Minelabs new GO FIND 20,40 and 60 Metal Detectors

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its seems somewhat thought out.... entry level?, maybe on T net, but $3 or 4 hundred dollars is a lot of money, a whole lot of money....
A really awesome blue tooth equipped 60 amp touch screen car stereo with a myriad of additional built in miracle technology is available for $175 all day long.......

And again they are that cheap because hundreds of thousands of them are sold every year... $500 million after market stereo sales in 2012...

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
So when you get a target hit the icon does not give you a idea of what you have ... And now that you got a hit you have to scroll through all the target icons and try to guess what the target is that you have ?.. Seems like a lot of time involved to ID a target.. And what would you blue tooth on the detector for ? It is already on my phone ..

"blue tooth" is to associate with high tech.
It sounds good, you know.?...
Also, at the component level, it costs $3 to make a device blue tooth compatible, so it is a small price to pay.

But Kep, in all fairness you should lay off this one. At least they are not asking $12,500.

Last edited:

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
And again they are that cheap because hundreds of thousands of them are sold every year... $500 million after market stereo sales in 2012...

Do you happen to have the figures for total metal detector sales?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you happen to have the figures for total metal detector sales?

I know the sales for the largest US distributor but I can't post them.....

I found report that says total sales worldwide for ALL forms of metal detectors including hobbyist metal detectors, metal detectors for security purposes, industrial metal detectors, full body scanners, and military detectors total 945 million.

Metal detectors for airports run from 10s of thousands to hundreds of thousands of dollars for each detector.

http://www.ibisworld.com/industry/metal-detector-manufacturing.html

Codan which owns Minelab reports total sales of their metal detector products for 2014 at about $70 million (approx 50% of total company revenue) which includes all detector sales, not just hobby detectors..

http://www.codan.com.au/Investors/AnnualReports/tabid/1198/Default.aspx

whitjake

Oct 12, 2013
Warren, Pa
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold bug 2, fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the machine being all computer based and smartphone based, will the software be updated? Is there a port on the machine to plug it into a computer or anything?? I am liking the 60 and thinking of getting it for my first machine and getting my kids into the hobby...

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am liking the 60 and thinking of getting it for my first machine and getting my kids into the hobby...
If I were you.....I'd not commit to that plunge for a first machine before there are more real world reviews of it, which won't come until after it's release.

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I were you.....I'd not commit to that plunge for a first machine before there are more real world reviews of it, which won't come until after it's release.

I agree. Currently the only YouTube videos available are from Minelab and vendors who will be selling this new model. Hardly an impartial jury. I reached out to Minelab to obtain a demo unit for review and testing on my channel, but they didn't even bother to respond.

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems some are missing the fact that these are entry level detectors and are expecting a lot . When you look at entry level they appear to be way ahead of the curve.

Way ahead of the curve? Do you mean in regards to it's portability? We don't know much about its performance or smartphone integration.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver,

Minelab hasn't made a "DUD" Detector that I know of. I have had SEVERAL Minelabs. Never had one that gave me any problems that weren't "operator issues"....... and I am not easy on detectors. My Excals went in salt water as well as beaches. I don't coinshoot in parks. I detect in the desert and in the mountains.

Garrett for a loooong time has been my favorite "entry level" detector with the ACE 150, 250, 350. Problem is, they sat on their respective butts. The only company out there pushing the metal detecting technology envelope has been Minelab.

Mike

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only company out there pushing the metal detecting technology envelope has been Minelab.

I'd say XP does a good job pushing the envelope, as there is nothing else like it on the market. And who knows what new functionality the 4.0 software will bring. That aside, I wasn't trying to say that it was going to be a dud, but rather that it is always best to save judgement until the consumers get their hands on it and can weigh in.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way ahead of the curve? Do you mean in regards to it's portability? We don't know much about its performance or smartphone integration.

Design wise. I'm willing to bet performance is on par or a little better with detectors like the ace series and f2 or etp. Which is all it is,a entry level detector. I believe at the price if your expecting performance of more expensive detectors you might be in for a disappointment. But for a first detector or a loaner it might just be a hit

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say XP does a good job pushing the envelope, as there is nothing else like it on the market. And who knows what new functionality the 4.0 software will bring. That aside, I wasn't trying to say that it was going to be a dud, but rather that it is always best to save judgement until the consumers get their hands on it and can weigh in.

I will give some credit to XP, but you can hardly call what they do as "pushing the envelope" in metal detecting technology. They have done more than most, but they rely on old technology. When Minelab realized that VHF Technology was taken about as far as it could be taken, they brought out Pulse Induction which revolutionized metal detecting. When they pushed that as far as they could (GPX5000), they spent an extra couple of years designing and building the all-new ZVT Technology, and now that seems to be ringing the bells in the goldfields.

I do agree with you 100% that reserving judgement until impartial reviews are in is a safe bet, but who wants to be safe? HAHAHA

Mike

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will give some credit to XP, but you can hardly call what they do as "pushing the envelope" in metal detecting technology. They have done more than most, but they rely on old technology. When Minelab realized that VHF Technology was taken about as far as it could be taken, they brought out Pulse Induction which revolutionized metal detecting. When they pushed that as far as they could (GPX5000), they spent an extra couple of years designing and building the all-new ZVT Technology, and now that seems to be ringing the bells in the goldfields.

I do agree with you 100% that reserving judgement until impartial reviews are in is a safe bet, but who wants to be safe? HAHAHA

Mike

You forgot that they completely changed the way a VLF detector can work. They changed the wave-form, they changed to using a time-domain sample and probably more that I'm forgetting about FBS technology.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're right. There are always haters, but there is no arguing with success. You can slap wireless headphones, bluetooth, chrome rims, and a bong on a detector, but that is not pushing any envelopes. When the way detectors fundamentally work is changed you can call that pushing the envelope.

.....and I'm not a Minelab Fanboy. I have played with several manufacturers, but have always liked Minelab best. I have a White's GM4b and a couple of Fisher two-boxes and a Fisher FX3 Ferro Probe. I buy what works for me.

Mike

Last edited:

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're right. There are always haters, but there is no arguing with success. You can slap wireless headphones, bluetooth, chrome rims, and a bong on a detector, but that is not pushing any envelopes. When the way detectors fundamentally work is changed you can call that pushing the envelope.

.....and I'm not a Minelab Fanboy. I have played with several manufacturers, but have always liked Minelab best. I have a White's GM4b and a couple of Fisher two-boxes and a Fisher FX3 Ferro Probe. I buy what works for me.

Mike

That is hilarious! The bong could be useful for some of the 'patients' here in California, lol.

Last edited:

littlehugger

Nov 23, 2005
I cant figure out what niche the new Minelabs are supposed to appeal to. I like the folding ability to a compact size, without assembly or disassembly. But it has a strong toy like appearance, which used to be the standard insult for bright green and yellow Garrett's. It does not seem to break any ground otherwise.
Minelab made its rep on its multi frequency aspect and exploiting the virtues of it. Then they come out with the X-Terra line, which seemed to be plain old single freq detectors that cost more because they had the Minelab name. Now, beeping toys?
Maybe they will expand on the new concept, but it leaves me cold. I like the easy foldability. It allows you to drop it in your backpack and take it out to the sticks and deploy it more easily. But a detector in that niche should have water resistance ability and the ability of quickly changing coils. Minelab only seems to have gone halfway.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cant figure out what niche the new Minelabs are supposed to appeal to. I like the folding ability to a compact size, without assembly or disassembly. But it has a strong toy like appearance, which used to be the standard insult for bright green and yellow Garrett's. It does not seem to break any ground otherwise.
Minelab made its rep on its multi frequency aspect and exploiting the virtues of it. Then they come out with the X-Terra line, which seemed to be plain old single freq detectors that cost more because they had the Minelab name. Now, beeping toys?
Maybe they will expand on the new concept, but it leaves me cold. I like the easy foldability. It allows you to drop it in your backpack and take it out to the sticks and deploy it more easily. But a detector in that niche should have water resistance ability and the ability of quickly changing coils. Minelab only seems to have gone halfway.

The Go-Find detectors niche is entry level detectors....Also good for traveling as they are compact, they can fit in carry on luggage or backpacks..

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm purchasing one because of the the advanced ease of usage and design excellence. I expect to have a dependable, quality, simple Minelab detector that I can leave in the car or backpack with, and that I can turn on and hunt! I am a relic hunter so I plan to use minimal discrimination. My other detectors, DFX and Fisher, do a great job at the more advanced tasks, but I nearly always leave them home when I travel.

The youth-friendly design is great as it will convey a message to viewers of play activity not serious extraction activities!

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cute. Not for me, though. Anyone notice the dirt collecting small holes on the bottom of the coil? Not the best design. IMO.

minelab-go-find-40-2.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions