Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DON JOSE, PRINT THAT AND,....

IF NOTHING ELSE, PUT IT BETWEEN TWO CHAPTERS. YOUR ADVENTURES PRIOR TO THAT ENCOUNTER, LED TO THAT ENCOUNTER. DID THEY NOT?

WHY ELSE WOULD A PERFECT STRANGER SEEK YOU OUT, WHILE ENJOYING :coffee2:, AMONGST THE LOVELY "FLOWERS"?

YOU HAVE MUCH TO WRITE.

#/;0)~

Shortfinger

Apr 7, 2015
Valley Center, CA/Yuma, AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, ladies and gentlemen, since Don Jose has started sharing more stories, I’ll throw another one out here. Gather around the campfire, pull up a rock or a log, pour a cup of coffee or the beverage of your choice and here we go. I call this one “The smartest dog I ever knew”. When I was younger, I had a 3/4 German Shepard, ¼ wolf dog. My roommate at the time had a pure bred German Shepard. I gave each dog a bone to chew on. I was watching out the front window, since I knew that my dog would finish his bone first, and would then try to take the bone from the other dog. Sure enough, my dog finished first. Ho looked around and saw me watching from the window, so he knew he would get in trouble for stealing the other dog’s bone. He turned back around and thought for about 30 seconds. Then he jumped up, ran to the front fence and started barking as if all the cats in the world were massing for an attack. However, there was actually nothing and no one on the street. Of course, the other dog immediately leaped up, dropped his bone, and ran to the fence to help repel the invasion. As soon as the other dog was at the fence barking, my dog stopped, turned around and got the bone, returned to his place on the lawn. He turned around to look at me as if to say “Hey, he obviously didn’t want it”. I let him keep the bone. I figured that any dog that could figure out such a clever plan to get a bone, deserved it.

:coffee2::coffee2::headbang::coffee2::coffee2:

JB

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Okay, ladies and gentlemen, since Don Jose has started sharing more stories, I’ll throw another one out here. Gather around the campfire, pull up a rock or a log, pour a cup of coffee or the beverage of your choice and here we go. I call this one “The smartest dog I ever knew”. When I was younger, I had a 3/4 German Shepard, ¼ wolf dog. My roommate at the time had a pure bred German Shepard. I gave each dog a bone to chew on. I was watching out the front window, since I knew that my dog would finish his bone first, and would then try to take the bone from the other dog. Sure enough, my dog finished first. Ho looked around and saw me watching from the window, so he knew he would get in trouble for stealing the other dog’s bone. He turned back around and thought for about 30 seconds. Then he jumped up, ran to the front fence and started barking as if all the cats in the world were massing for an attack. However, there was actually nothing and no one on the street. Of course, the other dog immediately leaped up, dropped his bone, and ran to the fence to help repel the invasion. As soon as the other dog was at the fence barking, my dog stopped, turned around and got the bone, returned to his place on the lawn. He turned around to look at me as if to say “Hey, he obviously didn’t want it”. I let him keep the bone. I figured that any dog that could figure out such a clever plan to get a bone, deserved it.

:coffee2::coffee2::headbang::coffee2::coffee2:

JB

Some dogs are very much problem solvers! Great story amigo. :thumbsup: :notworthy: I guess I have one I can tell, though it has nothing to do with treasure.

I had a Husky dog named Deamon; don't ask how he got the name, a great prospecting dog but he was never very friendly.... While we were living next door to my wife's parents, a neighbor kid (a big teenage boy) used to come to where the dog was tied and try to beat the dog with a stick, even though the dog was tied. The kid was also known for things like pulling the wings off of flies, and I caught him trying to hit the dog a couple times when he thought no one was home as that is the only time he would sneak in to torment the dog. Most Huskies won't back down and hitting them only makes them angry, which I tried to tell the stupid kid but he was getting his jollies trying to hurt a dog. Deamon did not particularly like being swatted with a stick, but one day I was working in the garage and this kid must have thought no one was home. Deamon came to the end of his chain as the kid came over to try to hit him, but Deamon was only pretending he was at the end of his chain, and the moment the kid stepped in range, he attacked. In the garage I heard a sort of "rrrrAAArrr" and then a high pitched little-girl type scream so came running to find Deamon had the kid down on the ground standing on his chest, showing him all his pretty teeth right in his face. I had to laugh and I told the kid to never come back again, because the dog can actually break the chain if he wants. <Huskies are amazingly strong, a fifty pound dog can easily drag a 200 pound man around> The kid was not hurt but he wet his pants and I never had him sneaking around again. Dogs really are problem solvers sometimes. :laughing7:

Please do continue:
:coffee2: :coffee2:

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
Good dog stories. My neighbor had a lassie sized collie. He called it his paper dog. He trained that dog to watch for the paper and go fetch it after it arrived. later he taught him how to open the mailbox and retrieve his mail for him. He lived at the end of a fairly long driveway, so having the dog fetch them saved him walking time to the mailbox. The dog would deliver the paper and mail to his favorite chair or lay it outside the door before he got up. Many people offered to buy that dog but he wouldn't part with it. Some dogs are naturally smart and many can be taught all kinds of things like tricks or how to do errands of some sort. Good Luck. rockhound

Shortfinger

Apr 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good dog stories. My neighbor had a lassie sized collie. He called it his paper dog. He trained that dog to watch for the paper and go fetch it after it arrived. later he taught him how to open the mailbox and retrieve his mail for him. He lived at the end of a fairly long driveway, so having the dog fetch them saved him walking time to the mailbox. The dog would deliver the paper and mail to his favorite chair or lay it outside the door before he got up. Many people offered to buy that dog but he wouldn't part with it. Some dogs are naturally smart and many can be taught all kinds of things like tricks or how to do errands of some sort. Good Luck. rockhound

Yeah, most dogs can learn tricks, and do things that they are taught. The ones that can reason out a situation, like mine and Oro's are the ones that are really smart....

JB

Not Peralta

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello:I never had a dog,:laughing7:One thing I could never stand is barking all night,so I finally got rid of my cat that had too much German Shepard in it.then the barkng stopped.:laughing7::dontknow:NP:cat:

Last edited:

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
:hello:I never had a dog,:laughing7:One thing I could never stand is barking all night,so I finally got rid of my cat that had too much German Shepard in it.then the barkng stopped.:laughing7::dontknow:NP:cat:

Cat?

husky1.png

8176aff6d81e88f75f46a2ee9ae1c3da.jpg

I used to have a photo of that dog Deamon actually up a tree after a raccoon, he climbed up about fifteen feet to get the critter by hugging the trunk like a bear. And he got the coon too! Unfortunately that photo was among what was lost in a fire, wish I had managed to save it because no one would believe how a dog can go up a tree if they want to.

Now I have a challenge for a treasure hunting type story here, how about telling us of a time when you slept in the back of your pickup for a super simple camp, and then.....<please do proceed>

:coffee2: :coffee2:

OP
OP
Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was working as an assayer at the Sabina mine. While it wasn't isolated i the true sense, it was 2 hr ride through open country that hosted only a few ranchos. I would get off for a day or so every two wees. My wife and I used to go to the nearest town, Navajoa, Sonora, for supplies, course we always included hard candies for the isolated ranch kiddies, for their and their mothers, delight.

The summer moonsoons had arrived and it rained almost every day. So we had to plan our trips in between thnder storms.

There was one patch we calle the Llanreros, it was a wide velley with a central water course running through it, no problem except that it was pure adobe.

I don't know if you have ever experienced pure adobe that was wet. It is exactly like heavy grease. Off road tires are useless since it would quickly fill up any design in the tire, even the heavy knobbed ones promoted as off road . Loose Chains are the only way to go.

In effect you would end up with a smooth faced tire. You can imagine how difficult t would b to try to drive cross country in more wet Adobe - impossible, no traction or stearability.

Since a heavy storm had hit the area an hour or so before we arrived, it was impossible to proceed, so we decided to wait the night out and try to continue the next morning.

The pickup bed was loaded with suppplies, so we decided that my wife should try to sleep in the cabin alone, she could partially stretch out without me. She left the windows open since it was so hot and humid, while I proced to make myself comfortable ??? on the tail gate. Fortunately it was fairly level.

a few hours after darkness fell. I was awakened by a series of grunts, a pair of big cats talking back and forth. Knowing my wife could hear them also, I called out "listen to the farmers pigs. She remined silent. She told me the other day that she knew what they were that's my wifie.

At one time one or more were directly under the tail gate and I was getting nervous knowing that a big cat was noseing round only a few feet from me in the dark

This went on throughout the night, keeping me awake. ( and nervous )The next morning I found what the attraction was, it wasn't me, but a yearling that had drowned during one of the heavy runoffs just across the road, and the cats were feeding on it

If I had known I would have been extremely nervous, it doesn.t pay to get between Jaguar and her feeding sites, they get extremely nervous and aggressive

From the tracks we estimated that they must have been in the 350 lb class, a rareity in Sonora which generly run betwen 150 - 350 lbs. - I would be considered at disadvantage - no firearms or claws, let alone teeth.

Last edited:

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THAT'S ANOTHER "PRINT AND PLACE IN THE BOOK" PAGE!!

PRETTY SOON, ALL YOU WILL HAVE TO DO IS STITCH THOSE TOGETHER.

KEEP IT UP, JOSE !!

:cat::cat:
#/;0)~

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Well Don Jose, el Tropical Tramp - you have crossed that line. I will make it a point to get the real Ariosa (original cowboy coffee) for you and of course with the sock for our next rendezvous, which we will have to arrange.

Also, ditto to what ProspectorMikel said - you probably already have enough materials just string it all together and the public awaits! :thumbsup: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

:coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee:

Shortfinger

Apr 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THAT'S ANOTHER "PRINT AND PLACE IN THE BOOK" PAGE!!

PRETTY SOON, ALL YOU WILL HAVE TO DO IS STITCH THOSE TOGETHER.

KEEP IT UP, JOSE !!

:cat::cat:
#/;0)~

I love it when a plan comes together. My idea all along was to get him writing, even if only on this forum. Then, when he is ready to write the book, most of will already be here.

Don Jose, congratulations, another great story. I have driven some of that adobe, and you are quite correct about the difficulty. I also had a similar area where the road bed was packed adobe, but if you got off the road, there was only a thin hard pack crust, and if you broke through, you went up to the frame in soft mud. That took me about 6 hours to get back onto the road bed...

:coffee2::coffee2::coffee2::coffee2:

Not Peralta

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Real, Amigo:hello:
:coffee2:exactly what time is breakfast, sounds good to me ,I will bring the BAR B Q goat legs for dinner,:laughing7:NP:cat:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread