Misc data and adventures of a Tayopa treasure hunter

Aug 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Furness pleased to meet you.

One thing I have always encountered anyone who had spent time up in that part of world there always have interesting stories as it was frontier town. There was fortunes won and lost in those days. I am a city girl now but you cannot get the country girl outta me.

Amy

Furness

Aug 23, 2008
Lancs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Amy. Thanks nice to meet you as well.

My stories are more humorous than hairaising and better told than written down. And certainly not on a par with Don Jose's stories. Or his wrestling with an anaconda.
I should imagine it was a bit of a shock to your parents weather wise compared to Finland. It rained once while I was there about 10 mm the local paper reported it as the first rain in 7 years.
Mine was arriving in a temperature of 90f in the shade and seeing a sign saying the local swimming pool was closed for the winter season.!
Then going to lake moondara to swim and coming out of the water to find a guy putting up signs at the beach area saying danger no swimming as crocks had been seen in the lake. Probably having moved further south during the last rains further north from up rum jungle way.

John

Not Peralta

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Senor Don Jose, why does yours look better than mine ? ( I am talking about the certificate :tongue3: )
View attachment 1295924
Simon1,:director::director: Since you seem to have a little bark in your humorous avatar, why don't you dig a hole and bury your advanced dated certificate,:tongue3::tongue3:It would make yours look better, please dig a deep hole,And have some burro juice, thank you.:hello::hello::hello: NP:cat:

Last edited:

Shortfinger

Apr 7, 2015
Valley Center, CA/Yuma, AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Amy. Thanks nice to meet you as well.

My stories are more humorous than hairaising and better told than written down. And certainly not on a par with Don Jose's stories. Or his wrestling with an anaconda.
I should imagine it was a bit of a shock to your parents weather wise compared to Finland. It rained once while I was there about 10 mm the local paper reported it as the first rain in 7 years.
Mine was arriving in a temperature of 90f in the shade and seeing a sign saying the local swimming pool was closed for the winter season.!
Then going to lake moondara to swim and coming out of the water to find a guy putting up signs at the beach area saying danger no swimming as crocks had been seen in the lake. Probably having moved further south during the last rains further north from up rum jungle way.

John

John,
With apologies to Don Jose, whose thread this is, let me say a few things. First, humorous is good. Second, just write them down the way you would tell them. This isn’t a contest, just a few good old boys (and girls, in some cases) sitting around a campfire telling tales. The croc hunting story was perfect, as was the anecdote in this post. Keep it up.

Now, on to something else. I visited Oz in 2008, spent about 5 weeks going from Mudjimba to Cooktown, with stops at Mackay, Townsville, and Cairns. Didn’t get any closer to Mt Isa than the gem fields (Sapphire) and Euengella, but it was the best trip of my life. Australia is a wonderful country, with some fantastic people. I wish I could afford to go back.

JB

Last edited:

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
MDOG.
That should help save you a chunk of change.
Grad students are generally eager to associate there name with the translation of old documents.

Those are the stepping stones of their careers.

That should help both, you and the student.

Best of luck on your project.

#/;0)~ (c)

Thanks Mikel. The Villemont project should keep me busy for awhile. The document is 11 pages and is an evaluation of a report by Villemont. I'm hoping there will be some evidence of his expedition's route. The professor found a translator for me. He's from Spain and is studying here in the States for a Ph. D in Latin American Studies. He's an underwater and traditional archeologist and an archivist. The professor is real confident that he will be able to help. It's going to cost me two-three hundred dollars but, considering his experience, I feel it's worth it and probably on the low side.

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
ah Simon, July 2017 hasn't arrived yet ?? (April Fools day) :laughing7::coffee2::coffee2:

I have time, so I guess I will hang around at least another year ?
You Can Do That.gif

J.A.A.

Sep 1, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Pro Pointer
Not to change the topic, but does anybody know where Oroblanco has been? I haven't seen posts from him in quite a while.

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may be wrong, but I think the last that I read, he and Mrs O went south for the winter.

ICBW
#/;0)~

Jun 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello CI,
This Bulgaria map... is it linked to the wax ball story , where the lads got caught a few years ago?
bananas

Aug 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Banana Skin Slippers.

This is I believe another one. The one you are referring to was from a time of conflict between the Ottoman empire and Russia in the 1850's. The Bulgarian treasure hunters who was caught did not understand that even the Bulgarian authorities read English language treasure hunting forums. They gave too much away of their identity location and what they were doing in Public.

Amy

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
Hello Banana Skin Slippers.

This is I believe another one. The one you are referring to was from a time of conflict between the Ottoman empire and Russia in the 1850's. The Bulgarian treasure hunters who was caught did not understand that even the Bulgarian authorities read English language treasure hunting forums. They gave too much away of their identity location and what they were doing in Public.

Amy

Several years ago a tnet member from Bulgaria sent me a pm about one of these bandit/freedom fighter treasures. He wanted to know how to avoid death traps inside a tunnel. I told him to stay out of the tunnel. He had accumulated quite a bit of research about this bandit and there were stories about this bandit using deadfalls and some type of powdered poison to boobytrap his cache sites. I helped him some with his research and warned him that he should be careful about protecting his information. Well, he got excited and started sending out pictures to members of another forum. Last I heard from him, some guy in Turkey posted his pictures and information on the internet. He was pretty broke up about it. This Bulgarian guy was a famous person in his country and could have been easily identified if he had given somebody else the same personal information he gave me. He also wanted my e-mail address, which I never gave him. Yeah, you gotta be careful.

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
I like reading the UFO and ghost stories that people write so I'll toss one out there. This happened in Vietnam in my old outfit. I wasn't there when it happened so I don't know if it's true or not, but I feel like talking so why let the truth get in the way of a good story. I was an infantryman in the 173rd Brigade in 1968 and this story took place in 1967. One of our companies was on patrol somewhere in the central highlands close to a place called Dak To. They had camped on the side of a mountain that was overlooking a narrow valley. On the other side of the valley was a mountain that our recon teams had seen some well used trails on. The plan for the next day was to cross the valley and move up the side of the mountain and see if any contact was made. Things were pretty quiet and the guys were nervous so nobody got any good sleep. Half way through the night, a light started glowing down on the valley floor. It started out small but gradually kept getting bigger. The guys were wondering what the heck was going on but nobody panicked and the ball of light just kept getting bigger until the whole valley was lit up. This went on for awhile and then, without a sound, the ball of light zoomed straight up into the sky and disappeared. Needless to say, the guys were kinda stunned. The next day preparations were made to cross the valley and move up the mountain. They did find an NVA base camp with evidence that the NVA had been there but moved out real fast. There was food still by the cooking fires, there was gear left behind, and even weapons were left where they were laid. The guys figured that the NVA had seen the same light that they had but had panicked and ran like hell. IF this story is true, there's no way to figure how many American lives were saved by a UFO.:thumbsup:

Aug 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent story mdog

Perhaps it was a form of ball lightning?

Some people claim the earth releases stress in faults by static electric discharges. In Australia we have what the natives call min min lights or Debil Debil. These light have been given many lights. I recalling from memory the Joplin spook lights? Jack o lanterns Willowisps. These lights are know all over the world with their own superstitions relating to them. Asian countries are superstitious by nature in General.

Amy

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back I the early 1970, s there was case reported to one of several insurance companies.

The man that saw it is retiring from his position of County Sheriff after the election this year.
It happened to his home while he was a city police officer, working with my dad.

It was not reported by a crackpot.

In the midst of a strong thunder storm. As the lightening took over the valley below his home, a strong lightening strike hit a tree then a ball of lightening took several small limbs and then traveled down an old split rain fence which carried it to his house where it came into the house thru the electric wiring exiting the outlets in several rooms.
It re-grouped into a single ball and bounced around the house as though it were trying to find its way out.
After setting several small fires in the house, it hit the tv and blew out the screens and followed the antenna wire to the top of the antenna and dispersed into the sky.

He witnessed all of this from his porch, then ran into the house and put out the small fires in the house by hand. He told my dad that he felt like it was searshing for him, and just couldn't find him but destroyed most of his electric appliances out of its frustration.
The insurance company sent a team to confirm the damage.

They cut him a check while they were there.

#/80{)~ ¥₩€

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back I the early 1970, s there was case reported to one of several insurance companies.

The man that saw it is retiring from his position of County Sheriff after the election this year.
It happened to his home while he was a city police officer, working with my dad.

It was not reported by a crackpot.

In the midst of a strong thunder storm. As the lightening took over the valley below his home, a strong lightening strike hit a tree then a ball of lightening took several small limbs and then traveled down an old split rain fence which carried it to his house where it came into the house thru the electric wiring exiting the outlets in several rooms.
It re-grouped into a single ball and bounced around the house as though it were trying to find its way out.
After setting several small fires in the house, it hit the tv and blew out the screens and followed the antenna wire to the top of the antenna and dispersed into the sky.

He witnessed all of this from his porch, then ran into the house and put out the small fires in the house by hand. He told my dad that he felt like it was searshing for him, and just couldn't find him but destroyed most of his electric appliances out of its frustration.
The insurance company sent a team to confirm the damage.

They cut him a check while they were there.

#/80{)~ ¥₩€

Thank you for the interesting story. Wow amazing!

Amy

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh Amy.

I've been knocked to my knees by lightening, more times than I care to remember.
I'll post about a few when I can remember which ones are the best...
Stories.
May be best if I wait 'till my 4am
Meds wear off....
#/:0)~

OP
OP
Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Mdog, remember they almost always intend to recover it in the future. I would tend to not worry about any poison being sprinkled around, sides none that are capable of being scattered are that quick acting, so they would have absconed with the teasure by the time that it reacts.

Traps in the tunnel are vastly overplayed. yes they exist, but.. Just common observation will generally account for most. They take a great amount of time, which most just do not have. Perhaps the early Spanish did, but ---

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread