weren't "operator issues"....... and I am not easy on detectors. My Excals went in salt water as well as beaches. I don't coinshoot in parks. I detect in the desert and in the mountains.

Garrett for a loooong time has been my favorite "entry level" detector with the ACE 150, 250, 350. Problem is, they sat on their respective butts. The only company out there pushing the metal detecting technology envelope has been Minelab.

Mike
Gollum, can you show me where Minelab is pushing the envelope?
Years ago, I had both the Excalibur and the Explorer, which were top of the line then. Minelab really seemed to have something in their multi frequency tech. Even Fisher came out with the dual-freq CZ line.
The first of my 3 sons was born then, and I sold off my Minelabs. Now it seems Minelab is aiming for the mass market with the single freq X-Terra and now the Go-Find. But new tech?
Minelab did a great job with the CTX, but its strong points are features, such as wireless headset, GPS, etc. But, same old Minelab tech, not cutting edge, and its overpriced.
Garrett's AT series is very popular, but it seems to sell primarily on its water resistance. It has rather ordinary features and performance. Its main selling point seems to be its the best performing, water resistant detector at the best price. I am not denigrating its performance, but it seems to sell on useful features, not eye-opening performance.
Now Minelab has the Go-Find. Another one-trick pony. It folds compactly and it says Minelab on the side. Another version of the Ace 250.
I would like to see something that combined the features and performance of the CTX, the ruggedness of the Fisher M66, and the compact storage of the Go-Find, for under $1000.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The GO Find detectors are basically entry level detectors..

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems to be sailing over everyone's head.

Well, after releasing the excal, etrac, ctx, GPX, GPZ, most people just expect everything they put out to be a top-of the line detector. There is a huge market for the low-end entry-level detectors and Minelab has decided to go after a share of that market.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, after releasing the excal, etrac, ctx, GPX, GPZ, most people just expect everything they put out to be a top-of the line detector. There is a huge market for the low-end entry-level detectors and Minelab has decided to go after a share of that market.

Exactly! As I said before, when they show a 10 year old kid in the ad it seems obvious who it is designed for. Last thing I want is another app to deal with, and a hard-wired land machine.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Garrett has done extremely well with the capturing the entry level market. It will be nice to see something giving those yellow annoying sounding detectors a run for their money. I think it was smart idea trying to capture this share of the market. They already have the high end market. A share of the mid level market with the X-tera. Why not get a bigger chunk of the entry level market. They own the waterproof salt water market. Smart move in my opinion.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett has done extremely well with the capturing the entry level market. It will be nice to see something giving those yellow annoying sounding detectors a run for their money. I think it was smart idea trying to capture this share of the market. They already have the high end market. A share of the mid level market with the X-tera. Why not get a bigger chunk of the entry level market. They own the waterproof salt water market. Smart move in my opinion.

Another little company called First Texas seems to be doing well in the entry level market as well, lol.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally I would rather have a detector I grow into vs one I grow out of.....

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am with TH on this one.

Being older, I also like to be able to grow into a detector. It sucks to spend a bunch of money, then put in the time learning what it can do, only to find out you REALLY need a different model that can do more.

To me, an entry level detector like the Go Find is what you get for someone just starting out in the hobby to see if they will get into it. If they get bored quickly, then you didn't drop $1000 only to have it not used.

Mike

CapeTownBeachBum

Sep 21, 2014
Cape Town
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 Teknetics G2 Fisher CZ 21
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Im still wondering about this auto ground balance .... how will salt water affect it ? F4 - F5 are also priced the same and work well in salt sand conditions .... they need to do a proper beach test and review .... also how is the depth ? .... Minelab need to do more than simple surface tests to convince me ....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread