misplaced or lost ?

Blindbowman

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you ever lose your keys , and then hunt all over for them and wonder what you did with them last .where do you normally leave them .. or has some lost them for you .. then you find them right where you left them .or they show up out of place and you never remember how you could have lost them there .or they show up someplace they would have never been .. leaving you asking yourself how did they get there .. and how about the friend that loses their keys and ask you to help find them . now you have a real problem because you are not the one that had them last .or someone you don't even know is looking for something and you being a treasure hunter jump right into the hunt not even knowing what it looks like but your part of the hunt now ..now you're faced with the skill of the hunter . do you search everywhere or do you start with the most likely spots or do you look in the most logical places ..
and what if you are looking for something and you find something else you have been looking for ,or as you hunt you keep finding things that interest you but they are not what you were looking for ..and how about the person that says they had them in one room and you keep searching that room and can't find them ..and really how many places could they be under this or under that . in there behind that just out of sight or someone kick them under there or they fell in there . now i think you get the idea ! lost is only misplaced or forgotten , maybe the person that knew where it is has past away or is not there ..any more or forgot what it looks like or how to find it ,..who is the most skilled to find it , if the person that had it is no longer there ...is the person that read about in some book or the person that hunts for things often or the thinker that isolates the odds of where it could be ..how about the not knowing what it looks like . how do find something when you don't know what it looks like . and what if why you're looking for that set of keys you find a dozen sets of keys and you don't know what the ones you were hunting for looked like and now you have a dozen sets of keys and you don't know if you have the right set .. than some wise a** from NY comes along and finds your keys and he wasn't even looking for them and stands up and says here they are and no one believes him .. ! the fact is when something is lost it is lost till it is found and the truth of the matter is symple . if someone walks up and find a set of keys and you never listen to them ,you may never know if he has found your keys ...so if you don't listen by all means keep looking i will wait till your done ...

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I took my dog Aggie for a hike once in an area east of Silver City that I'd explored a couple hundred times and knew intimately. An area packed with two-track roads, foot trails, native ruins, petroglyph sites, landmark peaks and creeks, old cavalry camps, some old mines - I knew them all, like the back of my hand. We parked at a FS trailhead, as usual, and took off cross country, as usual. I didn't have much time that day, so it would be just an hour or two hike. I had a destination in mind about a mile from the truck. I didn't have my GPS with me that day, but that was OK - I didn't need it. (I thought).

After just a few minutes (I thought), we encountered small bunch of elk, and since Aggie didn't chase animals, I decided to just follow the elk a while. I frequently wandered randomly in that terrain, hoping to run across something new and interesting. After another short while (I thought) we encountered what looked like a mine dump up on the side of a hill. Climbing up, sure enough, it was an old open mine shaft I was previously unaware of - about 40 feet deep. Cool. Aggie kept getting too close to the open hole, so I decided to come back later alone and explore the site more. From the shaft, I could see my destination still ahead of me - a tall hill called Castle Knob. Looking back to where I parked (I thought), I triangulated the mine's position and figured it would be easy to return to - I was only 10-15 minutes from the truck (I thought). Besides, there was an odd wheel-thing with an axel sticking straight up 8-10' right next to the shaft. I flagged it. No problem (I thought).

Long story short: I tried to locate that mine at least a dozen times over the next three or four years. The first few trips I expected to walk right to it, but seemed to keep missing it. Then I mapped the area, expanded the target zone and grid-searched it carefully several times, each time failing, not understanding why I was failing and getting more confused and frustrated. I finally gave up and continued my usual hiking life of seeking out and locating fun stuff in the hills, usually successfully, as I'm good at it. But, Aggie's lost mine? I was totally perplexed until my searching buddy called me one day and said, "Hey, I found your lost mine. Here's the coordinates." It was a half mile away from where it "should have been." I had originally badly misjudged distance and time from my truck to the mine. Very badly.

Lessons learned: we're all subject to misjudgments, incorrect assumptions and, of course, losing things - usually due to lack of focus at important times, IMO. Oh, and don't forget to take along your GPS.

Wheel south.jpg

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's called age. I deal/suffer from it almost everyday.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions